Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 771

1 members and 770 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: My baby crestie

Thanks

My baby crestie

OK, Christie before you read this post...do not freak because everything is ok now. On Tuesday night I came home from work and went to check on my bp Zeke and my new crestie. Zeke was fine.....I could not see my crestie! I tore the tank apart and then went ballistic on the family...screaming and yelling about someone being in my room and messing with my animals! The whole thing turned into a nasty scene. The family was at war! I looked all over my room and could not find the little one and kept going to the tank trying to figure out how it got out. I swore someone let it out. I cried almost the whole night. Went to work the next day and still fretted and cried and fought with my hubby over the phone.
    I came home Wednesday night and was not talking to my family. I was sure that I would never find the little one and was dreading telling Christie. I am not an irresponsible pet owner but sure felt like one. I could not bring myself to write Christie....instead I went to another one of my forums and posted a thread there and went to bed.
    I go into my bedroom and set a glass of water on my side table and who is on top of the table next to the bag of candy......my gecko! Scooped his little but up and back into the tank it went. Went straight to the food and water. As I was looking at it I realized how the booger got out. There are larger vent areas that I thought were to small for it to get out but realized as I was looking at it that its head COULD fit through. Did a temporary fix with paper and packing tape and am heading out this morning for a better top for the tank. Not to mention there is a 5 lb bible sitting on top!
    I never thought I would have to worry about an escape with my gecko...thought it would be Zeke!
    Anyways, wanted to share my nightmare 2 days with all of you. Have any of you ever had your gecko escape?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: My baby crestie

i'm glad you found your baby! cresties can be sneaky little boogers that's for sure, and if there is a way out they will find it and worm through it!

i had 3 juvies escape one time after i moved them up to a largee enclosure in a rack thing that my husband built. the next day i went to check on everyone and noticed their cage was awful empty looking... turns out there was a very slight gap in the back of the enclosure where it met the top of the rack and they all found it and got out! honestly i don't know how they squeezed through it but they did. luckily all were found within 24 hours but it sure freaked me out. you gotta watch the little boogers!
    - Emily

Thanks

Glad you found the little adventurer. I haven't had Sprocket manage to get away yet but he's trying hard and is a very, VERY sneaky little fart! His enclosure is plastic, it has tiny vent holes and a lovely tight lid. Should be fine right.

Well little Mr. Sneaky Gecko figured out that if he hangs upside down, stuck to the flippin lid of the enclosure that when I (being the dumb human I am) take said lid off and set it aside, he can make a mad hop/dash for freedom! Little goofball caught me twice doing this and I had to grab him quick and pop his butt back in the enclosure. Now I check very carefully that he's not gecko glued to the lid before I take it off.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

When I brought my first geckos home, my daughter went into the cage and left it slightly open. I was lucky enough to find them in a plant next to their cage. I also freaked while cleaning the baby gecko cages awhile later. I had 2 in the cage and was moving them to a temporary one, while I cleaned. I grabbed the first and went back for the second, and it was GONE!! I looked all over the foliage and around the cage - nothing. I grabbed my hubby to help and he found the booger hiding under the paper towel. I hadn't even lost the booger, it was still in the cage.

It happens. I know you were very prepared for that little guy, and was quite impressed with your enthusiasm. Of course, I'm glad you found the little one though.

(sorry I didn't get back sooner, but I was out of town for a couple days)
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Thanks Christie My hubby sometimes think that I go a little over board when it comes to the care of the snake and gecko but I just want them to have the absloute best care! Anyways I am hoping that soon I will be able to tell the sex of the little one so that I can name it