Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,985

1 members and 2,984 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Multimammate Mouse, Common African Rat, Soft-furred or African Soft-furred Rat

So I saw some of these "things" at the small show a couple weeks ago and the tidbits I get here and there interest me more and more. As I read about this rodent I keep thinking more and more that there is no reason NOT to try and run with some.

Apparently little or no urine smell and litters of 20-25. I don't think they get as big as the rats we are used to, maybe small/medium size comparison? For those keeping snakes that don't require adult size rats (BP keepers?) these might bring some nice conviences. I "have" to raise my rodents in a back room of the house because frankly they wouldn't survive the high's of summer or lows of winter here in MI and my garage is not setup with insulation. I keep the rodents in the same room as our computers where we unfortunately can spend alot of time. Generally I am used to the "smells" but outsiders definately know its not "normal". Anyway I'm thinking rodents that breed with large litters...bigger than mice...urinate very little!!!

I also come to realize we (I) are talking about ball pythons here and most of us generally know how these snakes can be about food items. I personally have had no real issue between mice and rats or vise versa with my long term BP's. I then wonder about if I sell reptiles I've bred and raised started on these african rats how will they fare to the end keeper? Will these African rodents become popular enough to be considered common food item (or pets?!)

These rodents are fairly new yet or at least seem to be in the reptile scheme of things with the price tag I saw for a treo at the last show. I am also seeing them pop up elsewhere for ~$100/trio. If they propagate as fast as I am reading they do, I'm not sure "getting in early" will have any affect other than that I will have paid a crap load more now rather than later when I would assume they would be much cheaper. Still something I have been turning over and over in my head. I might even look for them at the show this coming Sunday and get some more info.

What are your thoughts on this seemingly near perfect solution for rodent breeders specific to ball pythons or otherwise?
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Re: Multimammate Mouse, Common African Rat, Soft-furred or African Soft-furred Rat

My first litter was 12. The currant litter is 4. They bite, a LOT. Very mean. They smell less than mice, about like comparable size rats.
    Ball pythons are supposed to not be able to resist them. I offered fuzzy babies to my hatchlings and of 4 hatchlings, 2 ate. I offered reg rat pinkies to them the following week, and 3 ate.
    They are neat, and I am hoping to make my money back selling mine for breeders, then I will most likely get rid of them.
    Just my .02

Wolfy

Thanks

Re: Multimammate Mouse, Common African Rat, Soft-furred or African Soft-furred Rat

What is the current going price. A few months ago I was offered 1.3 for $100 and I could not see paying $100 for 4 rodents. $25, maybe $30 for 4.. maybe.

Rick
    Richard Sisco
    SiscoReptiles.com

Thanks

Best price I have HEARD was a trio for $75. The guy might have been trying to get me to come down from $100 for a trio though.
    I'd be happy with $75 or even slightly less myself.
    They are cute little buggers. Give them a year and the price should come down. They just don't reproduce really well. I have 7, 3.4 and I have 2 litters so far. I am going to seperate them out further and see if that helps. They did NOT eat any of the babies though. 12 pinkies were born, and I fed off two fuzzies, and 10 are now just past weaning age. They don't grow as fast as normal rats do.
    Wolfy

Thanks

I would be interested in buying some. Is there a way to ship them? Also would you be willing to sell a pair? or maybe a 1.2?

R.I.P. Rena Ross 1-31-07 11:00 A.M. CST

Thanks

Aren't these those unusual rats/mice that they sell at the shows for $10 a pair? or are those something that they call pigmy mice or something like that. They are grey and white and they don't look like typical rats/mice.
    Co-owner of a reptile store

Thanks

the only way to ship mammals is to ship them just like a dog, and they have to have vet health certs, it's not worth it trust me. You'd be paying $200+ just for shipping. Sorry.
    Come on down to Tampa, lol. You might need to start driving now.. lol.
    Wolfy

Thanks

If they grow slower, breed less and are more likely to bite, it would seem they will make less than ideal feeders. Perhaps with some handling there will be a good market for them in the pet trade, but I want faster breeding rats that are less likely to bite the snakes that I need to feed live to.

I do appreciate your honesty, based on your experiences.

Rick
    Richard Sisco
    SiscoReptiles.com

Thanks

Yeah the biting is the main reason I wouldn't want to feed them live to snakes...

I wonder if they were raised by a normal rat (Im sure that works?) if they would have different tendencies.
    bryan

Thanks

I'm not conserned with biting myself. I treat my rodents with care as I would any other animal...but I don't atttempt to hold them or bother them unless I'm cleaning or checking litters. As far as biting snakes go, I don't have any that "require" live food at the moment. I pre-kill what I need the the night I feed.

I am still reading that they have larger litters, although it may take some time for them to build up the the naturally high numbers and possibly less bitey. Gestation and heat cycles don't seem to be much different than that of normal rats. I'm still thinking about trying some if I can find them cheaper. I might just raise them along with mice so I still have both but also have a bit larger rodents to try and transition to.

I still think the reason for insane price is just due to the fact that aren't that common yet, or at least I've only just started seeing them.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast