Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,647

3 members and 2,644 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Another to breed or not question

Ok, So I only have one ball python. I have been feeding him f/t mice and he takes them, no prob. But I am frustrated with prices of f/t over the internet. Its not the companies fault that shipping is expensive, but I hate to blow 20 bucks or more just for shipping. I have no local pet stores here that sell frozen or live feeders. SO I thought maybe breeding would be the way to go. I have a ton of pets and so one more cage to clean isn't that big of a deal...(I HAVE STINKY FERRETS....that I love). I was thinking about 1:2 mice in a 10 gallon tank. I know at first I would still have to supplemnt my snakes food with my F/T. Right now I am relying on going to expo's to get my snake food. It kind of sucks. Ultimately it's my decision but I like to hear your thoughts. My fiance is not very supportive but my nagging has killed his spirit on the idea and if I do decide to do this, I have to wait until out apartment is ready for us to move into.
    Do you think its worth it? and the ratio is enough? I know how mice breed, I used to work at a pet store. Plus this way I know what they are eating.

Anyways, thanks for any input!

Thanks

Re: Another to breed or not question

awww, doesn't anyone care??? ok....

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Be patient. There's only a few members who have much experience breeding mice, so you have to wait for them to not only log on and see your post, but also to have time to respond, which doesn't always happen at the same time.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Thanks! I just thought because there was another breeding question, people would ignore mine. But my question is just slightly diff.

Thanks

I wouldn't breed if i only had one snake and it took frozen thawed

Thanks

Mice seem tougher to breed and do smell quite a bit stronger than rats. For one snake that happily eats f/t I'd say it might not be worth your while but if you are wanting to breed mice and don't mind humanely euthanizing and freezing them properly then by all means give it a shot.

If you have access to a Pet Supplies Plus, Petland or PetCo they almost always have a nice selection of frozen mice/rats. They may not be the cheapest place but with no shipping to pay and only one snake to feed it's a pretty reasonable weekly feed bill.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

My closest pet store that sells feeders of any kind is about 45 mintues away. With the price of gas, well, you know. I can buy so many for a while, then I have to go back. I think it would be fun but having worked at a pet store (the one close to me is run by a woman who only sells mice as feeders to her friend) I know how bad they smell. I think that mice readily breed easier than rats though, from what I have seen. I have ferrets, a cat, dogs, a parrot....so odor is always a challenge.