Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,749

1 members and 2,748 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Moggie's eyes are bigger than her stomach

Yes, yes. I swear I saw a picture of a couple monitors tearing apart a big rat to eat it. I figured, well.. ok. One of my breeder rats had died and I gave it over to her, figuring she would get to tear it apart, enjoying eating and tearing it up.
    Nooo, Moggie decides she is going to swallow it whole, DESPITE it being as large as her BODY. I took it by the tail, and she spat it back out, she had the head and shoulders down. She was grumpy about me taking her rat too. I cut the forequarters off and gave that to her, which she gulped down.
    Don't they tear apart prey? Or is it only appropiate size prey?
    I was going to stand right there to see if she tore at it, or tried swallowing it. Good thing. I'm not sure what she would have done.
    Wolfy

Thanks

Re: Moggie's eyes are bigger than her stomach

What type of Monitor? Mine is the same way, she swallows everything..after thrashing it about a few times. (Nile) Why don't they chew?
    1.0 Spider (Ash)
    0.1 Leo (Yennifer)
    1.0 Dobbie (Sigi)
    1.0 Kiddo (Sim)
    1.2 Brown Tabbys (Bonnie,Clyde, Ally)

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you DO are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi

~Terra~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

you shouldnt have made her regurgitate(= unnecessary stress). she could have ate it whole. she knows what she can and cannot handle.

no, monitors dont thrash their prey if it's big enough for them to swallow whole.
    -marshall

Thanks

Both Of Mine Bite And Slam There Food On The Ground For About 15 Seconds Befor Eating It. Maby Different Species Act Different.

Thanks

You should NOT have made it regurge it... That is going to stress her out BADLY...

If it was to big for her she wouldnt have attempted to eat it.. they are smart enough to know what is too big and what isnt..
    1.0.0 Brother (Kilo, Pain in the neck)
    0.1.0 Sister in law (Blondie, GGRRR but gotta <3 her)
    2.0.0 Ball Python (Kilo my baby boy, Gonzo My new male)
    1.2.0 Breeding Rats (No pups yet)
    0.0.1 Gecko (unamed at this moment)
    0.0.1 Chinese Water Dragon (Mister)

You can lead a horse to water, But you can't make it drink.....

Thanks

But what if the monitor was in feed mode gulped and didn't realize the rat was as big as it was. Then when he tried to spat it out it got stuck? I have seen the results of a 6ft boa try and swallow a large rat, and got the nose stuck in his glottis he then couldn't spat it out, ended up sufficating/chocking on it. I was called to take a look. If an animal has never had experience with really large prey, particularly because the owner never offered anything quite that big, he would expect whatever is offered is consumable, true or not? That is my thinking is all, any opinions??

wildlifewarrior
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

She wasn't choking. She also wasn't stressed, I didn't make her "regurge" it. I pulled just the head and shoulders out, more or less out of her mouth. Moggie is totally fine, and ate the piece of rat a few minutes later, and also ate 40 crickets later when I offered them.
    She is a black throat monitor for whoever asked.
    There is NO way she could have swallowed a rat the size of her entire body. She probaly would have coughed it back up when she got to a stage that it was uncomfortable, but I didn't want to wait for it to get stuck to act.
    Wolfy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr~python
    she could have ate it whole. she knows what she can and cannot handle.
    -marshall

Thanks

People please listen to what she is saying. The rat was the size of her monitors body. THE BODY! Thats like me trying to eat something the size of my body. The stomach of the monitor just couldn't fit the size of its own body in it (like the rat) and with some snakes, they just gulp down the food without realizing the food is just way too big. If my snake had trouble eating his large rats per feeding I would ofcourse pull the food out even if he got stressed. That would be the risk to take so my animal wouldnt suffocate to death! She did the right thing to take the food out, especailly when she thought the monitor was going to tear the rat up not swallow whole or she probably would have offered a better size meal suitable for the size of monitor. And ofcourse I would wait a bit to see if my snake is ok, and if he showed signs of hunger I'd then feed him.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

actually, depending on what she means by body, the monitor could have. if the rat was as long as the monitors length stt(snout to tail) then there is no way. if it was "body" as in the monitors torso then its entirely possible. a while back my ackie at a fuzzy that was as large as, or close to the size of his torso. he was looking pretty stuffed after that too.
    -marshall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast