Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,688

1 members and 2,687 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Handling question

I am about to be helping clean the cage of a pretty big (id say over 15 feet) burm. No one much wants to mess with it because it has a tendency to be pretty mean. The cage has been rather nasty for some time now. I found someone who has dealt with it before that is willing to help do it. It is in a wall mount display case sorta thing that is accessed from a sliding door in the room behind it. The floor of the case is between waist and chest high. The question i have is what is the best way to get the snake out, with out getting tagged. They say once the door comes open it usually gets crazy almost instantly. Would we be better of to try to put a bag over its head or something like that, or just try to find a good shot to grab it behind the head and transfer it that way?

Thanks

Re: Handling question

Hm.. that is tricky. Careful if you bag him you're going to piss him off, which may make him try to coil around you. Do you have access to a heavy duty python hook? If so you can try to guide him (keep a good watch on his head) into a holding container while you clean the cage.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

thats one of the problems... no hook. If we can get him to be calm i would say we should still have no problem guiding it into a container even with a broom handle or something, but i really dont expect calm to be in the picture here. From what i hear once that door opens it gets pretty ugly pretty quickly most the time. That's why its been so long since the cage has been cleaned.

Thanks

If he's really as bad as you say he is you can find a good sized food item to keep him busy till you have him moved for the size of snake I would say a small pig or lamb should keep his mouth full for 20-30 min.
    1,1 BP Kaa, Akia

Corns 1,0 Carmel Checkers 1,0 Snow Blitz 0,1 Amel Stripe Dawn 0,1 Aztec Maya 0,1 Anery Pearl 0,1 Fire Candy 0,1 Okeetee Alice
    Others
    1,0 Veiled Chamelion 1,3 Leopard Geckos

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I've never personally dealt with it, so im just goin by what I've heard. I hope the stories were exagerated, but we shall soon see. That would probably work, but I thought handling during/right after a feeding could cause a regurg, which would be very stressful for the snake.

Thanks

There's always a chance of a regurge. I've seen the method used a couple of times during short medical exams on large snakes. Just keep a good eye on him once he has it past the jaw your fair game again.
    1,1 BP Kaa, Akia

Corns 1,0 Carmel Checkers 1,0 Snow Blitz 0,1 Amel Stripe Dawn 0,1 Aztec Maya 0,1 Anery Pearl 0,1 Fire Candy 0,1 Okeetee Alice
    Others
    1,0 Veiled Chamelion 1,3 Leopard Geckos

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Good incentive to work fast. Id say getting it out of the temp container after its through eating would really be fun. Besides being all pissed off from the move, feeding mode on top of that I dont even wanna think about that happening.

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

I would keep food out of the equation. They have a tendency to have an even stronger feeding response after eating. Best thing to do is get him into a big trash can and he should calm down quick. Clean the cage and put the trash can up to the cage. He should slither right out into the cage and go curl up. Good luck
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Piranhaking... Where are you at in TN. I have a large hook you can borrow, if you live close enough. Heck I might even help you out too. I have a 12' burm myself, but it's a real sweetheart.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Cookeville, so a little to far to worry about. Thanks for the offer though. I guess ill try the trashcan idea and try to guide it in, and if it gets nasty go for the head and hope it doesnt get me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast