Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,581

1 members and 2,580 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Mouse Baby Mystery

I recently made a setup for mice in my garage so that I may breed them. I had a male living in there by himself for a couple weeks before the pet store I visit on a regular basis was ready to sell me a pregnant mommy. Well about 1 week ago I purchased a obviously pregnant mouse from them, brought her home and introduced her to her new home (with the male!). Well about 2 days after that she laid the litter... I have no clue how many because I did not witness the birth. I checked on them that night and found one little pinky under mom. Then about 2 days later found nothing in the entire tub.

Questions:

Should I have introduced her to a new home with a new male?

Did the male kill the litter?

Did mom just eat every one of her babies to recycle the protien for the next litter?

Can someone explain what they think happened here please?
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    1.1 Nerd Lemon Pastel & VPI Pastel
    1.1 100% Het Albino and Homo Albino
    1.1 100% Het Butterscotch/Yellow Hypo
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mouse Baby Mystery

well there is a good chance the male killed and ate the babies as they weren't his... i would have put her into a tub alone personally esp since mice can get pregnant immediately after giving birth... no time for recoup!

mom could have also eaten the pups as she would have been pretty stressed out with a new male in the tank with her... she also could have been a first time mom and the added stress of moving her could have caused this.

feed her well... lots of yummy healthy treats (thin peanut butter between two stone wheat thin crackers... for example) and see how she does with the next litter. female mice REALLY like another mama mouse with them when they have babies... to help out with the litter. just so you know
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Thanks for you insight Aleesha. I will definitely make sure she is getting the proper treats and nutritional value she deserves along with a female companion! I'm just kind of bummed out because she sold me the pregnant female because she had no pinkies for my corns. The litter was laid and they where supposed to be food!

All in all I ended up getting some pinkies from another store and everyone ate on schedule. Thanks for your time.

-
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    1.1 Nerd Lemon Pastel & VPI Pastel
    1.1 100% Het Albino and Homo Albino
    1.1 100% Het Butterscotch/Yellow Hypo
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

I agree the goddess, probably wasn't a good idea to drop an already pregnant female in with a different male. The female could have even "helped" in the decimation because of the unfamiliar/new male causing her stress.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

Yes, two no no's....new male and already pregnant female. If you want to try to be ahead by getting an already pregnant female, get a few of them and keep them away from the male. Better yet, feed off the male and buy pregnant females and a male from the same tank (they will already all know each other). If you can't do that, start off with a male and female and let things work out themselves out. ANd be patient. First time mothers can eat their young. ALso, sometimes rival females will eat each others babies although usually they help each other. I worked at a pet store, I saw all kinds of wierd things going on in those tanks (which were NOT seperated by gender so there were MANY)

Thanks

Oh, I have to say one of the funnier moments at the pet store was when this little kid saw this hamster cage. It was at perfect eye level. Well, the hamsters were ...."making more hamsters" right in front of this kids nose. The kid asked his mom what they were doing....they were slammed against the glass of the cage. The poor mother's face...ahhhhh, good times.