Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,843

0 members and 2,843 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: do ball pythons dig/burrow.

I think the need for evidence is on the shoulders of those saying they do burrow. After all, you can't argue with a picture or video of one burrowing into the ground but it doesn't prove anything to show a picture of a bp NOT burrowing into the ground lol. Honestly, I've never seen anything in any of my sources (which I researched carefully) about them burrowing but it does usually mention something about them living in rodent burrows.

Thanks

I already listed 3 sites that say they burrow, so the evidence is pretty concrete that they do burrow, what I'm waiting for is some truth that they DON'T burrow. Please someone show me this with a link or something so that I can be proven wrong...
    -Brian-

Monty- Ball Python
    Spike- Red Tailed Boa
    Quentin Tarantino-Pastel Boa

Than- Boas are better than Pythons
    Then- We went to the store, then we went home

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MontyNSpike
    I already listed 3 sites that say they burrow, so the evidence is pretty concrete that they do burrow, what I'm waiting for is some truth that they DON'T burrow. Please someone show me this with a link or something so that I can be proven wrong...
    I could also show you websites that say you should feed ball pythons crickets ... get a clue.

As for ball pythons burrowing ... There isn’t a biologist on the planet that would classify p. regius as a "burrowing" species ... In their native West Africa they are often found in abandoned tortise burrows (many tortises are known as burrowing species) and old rodent burrows (again, many rodents are known to "burrow").

As an animal that is not at the top of the food chain, their instinct forces them to constantly seek out the smallest, tightest hiding spot that they can find to prevent their natural predators from being able to get a claw, tooth, or beak on any part of their body. When placed in a cage with hides that are not secure enough for them, they are certainly capable of moving the bedding around to "hide themselves" and feel safe. I am sure that this is a natural behavior that they have developed over time to make the slightly adequate "abandoned burrows" that they use in the wild more suitable for their needs. Also, I would imagine that a ball python in a cage with a nice thick layer of loose bedding might enjoy the sensation of crawling through it. These actions do not make them a burrowing species.

FWIW, when a gaboon viper hides itself under a layer of leaf litter on a forest floor in order to ambush a meal, it is not a "burrower" either, but someone that wanted to be a pain in the ace or just didn’t know a whole lot about gaboon vipers could easily twist a description of the event around and argue that they are “burrowing”.

I'll put my 25+ years of experience with ball pythons and the dozens of conversations that I've had with people that have actually been to West Africa and worked with/observed them in their natural habitat up against any one of those care sheets .... any day.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Please someone show me this with a link or something so that I can be proven wrong...
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    I could also show you websites that say you should feed ball pythons crickets ... get a clue.

As for ball pythons burrowing ... There isn’t a biologist on the planet that would classify p. regius as a "burrowing" species ... In their native West Africa they are often found in abandoned tortise burrows (many tortises are known as burrowing species) and old rodent burrows (again, many rodents are known to "burrow").

As an animal that is not at the top of the food chain, their instinct forces them to constantly seek out the smallest, tightest hiding spot that they can find to prevent their natural predators from being able to get a claw, tooth, or beak on any part of their body. When placed in a cage with hides that are not secure enough for them, they are certainly capable of moving the bedding around to "hide themselves" and feel safe. I am sure that this is a natural behavior that they have developed over time to make the slightly adequate "abandoned burrows" that they use in the wild more suitable for their needs. Also, I would imagine that a ball python in a cage with a nice thick layer of loose bedding might enjoy the sensation of crawling through it. These actions do not make them a burrowing species.

FWIW, when a gaboon viper hides itself under a layer of leaf litter on a forest floor in order to ambush a meal, it is not a "burrower" either, but someone that wanted to be a pain in the ace or just didn’t know a whole lot about gaboon vipers could easily twist a description of the event around and argue that they are “burrowing”.

I'll put my 25+ years of experience with ball pythons and the dozens of conversations that I've had with people that have actually been to West Africa and worked with/observed them in their natural habitat up against any one of those care sheets .... any day.

-adam
    But Adam......you didn't provide a link!

Thanks

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smulkin
    I bow down before your Googling skillzzz!

-- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smulkin
    Now THAT was funny!

I couldn't help myself above - feeling a little punchy with long hours at work during inventory! LOL

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

let me lighten up the mood with a real burrowing animal.

ok, so i just needed to show off my ackie, lol, but this is a real burrow and burrowing animal. a ball python puching dirt with its nose is in no way tunneling or burrowing.
    -marshall

Thanks

Whoa is that a Savannah?
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

nope, red ridge-tail monitor, varanus acanthurus acanthurus.
    -marshall

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast