Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,081

1 members and 3,080 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Pictures of a Red House Snake

Well I was told you all love pictues and to keep them comming so here are two pictures of one of our young Tanzanian Female Red House Snakes. This is the most common species Lamprophis Fuliginosus which is highly variable in color and pattern. Red of course is the most popular color for obvious reasons.

The two pictures here are really the same picture cropped differently because this is our one biter in the bunch and she is still adjusting to captivity. While she has not bit for over a week she still is a bit nervous so I put her up as soon as I got a decent shot to work with. She is currently about 16 inches and about the diameter of a pencil. She is going to be one beautiful adult and produce some wonderful babies one day.

This "high red" is not from selective breeding, she is actually a wild caught animal strait from Tanzania. Right now we are adding animals only from known blood lines, either via captive bred from fellow breeders who keep lines pure or from known localities and species from ethically captured animals.

In the first shot you get a really nice view of her beautiful color and pattern. House Snakes look their best under good light. Look at this girl under pale light and you see here is mildly red brown but looks what happens with good lighting. What a beautiful little girl!

I reduced the next image less and cropped it tighter around her head so you could get a better look at the head pattern, eye striping and the eyes themselves.

I will post some shots of one of our Zululand "Normals" soon. You won't believe just how cool a plain old Cape House Snake really is in good lighting.
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Pictures of a Red House Snake

Wow...really pretty! About how big will she be when she matures?
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    Wow...really pretty! About how big will she be when she matures?
    Female house snakes are in general about the size of an average to small female cornsnake so 4 feet is about max. Some get a bit bigger but 4.5 is a monster house snake, specificly a L. Fuliginosus. They also stay thin so diameter may be just a bit larger then a mans thumb.

Males top at 3-3.5 feet and are just a little thinner. So unlike cornsnake the female is the larger of the two.

L. Capensis aka Cape House Snakes which include the Zululand and Trasvaal phases and are often confused with L. Fuliginosus get bigger with many females hitting 5 feet when fed properly. In Capensis the male is still smaller but the difference is no where near as pronounced. The biggest male Capensis is getting close to the average female Fuliginosus.

I have always found it interesting how from one species to the next the bigger sex changes.

Corns Males are bigger

Asian Rats (Taiwans, Blues, Etc) Males are bigger

In most pythons the Females are bigger

House Snakes females are bigger

Garters the females are bigger

Interesting really how the size ratio changes by species,
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjspirko
    In the first shot you get a really nice view of her beautiful color and pattern. House Snakes look their best under good light. Look at this girl under pale light and you see here is mildly red brown but looks what happens with good lighting. What a beautiful little girl!

i'm confused. was there supposed to be another pic with better lighting?
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Oh I see what you were talking about I should have used the word IF in that post. I will get one of her in indoor light to show the difference and post it.
    Jack Spirko

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

i look forward to seeing it
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Great info, Jack! Thanks! I love learning about new snakes!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

They look cool thanks for sharing
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Here you go same snake with the picture taken with normal inside lighting

See the difference? This is why so many folks are unhappy with their pictures. Snake need good lighting if you want good pictures. I have a really nice flash and some good lights (small UV Spotlights) to do inside work but my best pictures are easy to do.

Key is outside on a sunny day and keep the snake out of the shadows. Natural light will do amazing things for your pictures just be careful and don't let an escape happen. Some of my snakes are not ready to go outside yet.

To me it almost not fare to this pretty girl for me to post her less flattering picture. Women hate that! I will inform her though that it is in the interest of helping others take better shots. Guess I can't blame her if she bites me now huh,
    Jack Spirko