Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,582

4 members and 2,578 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

African Soft furred

Well, I went to an expo yesterday and came back with some frozen feeders and a trio of baby soft fur rats.....they are quite timid and nippy...I'll keep you updated...wish me luck

Thanks

Re: African Soft furred

oh, and I only paid 20 bucks for these guys, the guy who sold them to me said he had sooo many at home, he figured he would bring some with him to the expo. I am glad he did.

Thanks

oh i hope they warm up to you! I am getting some this weekend too, i'm quite excited.

Thanks

You'll love em! if not as food as just interesting animals to observe. My first trio are very forward about using their mouths but the majority of the offspring seem to be better since they know our smells.

I have been kinda explaining to others that the insane prices of $75 - $100 per trio wouldn't last long. I can relate with the guy who said he has to many LOL I'm not there yet but making my way. Enjoy the benefits of those little guys...but be warned 3 can quickly turn into 40+ in a few months!
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

That is awesome. I kept watching them yesterday. My dog (dauchshund/poodle mix) was VERY interesed. I kept having to tell him to leave them alone because he was just nutty about it. The cat was watching them like it was his own personal tv, not really trying to get to them, just looking at them like they were amusing. I should get pics up, they are unlike rats OR mice if you really look. Their fur is very interesting too. I haven't touched them and the guy who sold them to me would not either, he moved them around with a pen to show them to me. I think their babies will be nicer because I plan to handle them a lot. They may be predisposed to be nippy but maybe we can breed that out of them.

And the freezer has plenty of room once this takes off..lol.

TEK, you are the one that actually made me aware of these guys, so thanks. I got them for the size they get and mainly for decreased smell. I kind of got them into my house incognito because my inlaws would not approve (they don't even know about the snake). Irresponsible? Yes. Am I having fun? you bet.

~Tiffany

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Mine are all nippy, even the babies. They are high strung, and not easily handled. The fur is very soft to the touch.
    They are entertaining, and I have.. a lot now. I'd love to get rid of them, maybe keeping only a pair or trio, but only for the aforementioned entertainment. The babies are REALLY high strung and hyper. I haven't noticed a hugh decrease in smell, but they do tend to use a corner of the pen for a bathroom. If you spot clean just that once a week, it is really pretty good.
    They don't seem to drink nearly as much water either.
    Anyone in Florida wanting some, cash or trade, I got some. Really.. I do.. you want them, you know you do...
    Wolfy

Thanks

Naughty!!!!

You'll like the babies for sure they are so soft and stay soft to adults! There is nothing like a handful of warm fuzzy af rat babies.

Wolfy maybe something weird in your blood line? None of mine are high strung, if anything when I check in on them they stop what they are doing and stand up to see what's going on. If I put my hand in with any of the babies (the main trio would bite for sure) they don't really do much. I grab anyone of them easily for inspection...or a date with one of the snakes. My mice on the other hand are more like your describing with ziping all over and freaking out when I am into their tub but it doesn't last long.

They do have a smell but its not bad at all in my setup and I have to put my face right in the tub to smell it. Could be feeding difference or air cirulation...who knows. I still clean the tubs weekly as I have been doing with the other rodents. I find that while they will use a certain corner more often than not there are still lots of little turds down in the bedding even when the surface looks clean.

My wife's Jack russel when in the room has her nose glued to closest tub she can reach and will watch whatever rodents are inside for hours on end. Its funny sometimes she gets very shaky and worried...I think its more instinct than fascination. She is a VERY good mouser when we need her to be!

*edited for spelling
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

aww. thats cute, i'm intrested to see how my dog reacts to the new rats...I really don't think that she will care much, for heaven's sake, the snakes crawl on here, and she could care less (dont worry i don't make a practice of doing that)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Heres a couple pics of mine

And some babies

Thanks

Where do you guys get these rats from?
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast