Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,621

1 members and 2,620 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

i need your thoughts and opinions

ok , let me give yall the set up first . one of the guys that works with me at the petshop also works at a local shipyard . he and his crew were cleaning up some old tin sheets at the ship yard when a large female warf rat ran out of the pile . my coworker found a newborn litter of warf rats in the pile and brought them into the petshop . we put them in with one of our nursing females and not only did they survive , but they have flurished . we now have 2 male and one female warf rats that are about two and a half months old . right now we dont know what spiecies of rats these are , but Don ( the ship yard worker ) says that he sees them as big as cats at the shipyard .

now , what i'm wanting to know is , what do yall think of putting these rats with some of our breeding stock and trying to get them to mate with them ? this is something we have been discussing at the petshop but we arent sure if it will work or not .

i'll get some pics on tuesday when i work at the petshop next and post them here so yall can see what they look like .

any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated .
    Mark

reborn herper
    0.4 ball pythons
    1.1 pastel ball pythons
    1.0 het orange hypo ball pythons
    0.1 bci
    0.0.4 paulsoni
    0.1 coastal rosy boa
    1.1 mexican rosy boas
    1.0.1 kenyen sand boas
    0.0.4 house geckos

Thanks

Re: i need your thoughts and opinions

I would think parasite central. I don't know why you'd want to work with them but if you were attached to the boogers, I'd definitely have a fecal taken to a vet to be checked for worms and such. In any case, I'd love to see pics. I have a litter of ratties right now myself,, but of the normal variety. They're cute little boogers.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

What's wrong with regular rats and mice?

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i think its the reports that they have been seen as large as cats. Hoping they may be a larger/faster growing line.... thats what i got out of it

Thanks

Just doing a quick search on the internet indicates that wharf rats may actually be the same species as domesticated rats, rattus norvegicus. I suppose its possible that domestication has caused them to be smaller, I don't know. Wikipedia says that common names are brown rat, wharf rat, Norwegian rat, and common rat. It will definately be interesting to learn what the results of your experiment are!

Steve

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i personally think it would be a cool experiment with a possibility for some cool observations. i probably wouldnt feed them off unless you're sure they dont have any parasites though.
    -marshall

Thanks

nothing wrong with normal rats , we were just hoping to maybe breed a larger line of rats with these . also with most lab rats having fairly poor immune systems from years and years of line and inbreeding we are hoping that maybe we can get a line of rats that are less seceptible(sp) to illness . they do grow very fast . when we got them they were less than 24 hours old . we know this because the mother hadnt had time to even clean the afterbirth off of them . they were put in with a nursing female with 2 week old babies and these critters outgrew the babies that were 2 weeks older than them in about 3 weeks .

we havent decided for sure yet if we will try to breed them or not . i was just mainly looking to see if anyone thinks this is feasable or not .
    Mark

reborn herper
    0.4 ball pythons
    1.1 pastel ball pythons
    1.0 het orange hypo ball pythons
    0.1 bci
    0.0.4 paulsoni
    0.1 coastal rosy boa
    1.1 mexican rosy boas
    1.0.1 kenyen sand boas
    0.0.4 house geckos

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

As long as they are paracite/disease free i dont see why it wouldnt work, but i may be missing something.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markface
    nothing wrong with normal rats , we were just hoping to maybe breed a larger line of rats with these . also with most lab rats having fairly poor immune systems from years and years of line and inbreeding we are hoping that maybe we can get a line of rats that are less seceptible(sp) to illness . they do grow very fast . when we got them they were less than 24 hours old . we know this because the mother hadnt had time to even clean the afterbirth off of them . they were put in with a nursing female with 2 week old babies and these critters outgrew the babies that were 2 weeks older than them in about 3 weeks .

we havent decided for sure yet if we will try to breed them or not . i was just mainly looking to see if anyone thinks this is feasable or not .
    Well, the surrogate mom has already been exposed to these, as well as the babies she was already nursing. Why not breed them to their "adopted family"? I'm no expert, but I think if they were that young when you got them, and they're still doing ok, they're probably healthy.

How are their dispositions? Any noticable behavior differences?

Steve

Thanks

I would suggest you segregate all the wild rats and any domestic rat that's been exposed to them immediately. Have fecals done on the whole lot (some parasites can infect babies prior to birth). Once you know they are either disease free or you have treated them, then the next thing I'd personally be concerned about is temperment. Temperment in rats is shown to be heavily gentic. Domesticated rats are generally bred for it to some degree to make them easier to handle (I cull out any breeder that shows an aggressive temperment). I'd watch very carefully that you aren't introducing poor temperment into a stable rat population by introducing wild bloodlines. A rat bite, especially from a large rat, is nothing to sneeze at....they can easily bite you to the bone and slash at you faster than you can begin to react to it. Rat bites tend to fester quickly.
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast