Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,095

1 members and 1,094 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Neptune progress!!

I am so overwhelmed right now...

As many of you know, our male blue beauty Neptune has been a challenge from day one. Extremely poorly socialized, stressed from sharing a cage, hardly ever handled... He came to us as a big ol angry stressball. He only ate every so often, and he'd strike at the glass and always make a go at me when I tried to handle him. I was actually a bit intimidated at first to tell the truth, as he's quite the big boy to boot! 8 feet 3lbs of hissy antisocial nippy snake! Nothing quite like when Neptune inflates and hisses like a fire hose!

Lately, he's been eating like a pro only refusing while in shed which I can predict now so no wasted ratties.

Yesterday, I changed his water while he was awake instead of while he was asleep or hiding his head like I usually do. Instead of striking at me or getting hissy, he just watched. Good boy!

Today I'm on poop patrol and Neptune surprisingly left a huge mess outside the humid hide, just in front of it. He normally only poops once a month when he sheds, and he just went last week. Plus it's usually IN the Humid hide which I just take out to clean. So I gather all the supplies to put him away (gloves, holding bin) and clean out the cage when I realize the mess is only on one half of the cage, and not the side he's on. It takes a couple of sheets to cover the floor of their cages, so it's not all the same sheet of kraft paper. Neptune is wide awake and watching me with his head sticking out resting on the edge of his water bowl.

So instead of wrangling him out of the cage, I go to change it out just like if it was Ma-tsu's cage. I take out stuff, take out the paper, spray stuff, clean, all with the door open and no gloves with him in it on the clean side.

Neptune just watched me! No S-formation, no hissing and cursing me out, no striking, just watching calmly less than a foot from my bare hand!! I cleaned out his cage easily, no rushing, with not even a hiss! I'm seriously crying I'm so happy! Look at what a long way he's come! Wow, just wow...

Who's my special boy? He never strikes at the glass anymore, never refuses a meal... He's not at gloveless or willing handling yet, but I really think he's getting there... To think of how miserable and aggressive he was when we brought him home, and look at him now... cruising, eating, mellowing out... way to go, Neptune...! And thank you to Jo, Judy, and all the supportive folks on this forum for the encouragement and advice with our special Dragon!

~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

Re: Neptune progress!!

Great to hear! Nothing worse then a moody snake

Thanks

i am so happy for you. neptune will be in your hands chilling out in no time. great job keep up the good work. i had an adult blood i had worked with for 8 months before handling was even an option, but by then my daughter could go in and get her out with no problems.
    4.3 Normal Ball Pythons - Raphael, Spot, Oscar, Strykr, Honey (aka A.O.L.), Jasmine, Precious
    1.0 Grazi Line Pastel Ball Python - Chance
    1.0 possible het carmel albino - Cpt. (One Eyed) Jack (genitcally missing right eye, very ify het status)
    0.12 Normal ball pythons in transaction

Thanks

Only a snake could reduce somebody to happy tears while cleaning up a big steaming pile of poo I think, lol!

Thanks guys! That's awesome about mellowing out that blood! I think I'd be farther along with the handling Neptune if we had more space where other animals didn't have such easy access. After we move I'll be able to handle him a lot more without risk of feline intrusion. Right now, I'm just happy to have him realize I'm not a threat! He's such a scardy snake, it really warms my heart!
    ~Sheree~

In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just reading that makes me all misty-eyed! I remember his VERY impressive display when he got loaded up into the snake-bag at the Phoenix show! But I just knew you'd soon become quite adept at handling such a challenging dragon...and I was certain that with your constant, loving attention, he'd eventually learn that not all life is out to get him. He's one BLESSED snakey!!!
    -- Judy

Thanks

Aww, Sheree, that is just terrific! I am really thrilled for you, and believe me, I completely understand getting teary over it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

See what some TLC will do .Congrats to you both
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Thanks you guys! I love my dragon... I couldn't be more proud of him.
    ~Sheree~

In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

Glad to hear he's behaving. Now to get my pissy carpet to behave!!! Struck me 4 times in one handling session.
    By the way, Kelly named him "Carpet"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Mongoose
    Glad to hear he's behaving. Now to get my pissy carpet to behave!!! Struck me 4 times in one handling session.
    By the way, Kelly named him "Carpet"
    Nancy,try not to clean "carpets" clock for biting you .I guess you could rent a rug doctor machine to make him fresh .I know lame,i could not resist
    Joe Haggard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast