Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,471

1 members and 1,470 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Need Help With Dwarf Africian Frogs

If you have read my profile you know that I am an Humane Officer for my local PA county. I recently did a seizure of an apartment in with the tenant had been evicted an abandoned several animals. In the mist of species I rescued from this mess there was an aquarium. In the aquarium I found 2 Dwarf africian frogs. I brought them home with me and 3 weeks later I now have 2 dwarf africian frogs and 50 tadpoles. I have done all the research I can. I need someone who has done this before to offer a little advice in the feeding and care of these really little guys.

The water in the tank is getting really gross but I am afraid to change. I don't want to wash them down the sink. ANY advice is great.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks

Re: Need Help With Dwarf Africian Frogs

African clawed frogs are awesome I've raised some in the past but not from a tadpole. I would use a net to remove the tadpoles as the parents very well might snack on them. Generally tadpoles will feed on plant matter, you could even try a flake fish food to get them started.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

Just do water changes using a big cup or bowl and replace the water. And yes, finely ground fish food, live plants in the tank, brine shrimp, etc are good foods to feed them at this stage.

You can also buy a small 10g or less filter(walmart has a good one by top fin that I use for my slow-water-liking Bettas). Wrap a sponge or some pantyhose around the intake tube and you have a safe filter for the tank.

Are they African Dwarf Frogs or African Clawed frogs? I love ACF, so big and fat with so much personality. The little guys are incredibly funny too
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Are you sure they're dwarfs? If they're anything bigger than 2 inches, nose to butt, they must be african clawed frogs, not dwarfs. I have four of these frogs, and like Becky said, they are awesome. I have had them breed before; raised a ton of eggs and tadpoles; had a massive die-off and ended up with about 60 frogs. I had to clean the dirt out of the tank with a turkey baster and it was rough, let me tell you, especially when planarians started invading and growing on dead tadpoles and eggshells left in the water.
    At this point, I just let my frogs eat the eggs; they are in a tank with fish that will gladly do the same, before the eggs are even fertilized.
    How did you make out with the frogs/eggs?
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

They are definatly Dwarfs.

Most of the eggs hatched, 1 week later all the tadpoles died. I don't know what I did wrong I guess I just needed to research it more.

Then Sunday my female came down with some kind of fungus (i think) It looked like she was growing white hair.

Anyway I rushed to the store and got anti-fungle stuff and by the time I got home she was dead.

At least she died in a clean tank and not the way I found her 4 weeks ago.

The male is doing fine I treated the water and he seems to be ok for now.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advise. Hopefully I can use it in the future.

Thanks

Wow; I know that the clawed frog tads are tiny and difficult to care for.. I can't imagine how small the dwarg tads would be!
    At least you gave the female a better life for a short time, and saved the male.. they are neat little frogs.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.