Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,488

0 members and 3,488 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Banned
    Thanks

How to, Photo studio...

This is a thread that a couple members though would be a good idea for me to throw together lol. Haha this is the best I could do for now. This is how to make a photo studio on a budget. I use this method because its cheap, simple, and you can replace the background easily if it gets ruined instead of dropping loads of cash for a new one.

First off you need a stand. You can use a chair, a table, whatever you choose. You can buy some inexpensive ones at a few stores like Lowes or Home Depot. Second, you need to choose your background. The easiest and most inexpensive thing you can think of makes the best background when your on a budget. Go to Rite-aids or any other pharmacy, general store etc. and pick up a poster board. Choose whichever color you like but white looks best. Buy the paper kind of posterboard, and not the cardboard kind. One side will be very smooth; almost glossy, while another will be almost like computer paper. All it costs is $1.

Set it up Glossy side up. Doing this reflects the light and the flash from the camera, and studio lights etc you have set up giving you a nice clean background. Take a couple thumb tacks or something and pin it up level and evenly so you do not get some underexposed area's or unwanted shading in the corner(s) of the picture.

Next off you will need light(s). You can go to the hardware store and pick up a lamp dome or two for around $5-7 each. Set both of these up with 75 watt bulbs and set them to the distance you desire. Make sure to have them both at an even angle with eachother so your photo's don't appear "off" towards one side being more exposed than the other. Now after that is all set up you can begin shooting! Take some practice shots to figure out what kind of exposure you need or desire. The flash does help if you have one for your camera.

Try different angles and positions when taking pictures. To get the best pictures you want, you need to be comfortable, or in a comfortable position.

A camera I recommend most for beginners is the Nikon D50. Its very comfortable to use, and overall a great camera! You can buy one for around $550 with the kit lens. Here is a picture taken with the Nikon D50, a Sigma standard zoom lens, and a Sigma speedlight.

Have fun and I hope this helped lol. I will try to re-write this if I can so it will make more sense lol.

Thanks

Re: How to, Photo studio...

Great write-up!

Much appreciated by those of us with dubious skills and/or equipment!

Does your camera have an AWB (Auto White Balance) feature? Seems like a lot of them do anymore. If so do you leave it on or turn it off?

Banned
    Thanks

My cameras do but I keep them off. I see no real point in them. You can be more creative without them.

Thanks

Very well done. Now if only the camera portion were a little more inexpensive.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

AWESOME!

Thank you for this report! I'll be using it!
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily
    I knoow.. I want one so much! LOL

My dad has a D70, which is basically the next step up (like $1000 or something), but he rarely lets me use it. I'm stuck with a Nikon Coolpix 3200, which only takes good pics outside when it's bright.
    flickr
    Reptiles: 0.1 Colombian BCI

Thanks

Awesome.. thanks for doing this! I'm going to get me a posterboard when I have the chance.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily
    That's what I was thinking when I wanted my Canon... but payment plans make everything more within reach.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com