Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,219

1 members and 3,218 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Multimammate Mouse, Common African Rat, Soft-furred or African Soft-furred Rat

i paid $2.00 and $1.50 each for mine (depeneds on the size they were when i picked them up)
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks

Re: Multimammate Mouse, Common African Rat, Soft-furred or African Soft-furred Rat

We had to drive 3 hours downstate to the reptile show to meet a guy, to find out he lives only an hour away from us.

We paid $5 bucks each, but talking with him and a few others, they paid around $50 for a trio. Some people paid more.

As more people have them, the price will eventually come down, but looking at it this way, we are all used to paying feeder prices on domestic rats. Pet stores still often charge $6-10 per rat, which is often where people get their first breeders from since pet stores are so plentiful.

People didnt bat an eye when they were charge $50 for a trio, or more, because of the lack of ASF breeders, and the prices that pet stores set in the first place.

Now that we've drug the price down, how many people that sell their ASF's actually know how much it really costs to raise each rat?

Are they "required" to sell the rat for as much as it cost to raise? Or are they allowed to sell the rat for whatever they want and make some money on top of the costs to produce it??

Why is it people can't wrap their heads around the simple concept that even though 5 guys down in florida buy their rats for 4 or 5 from Mike, should mean that Kenny up in Utah has to match that price when he is the only ASF breeder in Utah?

SUPPLY AND Demand. Don't forget that.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Why is it people can't wrap their heads around the simple concept that even though 5 guys down in florida buy their rats for 4 or 5 from Mike, should mean that Kenny up in Utah has to match that price when he is the only ASF breeder in Utah?
    If you are going to name drop like that get it right! I am selling them for $3.50 each live... and selling large frozen for $3 each. Get it right!!!!

***disclaimer... I know this is not the for sale section. I am not the one that started this.

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

it all depends on how many breeders are in your area?
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki View Post
    Personally, I think they're nothing more than a gimmick .... if you can't get ball pythons to eat and thrive on mice and/or rats, you're doing it wrong. As a breeder, I want my hatchlings to be eating the most widely available source of prey possible ... mice and rats.

Just my $.02

-adam
    So what? They still stink, all rodents do.

-adam
    Domestic mice and rats are also found in West Africa and are often consumed as prey by p. regius ... you're already feeding them natural food. Don't be a sucker and fall for the hype.

-adam
    Is it just me or is some one kinda jaded about ASF's?
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

Thanks

I can get them for about 20 bucks for a trio or less here.... be picky about bloodline. Some seem mean, some don't

4.9 Balls, 6.7 Corns, 1.1 Black Milk Snakes, 0.0.1 Sand boa, 0.1 BCI, 2.0 Dogs, 1.0 Child, 0.0.? Fish

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yes, I paid $30 for each of two 1.3 groups of non biters. I later added a solid colored 1.3 for $16 from another source and they aren't as docile.

It will be interesting to see how ASF's fit in long term. I think by now they have moved beyond fad but it's yet to be seen if they will be truly standard.

I do know of one commercial rodent breeder who was planning to get into them big time. I don't know how the cost of production compares. It seems to me that even though they grow slower they eat less and mess less so maybe if you have the grow out cages they compare ok on a commercial basis. Of course the market is also a very important consideration and again I don't know what the commercial market is for ASF's. You see mice being sold very cheap so if ASF’s can be produced nearly as cheap maybe you could sell a ton at $1 each.

They do fit a niche for me as a small ball python breeder. Bigger breeders probably already have their own outbuilding with Norway rats and maybe mice. But I needed something I can raise in moderate numbers in my house. No, they aren't perfectly without smell but they are a lot better than Norway rats and especially mice. Also their small max size might be important to ball breeders who don't happen to have big balls that can eat retired breeder Norway rats. Also I have a couple of balls that rarely eat Norway rats and I normally buy mice for and both seem to love ASF's. So they work for me.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoax View Post
    Is it just me or is some one kinda jaded about ASF's?
    LOL... well just keep in mind, you are quoting someone from over 2 years ago!!!! At that point the great majority looked at them as a fad.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
    LOL... well just keep in mind, you are quoting someone from over 2 years ago!!!! At that point the great majority looked at them as a fad.
    I understand. I just think some of the comments are funny. Especially Adams he has talked about people being jaded on other forums and he has talked about how he used to be the same way and now he is more "political" if you can talk about Wysocki that way...
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRemington View Post
    They do fit a niche for me as a small ball python breeder. Bigger breeders probably already have their own outbuilding with Norway rats and maybe mice. But I needed something I can raise in moderate numbers in my house. No, they aren't perfectly without smell but they are a lot better than Norway rats and especially mice. Also their small max size might be important to ball breeders who don't happen to have big balls that can eat retired breeder Norway rats. Also I have a couple of balls that rarely eat Norway rats and I normally buy mice for and both seem to love ASF's. So they work for me.
    ASF's are definitely the one for you! I've only had ASF's for a month (from the awesomest ASF breeder in the USA - Mike Cavanaugh) and I can tell you for a FACT that they can definitely be raised inside the house especially if you sprinkle a little Sweet PDZ (see post on general Feeder section) underneath the substrate. I have my rats in the office. Right now, I have my trio on the living room coffee table because they just had babies and I'm just sooo excited I have to look at them all day long! And, I've only cleaned their tubs twice since I've had them. I'm cleaning again on Saturday and my guests yesterday didn't even notice I have rats on the coffee table. The advantage of them being inside the house is it is temperature and pest controlled. I would go crazy if they would get fleas and such!

The ones I got from Mike don't bite. The trio I got are pets and my kids are constantly petting them.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast