Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,928

2 members and 2,926 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Day/Night Cycle

Thanks

Day/Night Cycle

I've always thought it was necessary to maintain a consistent day/night cycle for my snake - however, I just skimmed through the BP Husbandry FAQ, and in response to the question regarding day/night cycles, the answer was:

Ambient light is adequate for the average BP. If you are trying to induce breeding, then a more specific light cycle should be utilized.

So... does this mean that it's ok to not have a strict day/night cycle, or any day/night cycle at all? If this is true, then it makes my life a hundred times easier, as I'm currently in college, and keeping a regular schedule isn't the easiest thing to do.

I've maintained a 10day/14night schedule, but is it possible to just keep the terrarium the same brightness (or darkness) the entire day?

Thanks

Re: Day/Night Cycle

Well, if you keep lights on 24/7 you will stress out your nocturnal snake. However, it will not harm him if the cage is dark for most of the day. If you have your lights on late at night, just drape a blanket over the cage to darken it.. and remove it in the morning.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

I personaly think it is always best to try and duplicate the natural conditions that your BP would experience in the wild. A good thing is that BP's don't require any type of full spectrum light, so ambient daytime light is sufficient. For night time hours, I switch to a red heat lamp controlled with a rheostat. Of course if you have other people coming and going it may be out of your hands to control the ambient light after dark. You could just cover your enclosure with a dark sheet or other light blocking material. If you do this though, keep safety in mind and don't let any heat lamps get too close to your material. Also keep in mind that by doing it this way, it will affect your humidity somewhat, but should be alright.
    Good luck and keep us posted as to how this works out for you.

Thanks

I've generally used a heat lamp during the day, and covered the entire vivarium at night with a towel, leaving space for ventilation. Whenever I do this, the humidity generally goes from 50%-60%. I have the light fixture lowered at night so that it is almost touching the towel, but enough space is left so that there's sufficient air to cool it.

As I didn't have the foresight to purchase an infrared bulb, I've had to deal with a light on in my room 24/7 - I have a moonlight bulb and an infrared bulb on the way now, however, and I hope that will be a more pleasant nighttime solution.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Since my snakes are all in my basement i turn the lights on at night and turn them off when i get up.Sometimes i forget to turn the lights on and sometimes turning them off lol.Never any problems with my snakes.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

My one snake is in a glass vivarium in the living room. He gets whatever light that we get. He has made his own schedule. Sometimes I see him moving around during the day, but it is rare. During the night he usually explores ways to get out of his "cage", but sometimes he stays in his hide.

I don't think he cares what the ambient light is...
    -Akiva

1.0 Norm BP - Fluffy
    0.1 Wife - Nina
    1.1 Children - Sam, Aura