Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,963

0 members and 2,963 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Post New rescue long-nosed snake

This guy was being given away by my local petstore, since he hadn't been eating. I wasn't going to take him, at first, but my friend begged and pleaded and now I have a charity case on my hands! You don't see these snakes a lot, but they're pretty!
    http://ndis.nrel.colostate.edu/herpa...gnosesnake.jpg

This isn't a picture of mine, but he looks almost exactly like this, except *way* skinnier. You can see the poor guy's backbone!

I got him set up (at my friend's house; since she wanted him, he's *her* snake), let him settle in for a day, then tried to feed him a pinky with no real expectation he'd eat it. He didn't. Then tried him on an anole, since these guys tend to prefer lizards. He *loved* it! Now I just have to start trying to convert him from $7 lizards to $1 dollar fuzzies

Thanks

Re: New rescue long-nosed snake

Sounds like this iguana I have... I'd rather try to find someone else who wants to take care of him, but my boyfriend wants me to keep it? So there it lives, in my living room?
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

Yeah, don't ya hate when they do that? At least I seem to have successfully foisted this one off on my friend, with me on in an advising capacity only!

Thanks

Get an anole, snap off the tail, get the fuzzy wet and stick the tail on it, rub the lizard on the fuzzy and try that,

Next time just rub the anole on the fuzzy. Do that a few times and by they you should have the switch made.

Scenting often works well. I have gotten corns and bulls to eat beef by scenting with mice! Learned that trick in the book, The keeper and the Kept.

That book is a classic after over half a centry it is still sound advice and wisdom. Longnose are real cool snakes you will feel great when he is back in shape
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

Thanks

Yeah, that's the plan! I went ahead and saved the tail of this anole, anticipating that he'd eat it, so we'll try scenting a fuzzy for him in a few days and get him back in shape as soon as possible. This guy is *thin*- he's about 2 feet long, I think, and I'd be surprised if he weighed more than 20-30 grams- *with* the anole in his stomach.

(Is it just me, or are there a lot of Texas folks around here? )