Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,191

2 members and 3,189 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Arrow Here we go again... another one in need (kind of long)

I think from now on I'm just going to rescue all the rest of the snakes & animals I get. They say rescued animals make the best pets and I am a firm believer behind that!

Well last night right around midnight I get a call from an unknown # on my cell. For whatever reason I answerd it. Normally I don't answer unknown #'s.Well thinking it may be a friend who had a little bit to much to drink needing a ride home or something like that. I go out of my way for friends who are in need like that. I'd rather have them wake me up at 2am in a drunken state asking for a ride then to get behind the wheel :eek: and attempt to make it home for their safty and for whoever else may be out on the road at that time's safty!

Nope I was wrong. It was a guy who had a friend that knew a friend who knew me and knew that I had snakes and other animals. Well needless to say my # got to him. He told me that he has an adult leo gecko who needs a new home a.s.a.p because him and his wife are on the outs and yadda yadda yadda he's don't really have steady place to live and needs to find a good home for his buddy.

Soooo this afternoon I will be taking a drive and meeting up with this guy who has this leo. I have no idea if he is coming with anything or what kind of condition he/she is in, etc. I hope he is in some what good heath since this guy seems to really care/love "his little buddy". So I'm crossing my fingers that this guy/girl is in good condition.

Well I'm glad today there is/was a reptile show going on because I dumped my plans for this morning to drive up there. Got some 's, some 's and mealworms (we need a mealworm icon!!), a new hide, a heat mat, cal&vit dust, water dish and some sand for this new comer. I also called a buddy who is a old ex herp vet to stay on "stand by" for a call from me in case this guy needs to see someone.

Now if all goes well I won't have to back out on my dinner plans (date) I have with a guy I've liked for some time now.... Worse comes to worse I may have to but hey... my animals (my babies) come first, friends come second and what can I say... guys come last!

AND YES I POST AN UPDATE AND PICTURES OF HE/SHE HERE LATER ON THIS AFTERNOON/EVENING IF ALL GOES WELL... *crosses fingers*
    Last edited by lillyorchid; 11-04-2006 at 12:55 PM. Reason: forgot to add something...
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Re: Here we go again... another one in need (kind of long)

Good luck! I hope he's in good condition.

P.S. I used sand for a while with my leopard gecko... and I HATED it. It starts smelling really bad after three weeks or so (at least the sand I got did), and is very annoying to clean. It gets everywhere. LOL I'm never using sand again.
    flickr
    Reptiles: 0.1 Colombian BCI

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Sand can also dry their toes out during sheds and make it stick and some leo's have lost toes that way ive heard. I prefer something dark like cyprus because it really makes their colors shine.

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

i've been using sand with my leos for a few years now. i don't like the way they always look so dusty... don't really get to enjoy their colours so i'm going to change to cyprus myself.

but they've never had a single problem with shedding.

i use playsand from the hardware store
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

I like the mulch way better then the sand. I just went out and got some Cyprus.

Now do I have to bake the mulch to get rid of any "bugs"?
    If so, how long and what temp?
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

200 degrees for 20 minutes is what i do drift wood at. i don't know if it's the same for mulch though. sorry
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

I FOUND IT!

Heat the Oven to 250 Degrees, place the soil / mulch in a shallow container and bake approx. 20-30 minutes to kill bug eggs, weed seeds, and fungi. (This
    process also kills healthy bacteria as well!)
    ---=ALLISON=---

Thanks

YIPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE you did it you did it oh ya you did it
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

I feel kind of stupid to be honest. I should have remembered people telling me how to "debug" soil and mulch and such since I did work in a garden center for a year. Oh well. Google has once again come though.

Now mulch is in the oven and I'm off to go meet this guy with the leo.
    ---=ALLISON=---

Thanks

don't forget to turn off the oven... or you will have cooked kitchen when you return! :eek:
    in light, Aleesha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast