Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,149

1 members and 3,148 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Newbie Here!

Thanks

Newbie Here!

Hello everyone, I actually was searching online about breeding and came across this site. I wanted to join and introduce myself. Just a little history as to how I cam across this site.
    I bought my son a ball last xmas and it is doing real well and eats every weekend. So this weekend I was in the local pet shop and they had 3 large adult ball's that were imported. I really liked the attitude and the light colors of one and decided to purchase him. Well I introduced him to the other ball I had and about 3 hours later I find them with their tails wrapped. I was shocked and did some online searching about breeding and mating and ended up here. I did not want to disturb them so I just let them do their biz and come back later to find them seperated. What is the success rate of balls mating? Do you think she will lay eggs soon? If so I think I may need help with this LOL....

Anyway I took some pics of them tonight. Enjoy and please post any feedback you guys may have. Thanks, Rich

Thanks

Re: Newbie Here!

First.....welcome to the site

Second. If you are not prepared for eggs or stressed out snakes, please seperate your two. Ball pythons are solitary creatures and do not socialize other than to breed. If you have a male and female in an enclosure together....they will breed....which can lead to complications if you are not prepared for breeding ball pythons. In ANY situation is not in snakes best interest to be housed more than 1 per enclosure. The stress induced by those situations can lead to many problems....not to mention that the wild caught snake health conditions are unknown and the possiblity of spreading parasites with two snakes housed together is great.

If you do in fact have a male and female, you do have a chance of the female becoming gravid from one breeding. The female's health could also be an issue if she is underweight for carrying eggs. Do you know their weights by chance?

Again, welcome to the site and I hope you learn all that you needed here. We have tons of information to share

Have a good one!
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Howdy!!! & Welcome...
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nice looking snakes! Welcome to the forum! One other important thing to remember is that you should practice quarantine and keep them in separate rooms for 60-90 days.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    First.....welcome to the site

Second. If you are not prepared for eggs or stressed out snakes, please seperate your two. Ball pythons are solitary creatures and do not socialize other than to breed. If you have a male and female in an enclosure together....they will breed....which can lead to complications if you are not prepared for breeding ball pythons. In ANY situation is not in snakes best interest to be housed more than 1 per enclosure. The stress induced by those situations can lead to many problems....not to mention that the wild caught snake health conditions are unknown and the possiblity of spreading parasites with two snakes housed together is great.

If you do in fact have a male and female, you do have a chance of the female becoming gravid from one breeding. The female's health could also be an issue if she is underweight for carrying eggs. Do you know their weights by chance?

Again, welcome to the site and I hope you learn all that you needed here. We have tons of information to share

Have a good one!
    Thanks for the feedback, I will get them seperated. I have to get another 30 gallon tank to do this.

In regards to the weight I know everyone seems to weigh them in grams as opposed to pounds. I will look around the house for a scale that measures in grams and get back to you.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well first off very nice looking BP you have there congratulations.

Everyone is right the first thing is to separate them and put them in quarantine for 3 months even more so that you mentioned they were imported.

Even after quarantine you need to keep them separated.

2 BP together can create problems such as going of feed, spreading of diseases, parasites, mites, you are also at risk for serious injuries and sometimes even death.

Ball pythons are solitary animals and the only time they should be put together is male being introduce to a female during breeding season, which even then is not a permanent housing situation as the male will only spend 48 to 72 hours at the time with the female and also before thinking about breeding you also need to make sure that both have the ideal weight for breeding.

In your case being lock together does not mean there will be eggs or babies as breeders pair male to females several time through the breeding season which occur between November & March
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

The one with the blushing (in your left hand) is a looker!! Congrats and welcome.