Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,445

1 members and 3,444 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

what would you do?

so I want to breed my bp's. Looking to start it within 2yrs, but i'm torn on which way to go. what I have so far
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 normal
    1.0 albino
    0.2 normals

Now I know I need more females for starters. I plan to purchase some adults when the time comes. I want to get at least one spider, but I'm hard up for cash right now. So what would you do in the current situation. Also If we threw a spider in the mix what would you do male or female which would be better?

Thanks

Re: what would you do?

Get your females first. The males only need a year, and chances are prices may be slightly lower on males in 2 years, so you'll save money there.

Morph females are always a great investment. Starting off buying the males doesn't really make a whole lot of sense if breeding is your only focus.

Moreover, its not easy to find breedable adult females. No reputable breeder would part with their breeder girls (they are worth their weight in gold) and if you do find someone willing to sell one, chances are 1) you'll pay out the wazoo for her or 2) Its a girl that has thrown duds or never laid at all or some other issue that makes them not worth keeping.

*edit

Did you mean that you have those males already or that's what you wanted to start with? Sorry for the confusion...
    Last edited by elevatethis; 12-04-2006 at 04:07 PM.
    -Brad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viper94bite
    what I have so far
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 normal
    1.0 albino
    0.2 normals
    how big are they all right now?
    just curious...

Thanks

they all have atleast 1-2 yrs to be breeding size. My current females are about 600g and the male are all about 200-250g as of right now. So I have awhile.

Thanks

I mean, what morphs do you like?

With what you have, you could get a female spider and make bees, female het albino and make more albinos, female pastels could give you super pastels, etc etc.

Do something that you like. I couldn't imagine feeding and cleaning up after an animal, male or female, that I didn't genuinely enjoy keeping.
    -Brad

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by viper94bite
    so I want to breed my bp's. Looking to start it within 2yrs, but i'm torn on which way to go. what I have so far
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 normal
    1.0 albino
    0.2 normals

Now I know I need more females for starters. I plan to purchase some adults when the time comes. I want to get at least one spider, but I'm hard up for cash right now. So what would you do in the current situation. Also If we threw a spider in the mix what would you do male or female which would be better?
    If I was you I would try to get 1 or 2 het albino females, one pastel female and if you can 1 spider female that would allow you if you are lucky and the odds are with you to have a nice little start.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Females are all important. I'd get some small to mid-size now. I've discovered that buying a grown female you can get screwed. I bought 5 adults, and when I recieved them, they had all JUST laid. Were even still slack-bellied. So I could not breed them last year when I got them(which is why I bought adults) and some or all may not go this year either. And this is after paying top dollar. At least I know for certain they are all females!
    Getting some smaller females now, that makes a great deal of sense, raising them up yourself.
    I'll echo the above,
    Get het albino females, a spider female(she will give you more spiders, pastels, and bumblebees when bred to your male pastel, AND female spiders are cheaper than males anyway!) and some nice normals or pastels too. If you can afford to get hets or morphs, do that instead. Co-dom breeders will give you more bang for your buck than plain normals.
    Example:
    Pastel male x spider female = pastels, spiders,bumblebees
    Pastel male x het pied female = pastels 50% het pied, 50% het pieds
    Etc etc. Even if you don't have a male of that particular het, you'll still be ahead of the game getting possible hets, instead of definate normals.
    Wolfy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis
    I mean, what morphs do you like?

With what you have, you could get a female spider and make bees, female het albino and make more albinos, female pastels could give you super pastels, etc etc.

Do something that you like. I couldn't imagine feeding and cleaning up after an animal, male or female, that I didn't genuinely enjoy keeping.
    problem is I like them all. Even the normals. Only thing with normals is you really don't get anything out of them to make it worth you while other then practice. Every spider morph out there is beautiful, as are the albinos and pastels. I would love to get Pie's but thats an expensive one to get into. I am hoping to breed some to get money for a piebald.

Thanks

well, personally if i were buying a spider i would go with a male, just because you can breed a male to 5 females. that is alot of spiders to produce. But with what you have right now, i'd buy a 100% het albino female, and a few more normal females.

then you could start off by producing more pastels and you could then keep all the female pastel's and use them to make designer morphs, and then make albino's also.

Thanks

If your givnig yourself 2 years before you start, you can get as many normal females right now as you can. That way in 2 years, they are sexually mature, or maybe a year off.

Once you have your females growing, somewhere in the next year or so you can pick up that spider if you still want it.

In the short term you could try and find the biggest female you can afford, and at least make some pastels, or albinos hets within the next year or so.
    Chad
    0.3 BP Normals
    1.0 BP 66% Het for Albino
    0.1 BP 100% Het for Albino
    Snake Feeding Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast