Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,321

1 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Introducing....Mrs. Mathis!! plus question...

OK... So I found the "one" to eventually pair up with Mathis...
    Sadie, (named by god-daughter) she's a Mosiac... and a lil' QT!

I've been letting them play together so they can get to know one another before they share the "Man-CHIN" get it? ugh.. I know.... Any-HOO!!!....
    So this is my question for other Chin owners or ones with knowledge... Her ears seem to be scaley? NOTE.... She had just come in on a very crouded shipment and she was VERY dirty and stressed when I got her... I was wondering if this could be mites? I'm sure they can host them, but not sure what to treat her with if it doesn't seem to improve soon... Mathis has not had anything transferd that is visable.. (they're caged next to eachother)... I have not noticed her ears getting worse over the last few days, if anything they look better... Any advice will be much apriciated as always!

Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

Re: Introducing....Mrs. Mathis!! plus question...

The stuff you see on the right ear has not come off of her fur yet, just to clear things up... That's not the scaley stuff I was refering to! Thanks !

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

HOW CUTE!!! She's so pretty!!

I don't know anything about chins, so I can't help with the scaley ears...but it might be worth your while to check into whether or not Provent-a-mite is safe to use in their enclosure.
    -- Judy

Thanks

I would quarantine her and get her to the vet for a fecal and a skin scraping just in case. If she does have internal parasites or mites(or both), you will have to treat both of the chinchillas as they have been in contact with each other. Always best to quarantine any new addition, regardless of species, for 1-3 months depending on symptoms(if there are any) and species of the animal.

Stick her in a different room for at least a month to make sure she doesn't come down with any respiratory issues. And make an appointment with your vet
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

AAgghh... Great idea! Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    I would quarantine her and get her to the vet for a fecal and a skin scraping just in case. If she does have internal parasites or mites(or both), you will have to treat both of the chinchillas as they have been in contact with each other. Always best to quarantine any new addition, regardless of species, for 1-3 months depending on symptoms(if there are any) and species of the animal.

Stick her in a different room for at least a month to make sure she doesn't come down with any respiratory issues. And make an appointment with your vet
    Thanks Becky! Isn't it too late to seperate them now? She's been right next to him for 4-5 days now, plus play time... And they're growing attached to one another...I realise I'll haft to treat him as well if this is a mite problem. Other than her ears, everything elase about her looks great! POO-TOO! lil' brown tick-tacks! If what I've read is correct, poo is on the top of the list to monitor in a Chin... I did question the owner about other animals she's recived from this breeder and she's never recived a sick animal. Nor has anyone returned one that has been ill. I know you work with a vet, have you seen a Chin with scaley ears? If so, what was the cause? THANKS! L

Thanks

If ANYTHING comes in with scaley ANYTHING, I first think mites and diet. If she is eating what she is supposed to be eating, then it's not a diet issue. I would think it is a sarcoptic or demodex mite issue. They usually manifest themselves on the head and ear ridges, causing scaling, itchiness, etc. It may take a few deep skin scraping to turn anything up, but once you do(or don't, I'd treat it anyway by what it looks like) you know what you are dealing with.

She could also have a fungal infection if she was being kept crowded and dirty for a long period of time. Especially since that is how she came in...

I would take both to a vet and either get them a paramite dip once per week for 2-3 weeks or a few ivermectin injections. Whatever the vet thinks is necessary. You don't want that spreading to any of your other furry critters.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    If ANYTHING comes in with scaley ANYTHING, I first think mites and diet. If she is eating what she is supposed to be eating, then it's not a diet issue. I would think it is a sarcoptic or demodex mite issue. They usually manifest themselves on the head and ear ridges, causing scaling, itchiness, etc. It may take a few deep skin scraping to turn anything up, but once you do(or don't, I'd treat it anyway by what it looks like) you know what you are dealing with.

She could also have a fungal infection if she was being kept crowded and dirty for a long period of time. Especially since that is how she came in...

I would take both to a vet and either get them a paramite dip once per week for 2-3 weeks or a few ivermectin injections. Whatever the vet thinks is necessary. You don't want that spreading to any of your other furry critters.
    Thanks! I forgot to mention that she was the only white one that came in on the shipment, and that the others had no scaling of the ears... I thought it might be due to a color mutation being sensative to like you said a possible diet issue??? Also because it seems to be getting better....At any rate, I think a vet visit is a great idea... Thanks again!