Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 478

1 members and 477 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

Thread: help??

Thanks

help??

:eek: i think i purchased a pregnant mouse! i bought some xlg adult mice for my corn snake(4.5') and i noticed one was extraordinarily fat.first thought is she is pregnant and sometimes it looks as though she has bumps moving around her sides. i don't know if she is just extremely fat? or pregnant but my gut says she is prgnant.she even acts pregnant, i guess.......she is nesting and sleeps alot and is always drinking water.ok my questions are....how long do the babies stay with the mother?when should i separate them? as pinkies,fuzzies?do i need certain room temps? they are at room temp of about 70 degrees. i don't know how long she has been pregnant? but she seems to be getting fatter, and i am not sure if the store i buy from keeps the sexes separate.oh and how many do mice usually birth? thanks alot for any info

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: help??

look in the sticky about rodent breeding that should help alot.

Thanks

YEP.....SHE WAS PREGNANT! she just had i think about 8 babies today.i didn't look too close yet. i just let nature take it's course and she popped them out.my only question is when do i remove them from the mother???? i read 3.5 to 5 weeks for rats. is this the same for mice???thanks

Thanks

I'm not a mouse breeder but from what I've read it's about the same time line as rats so they should be weaned anytime from 3.5 weeks to 5 weeks but no later as they can become sexually active as early as 5 to 6 weeks of age. Well before weaning you should see them start trying mom's water bottle and her food dish though if they are anything like rat pups, they will still harrass the female for nursing (little leeches that they are LOL). I know my female rats don't mind me messing with them while they have a litter but I think mice are a bit more sensitive that way and may eat their litter if bugged too much.
    ~~Joanna~~