Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,361

3 members and 1,358 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Your opinion on the Lockport/Kick bros. vs SPCA

If you know about this, what is your opinion on it/them? I tried digging on the BOI but really found not much; for each person that said they were not trustworthy, there was another person who was satisfied with their purchases from them
    I have issues with the SPCA sting and their opinion of "reptile neglect." According to them, the snakes were housed in inhumane boxes (much the same way that most of us house our BPs in tubs, in racks..) I had been to their store many times, and it was never anything I was offended by; reptiles were in decent cages. I saw one photo that was reportedly of a dying bullfrog that was said to be in their retail store; I was there countless times and never saw this.
    Mark recently bought our het orange ghost male from them; I didn't go with, but he went yesterday and said that the store was in fine condition; if somewhat understocked and not at all as full as it used to be. Again, I have issues with the SPCA and its knee-yerking responses; I know a few farms who have been completely ruined when, out of a herd of say 30 horses, they found one that was thin (either it was a recent auction rescue, or an older horse that doesn't keep weight on..) Your thoughts?
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Re: Your opinion on the Lockport/Kick bros. vs SPCA

My understanding was that the upstairs breeding facility and racks were kept in sub-par conditions. However, I wouldn't begin to assume which party was at fault. I'm not a big fan of the public jumping to conclusions over a biased article that comes out. I know the SPCA can be a little heavy handed and dramatic when they have an agenda, and I also know that some breeders keep facilities that are appalling.

So... I couldn't begin to form an opinion until I was able to see all the facts.

Thanks

Re: Your opinion on the Lockport/Kick bros. vs SPCA

It is tough to get the facts; the news media of course, focused on the negatives. There was a lizard skeleton that they kept there to show for educational reasons, and they mistook that for a dead animal..
    At any rate, it seems that the whole thing has ruined the store's reputation irreversably. Since I really saw nothing wrong previously, I saw no reason to boycott them and didn't mind that Mark bought from them.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.