Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,067

4 members and 3,063 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Building & Plumbing a Rodent Rack

Hey mark was wondering if you made a new rack setup with the bigger tubs yet?

An if so can you post it like you did 1st one an what sizes an material would need i would like to build one with 4 tubs like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by twisted007 View Post
    Hey mark was wondering if you made a new rack setup with the bigger tubs yet?

An if so can you post it like you did 1st one an what sizes an material would need i would like to build one with 4 tubs like that.
    No, I just don't have the room in my rodent room to use the longer tubs. (it's REALLY tight in there. However I am replacing my 3 X 6 rat rack (3 tubs across by 6 tubs high) with three 1 X 7 racks which should take up the same room as the old rack but add 3 more tubs. Of course I probably won't finish them until spring, it's getting too cold to work out in the garage.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nofinga911 View Post
    What are the differences between using PVC or the rubber tubing?

How does the flow of water differ in each?

Thanks
    The PVC tubing never gets plugged up. It's just too wide for that. I've only ever had one tub get a clogged up sipper and I just replaced the sipper valve and it worked great again. Also, if you ever do have a mouse escape the escapee is going to get thirsty and will chew right through the rubber tubing. That doesn't happen with the harder and thicker PVC tubing.

Important note::: I had someone contact me recently to let me know that the 3/8" holes in the ends of the PVC caps don't work anymore, you need to drill a 1/4" hole now. It looks like Ag Select has changed the style of their screw in sippers so that they're smaller in diameter. So PLEASE make sure that the sippers screw in tightly to the end caps BEFORE you cement everything together.

Thanks

When did they change their design? I ordered screw in sippers from them maybe a month ago and I got the 3/8" style. does the 1/4" allow as much water to flow through?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    The PVC tubing never gets plugged up. It's just too wide for that. I've only ever had one tub get a clogged up sipper and I just replaced the sipper valve and it worked great again. Also, if you ever do have a mouse escape the escapee is going to get thirsty and will chew right through the rubber tubing. That doesn't happen with the harder and thicker PVC tubing.

Important note::: I had someone contact me recently to let me know that the 3/8" holes in the ends of the PVC caps don't work anymore, you need to drill a 1/4" hole now. It looks like Ag Select has changed the style of their screw in sippers so that they're smaller in diameter. So PLEASE make sure that the sippers screw in tightly to the end caps BEFORE you cement everything together.
    agselect is way too expensive

http://www.klubertanz.com/ is much cheaper

Thanks

so mark what you going to do with your old racks like the one in the 1st post ?

i would take some how many you got an do you have any now you not using thanks.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Camel413 View Post
    When did they change their design? I ordered screw in sippers from them maybe a month ago and I got the 3/8" style. does the 1/4" allow as much water to flow through?
    I'm really not sure how they work as opposed to the larger diameter size since I only have that one size. Just looking at the picture on agselects website, the 'Edstrom Original Drinking Valve, 1/8"mpt connection, all brass' does look like the screw end is smaller in diameter then the ones that I have

Look at this -
    http://www.agselect.com/ED/showdetl....D=174&CATID=12

Compared to -

I haven't bought any though so I don't know for sure, I was just told about it through a PM. I guess the main reason for my post was to warn people to double check the sizes before they drill all the holes and cement it all together. The old carpenters adage, 'measure twice, cut once' works for more then just lumber.

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    agselect is way too expensive

http://www.klubertanz.com/ is much cheaper
    That is a LOT cheaper, especially when you're buying in quantities. Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by twisted007 View Post
    so mark what you going to do with your old racks like the one in the 1st post ?

i would take some how many you got an do you have any now you not using thanks.
    I suppose I will eventually sell the old rat rack when I get the new rat rack finished. I'll have to disassemble it to get it out of my basement, though it shouldn't be hard to reassemble with a cordless drill. The current rat rack also doesn't have automatic watering like the mouse rack does (another reason I'm building a new one) rather it uses a bunch of recycled whiskey bottles with sipper tubes for water so it looks kind of ghetto Works pretty well though. I wouldn't want to sell it outside of the Minneapolis/St Paul area either because it would be more expensive then it's worth to ship. It would pretty much be a 'you buy it, you haul it' type of deal. But like I said, that probably won't be happening until spring time anyway. If you want more info on it please PM me because I don't want to clutter up this thread with sales talk.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Great thread, I just finished building a larger version of this using the equivalent of the CP3 Tubs 22" x 16 " x 6 ½". Learned the hard way, don't try and use 2x1's for a spacer, not quite thin enough, i've got to go back and glue in some plywood strips now , other than that turned out great. Now the real test is if it stands up to the 300 ASF's I just tossed in it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That looks great Kevin. How are those tubs working out for you? I use that size tub for maternity racks for my rats. They'd be too deep for mice to be able to drink but I don't have any of the ASF's so I don't know how they'd work for them, are they able to drink okay? I've also heard that the ASF's are bigger chewers then either mice or rats so I've always wondered if that kind of plastic tub would hold up well for them.

Thanks

Angry Re: Building & Plumbing a Rodent Rack

this is a great rack setup i was tring to make it but having a real hard time tring to find the bins. they don't make them all flat anymore they are all wavy an the rodents can get out this sucks. i hear you did a new style rack is it with same bins or new ones an we see pics an info. thanks

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast