Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,828

0 members and 2,828 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Tub size question

I am trying to draw up a plan for a breeding rack and was wondering which size tub would be better to breed a few rats in. The Sterilite 1844 20 Qt tub is about 11X16 and about 9 inches deep. The Sterilite 1854 12 Qt tub is 11X16 as well but only about 5.5 inches deep. Can I breed a male and two females in the larger tub and move preg females to the smaller tub until after the offspring are weaned? After that I would sort the young by sex and put them in either the larger or smaller tubs according to size, and of course use some as feeders and freeze some. Any suggestions would be great!
    Be good to your family.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Tub size question

Floor space is more important then height, I'd go with the shorter boxes, it'll make it easier for newly weaned babies to reach the food source. 11X16 is a bit on the small side, I wouldn't set these up as breeding boxes but it should work out fine as a maternity tub for 1 or 2 nursing mothers. Though it would probably work fine with 1.2 breeders if you move the male to another tub once the females are pregnant. Also tubs that are smooth on the inside that have no corners or edges are better, I think that most sterilite starage boxes have angles and corners, otherwise it gives the rats a starting point to begin chewing on

Mark