Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

3 members and 3,355 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Multimammate Mouse, Common African Rat, Soft-furred or African Soft-furred Rat

I wrestled with the idea of bringing them in or not ... here are the conclusions I came to.

While they are supposed to have great litters most people with them report about a 14 average ... Same as most of my rats.

No real difference in pregnancy length between those and a normal rat.

They look similiar to a hamster ... this may turn people off to them thinking they are a "pet" rather than a feeder.

And the biggest one ... The only snake they are really going to be good for is wild caught ball pythons. With them still being an exotic with high prices most people arent going to want to feed them to their animals ...

If I was breeding snakes to sell I would not feed them these rats ... you are running a risk of the reptiles (particularly ball pythons) imprinting on them. As a potential client I would not consider an animal from a breeder feeding soft-furred rats as they are only available in limited quantities and high cost.

Bryan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Multimammate Mouse, Common African Rat, Soft-furred or African Soft-furred Rat

Personally, I think they're nothing more than a gimmick .... if you can't get ball pythons to eat and thrive on mice and/or rats, you're doing it wrong. As a breeder, I want my hatchlings to be eating the most widely available source of prey possible ... mice and rats.

Just my $.02

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam_Wysocki For This Useful Post:

jkobylka (12-10-2008)

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    Personally, I think they're nothing more than a gimmick .... if you can't get ball pythons to eat and thrive on mice and/or rats, you're doing it wrong. As a breeder, I want my hatchlings to be eating the most widely available source of prey possible ... mice and rats.

Just my $.02

-adam
    I agree 100% my Bp's are thriving on rat's and I wouldn't change a thing. These rodent's are probably for someone only getting WC female's.
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Thanks

Great points and I feel the same way. I'm not having feeding problems myself...I guess I'm mostly taken in by the fact that they don't urinate so much, and the size being inbetween mice and regular rats. Any thoughts on if these will become a popular food item or not? I realize a transition would be hard and probably most established breeders wouldn't buy into this early just due to the fact that they are not common. What if they did become more common would keepers be inclined to change to this food source assuming prices would also drop and were comparible to rats (or mice).

I'm trying to invision different scenarios of how this would work...if it can. It may not be feasible to get in the action early due to the crazy prices being asked now. So its largely dependant on the population of these new rodents and a price drop. If and when that is accomplished, I think the next wall to climb would be to convince reptile keepers to jump into it. With this I see many skeptics and a few who might try it. I would think this might cause a mess though with some breeders raising on this new rodent and some not, even assuming these af. rodents are widely available.

A possible scenario for smaller breeders/keepers that may work is if they would be used just for feeding animals that are kept for breeding/pets. Reptile offspring could still be raised on mice. This however poses the question of why raise so many different rodents? Good question! Is the less smell worth it?
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TekWarren
    I guess I'm mostly taken in by the fact that they don't urinate so much
    So what? They still stink, all rodents do.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

They smell about as bad as smaller rats, so the less odor is not a real factor. I hoped to sell the offspring of mine as breeders to others. I think personally I'd stick with raising rats. Why put the same food into one that only gets a 1/3 the size of a rat?
    They are darned cute, but it still doesn't bother me to feed the little buggers off to a snake.
    Wolfy

Thanks

So even though they urinate so little you would say they smell just as bad as mice or rats? I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything one way or another just trying to learn the facts. The main odor in my rodent tubs is urine, I clean the tubs weekly but in about 2 days you can hardly tell smell wise...especially in the maturing male tubs. That's why males are the first to go! Thus far I guess its worth it to get some and do some testing unless some fall into my lap.

Another quest for a clean odor -less down the tubes for now. My wife's gerbils never smelled, maybe I'll have to train the mice to use the potty

Thanks for the replies!

www.WarrenReptiles.com

Thanks

I may be immune to the smell but ... The only times mine get smelly is when one of my drinking valves has leaked. I can instantly tell when I walk into the shop. I can also tell if an animal has died in the last 4 hrs ...

If you want something between mice and rats with decent litters try dwarf hamsters. They are gaining popularity as a feeder. With dwarfs you can keep them in colonies.

My personal opinion is if the rodents smell bad after only a few days you need to check what you are feeding them.

Bryan

Thanks

Thanks for the info, generally its the all male tub that starts to smell when they pee. My mouse breeding tubs with just one male and females are not bad and much less messy.

www.WarrenReptiles.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bdadawg
    I may be immune to the smell but ... The only times mine get smelly is when one of my drinking valves has leaked. I can instantly tell when I walk into the shop. I can also tell if an animal has died in the last 4 hrs ...

If you want something between mice and rats with decent litters try dwarf hamsters. They are gaining popularity as a feeder. With dwarfs you can keep them in colonies.

My personal opinion is if the rodents smell bad after only a few days you need to check what you are feeding them.

Bryan
    Or you are over crowding them. I found that out the hard way with my growouts.
    bryan

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast