Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,481

0 members and 1,481 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeding question. In the tank or out?

I own a cornsnake, and the prevailing opinion is that corns should be fed f/t prey in a seperate container to avoid injury and ingestion of substrate respecitvely. Well, I recently acquire my first BP, and her [frozen] mice are in the mail. I plan on feeding her tomorrow.

My question is should she be fed in her cage on the substrate or on a small dish (I was thinking of using a frisbee) or does she need to bed fed in a seperate container? Pretty basic question, I know. I'm just curious to know what most folks do. Thanks.

Edit: I also wanted to add that one reason I undserstand corns should be fed in seperate containers is so they do not learn to associate opening the lid of their cage and sticking your hands in with food, therefore making them more likely to strike at your hands in the future. I can only assume the same general properties of conditioning apply to BP's as well. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Re: Feeding question. In the tank or out?

Quote Originally Posted by nebby3103
    I own a cornsnake, and the prevailing opinion is that corns should be fed f/t prey in a seperate container to avoid injury and ingestion of substrate respecitvely. Well, I recently acquire my first BP, and her [frozen] mice are in the mail. I plan on feeding her tomorrow.

My question is should she be fed in her cage on the substrate or on a small dish (I was thinking of using a frisbee) or does she need to bed fed in a seperate container? Pretty basic question, I know. I'm just curious to know what most folks do. Thanks.

Edit: I also wanted to add that one reason I undserstand corns should be fed in seperate containers is so they do not learn to associate opening the lid of their cage and sticking your hands in with food, therefore making them more likely to strike at your hands in the future. I can only assume the same general properties of conditioning apply to BP's as well. Any thoughts?
    As long as you open the tank for more than just feeding and changing water, you are okay. They will associate your hand with food if you only go in there when it is feeding time. Handle the snake and all will be fine. A lot of people choose to feed in their normal tank so you don't have to handle them while they are full and still in hunting mode(when they are likely to strike)
    lots of snakes

Thanks

i feed in rack on a paper plate..f/t..i dont dangle
    ~~Cristina~~
    1.0.0-Spider Bp (MJ)
    1.1.0-Pastel (Mya,Milo)
    0.1.0-Albino Bp (Bananahead)
    1.0.0-Het albino Bp (Steve)
    1.2.0-Normal (Lava,Hera,Zeus)
    0.1.0- BCI (Beauty)
    0.1.0- Hog Island Boa (Juliet)

Thanks

i feed in the tank

Thanks

Personally, I feed in rack on the substrate. I rarely do live anymore, usually p/k. If I have a problem eater, I will usually dangle it through the opening in the rack or in front of the hide they are in.
    lots of snakes

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Many people including me feeding the tank. Its warm smells the same they can hide right after eating they can find the best spot for digestion. In a young Ball substrate is somewhat of a thing to watch out for but in an older ball not somuch. I mean you wouldn't want them swallowing like 5 gallons of the stuff, but lets face it their prey has teeth and bones and nails so a little aspen shouldn't hurt any thing. If it makes you nervous you can feed outside the tank. But be warned they will still be in feeding mode and here you go sticking your hand in feeding container. the way they'll see it is comes another warm thing their way, might be a rat and Whack. You might get a feeding responce or fear bite or strike. They feel at their most exposed when right after they feed. As for the lid question. That only happens if you only open the lid to feed and water and nothing else. You might get taged cause you scared your ball or suprised it. Handle your snake for a few minutes every week at least. And check one them twice a week and then they'll never know if it food or just Nebby waking them up again.

Hope this helped - Ed

Congrats on the new python.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

I feed in a seperate smaller empty tank. From what every body says it might be better to feed in its tank. Mine is too lazy to hunt and the mouse avoids the end of the tank she's in. I haven't had any problems yet *knock on wood* but alot of people say there's a big possibilty.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

All of mine are fed in their enclosures, on their substrate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    All of mine are fed in their enclosures, on their substrate.
    ditto
    bryan

Thanks

Yep, in enclosures on their substrate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast