Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 594

0 members and 594 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rat Genetics

Thanks

Rat Genetics

Rat genetics are just too much fun! I have three of my breeding females currently with litters born within days of each other. All three females are minks. Two are pure mink in color, one is a mink with an odd darker brown hood going on (she may be a tri-color or some odd thing...we never could figure her out). One of the minks is this one's daughter by the way, the third mink is one I bought as a feeder and "promoted" to a breeder.

All three Mink females (Patches, Liz and Liza) were bred by Damian, our Self Black. It's very cool to see the amazing variety of their babies. We have blacks, minks, and a ton of albino's in one litter. A few that I'm still waiting to see what in heck they are! The three litters are just becoming fuzzies so I can see the end result of their coat colors better over the next few days and I'll have to grab a few pictures.
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Rat Genetics

I agree rat genetics are very interesting and can get very complicated with all the diluted genes and such. I bet we'll see over time that ball python genetics are a lot more complex than just co-dom, recessive and dom traits that we see and hear about today. Time will tell but the Platty project is a fair example for now.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

They sound mighty cute, Jo! Can't wait to see pictures of them!
    -- Judy

Thanks

Here's pics I just took of the three mink momma's and their litters.

This is Patches. This litter are 15 day old pups and originally numbered 10 (5 have been fed off at this point). At this point 1 black, 3 minks and the 1 little cute marked one remain. The ones that were fed off were some more blacks and some albinos. The cute one with the dalmationing on his sides and the diamond on his head will be kept if he is really a she (forgot to sex the little one when I was snapping pics).

This is Liz. Either she or Liza is Patches daughter from her first litter (at some point I mixed them up so who really knows LOL). Liz has 10 fuzzies that are 9 days old. 2 blacks, 3 minks and 5 albinos.

This is Liza (I can only tell her from Liz but their slightly different and tiny white chest markings). She birthed her litter of 7 on the same day as Liz. She has 5 albinos (I'm not sure if they really are albinos as some don't appear as white as they should at this point), 2 blacks and not 1 mink.

This is Damian. He fathered all of the above litters (3 for 3 on his first time in the breeding tub...go Damian! ). He is a nice black rat but didn't want to sit still for a photo tonight so this one is from last month.

~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Awww!! I love that little one with the diamond on the forehead! I'd be hard pressed to feed that one off even if it was a boy. I have some of my first hoodeds with my last litter. They are soo cute. And even a beautiful black girl. She may have to stick around as well.

You need to take more pics!!
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

LOL never get me started taking rat colony pics. I have way too much time on my hands tonight and way too many cute rats!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Grabbed a couple more shots of the cute rat pup, which turns out to be female so it will not get fed off after all. No name yet but it's sure a cute one.

Almost looks like it's waving at that camera LOL....

Cute little face markings make it appear to be smiling all the time....
    Last edited by frankykeno; 12-08-2006 at 10:24 AM. Reason: resizing pics
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

How cute! I'm so glad that she is going to get promoted. (and thanks for more pics of her too) I could keep so many of my rats, expect for the fear that my husband would kill me.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

And just because Christie asked LOL....here's a few more from the female group. These are all young females not yet large enough for their first run through the breeding tub.

First up is SweetiePie. For any of you that remember my favorite female rat, HoneyChild, this is her daughter from her last litter (the runt actually). We kept her back (with her sister Big Bertha and her brother SuperNova) to continue Honey and Casanova's excellent lines. She's an almost exact replica of her mom and I hope she will be as good a producer and as nice a natured rat as HC ever was (HC is enjoying her retirement). Oddly SweetiePie seems to have black eyes when usually they have ruby eyes with this color coat....

This is Tiffany (named after the diamond store). She's a full sister to Daisy Mae pictured below as well as to Lightning one of our new male breeder rats (their mother is the really cute capped rat Squeekers, their father was an unknown pet store male who ummm wandered by LOL)....

This is Tiff's sister, Daisy Mae. She was too goofy looking to not keep LOL. She's a really sociable rat. Due to her being so white and having the split cap thing I'm not too sure about the whole megacolon gene thing so she'll only be bred to Damian the self black to reduce those issues hopefully.

~~Joanna~~

Thanks

We actually were a bit short of females for awhile Christie so I was happily promoting some of the nicer marked females. We're trying to have 4 to 6 females per male (we have 3 males right now all rotating breeding cycles). We wanted to open up our genetic pool after using only Casanova for so long.

Right now we have 9 breeding size females with these 3 girls coming up soon so we're at our goal finally of a nice 1:4 ratio. This way I can produce what we need, have some spare to sell and still give my females a nice rest between litters.

Now that the cute one is being kept I'll sort through and pick 2 more females to grow up with her as I like my breeding sets of females to be similar in age and development.
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast