Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,046

0 members and 2,046 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Green tree python?

Does anyone know anything about green tree pythons? Are they good pets? How big do they get? How hard is it to find a reputable breeder? My husband is very interested, and I really don't know anything about them. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Re: Green tree python?

you probably could have asked about ETB's and GTP's in the same post.

Do research, as you would for any new animal you plan to keep. Maybe even start with a less expensive more hardy arboreal before dropping $300+ on an animal you don't know much about.

Your going to get alot people telling you they are display animals only which has some truth to it. I've read and heard from many experienced arboreal keepers its all dependant on the animal and how you interact with it (as with any animal). I just picked myself up a gorgeous amazon tree boa for much less than what a emerald tree boa or green tree python would go for. I'm not experienced in arboreal and although I don't forsee things going wrong with the amazon it was less of an investment to lose should things take a bad turn.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I tried to do research on the web most of the day yesterday and didn't find anything. That is why I asked here, I thought maybe someone would know.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow Green tree pythons. Where to start. First they tend to be a display snake. They tend to be fairly bitey. They have outstanding color and all but if you are looking for a hands on snake I would not recemend this one. Some infact most never tame. Their are breeders all over look in the back of reptiles Mag. there are loads of breeders listed. Good luck and if you need any listing PM me and I'll put you in touch with some good reputable people.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Both of those, IMO are NOT beginners snakes. I consider myself an experienced keeper, and wouldn't own one. Not discouraging you in any way, but please, if you can't find any info online, get a hold of a breeder. I think chondroweb is a great place to start. These guys have specialized care, and are not as hardy as our beloved ball pythons. Another thing to keep in mind, these guys come equipped with fangs, and a nasty temperament to boot...not your typical "holding and petting" snake. There are always exceptions to the rules, but please keep these thoughts in mind. Good luck
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

I don't think they're as difficult as many people believe. They require minimal handling when they are under a year because their spines are very fragile and can get kinks easily. They are relatively docile during the day, but their feeding mode gets turned on as soon as it gets dark. Mine usually calms down if I have to go into her cage at night when I mist her with water.

Speaking of which, the only thing that makes them a little difficult is their humidity requirements. They need fresh air and high humidity which usually means that you have to mist them at least once, but preferably twice a day. They are also prone to prolapses and constipation, but as long as you don't overfeed them and give them periodic showers you should be okay.

They are fascinating snakes and I would definitely recommend them to someone that doesn't mind putting a little more effort into the care of a snake. If you are interested, I would recommend a book called "The Complete Chondro" by Greg Maxwell.

-Lawrence

Thanks

There is endless information on these snakes on the net...I can't beleive you "couldn't find anything" heck even if I put ETB or ATB in a search I get pages of hits...related to what I am looking for.

Regardless of what level people want to claim themselves to be it boils down learning as much as you can and making preperations to house and care for it properly.

www.WarrenReptiles.com

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TekWarren
    There is endless information on these snakes on the net...I can't beleive you "couldn't find anything" heck even if I put ETB or ATB in a search I get pages of hits...related to what I am looking for.

Regardless of what level people want to claim themselves to be it boils down learning as much as you can and making preperations to house and care for it properly.
    Well I'm sorry, but I couldn't. I'm a computer idiot and it is a major miracle that I can even turn the silly thing on at all. I have never had luck looking for anythng on this machine. For some reason I just don't ask the right questions on search engines.
    I'm not doing this for myself, I'm doing this for my husband and quite frankly, I'm feeling pretty beat up on because I'm trying to do something nice for him. I'm sorry my computer skills aren't up to what you would want them to be.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thank you everyone else for the assistance without criticism.

Thanks

I think you need settle down a bit and stop assuming what other people are thinking.

Granted my comments assumed you at least have the ability to do research (internet or otherwise) I never once put you down or critisized you. Actually I see so many people being lazy (not just here) and not putting forth effort to find some of their own answers that its rediculous.

That said we are all here to help. Doing some general searches using google.com for things like "green tree python" or "emerald tree boa" will bring up many hits. Or something more specific like "green tree python care".

My personal recommendation again (if it means anything) and the route I am taking is to start out with a less expensive arboreal (tree) snake. Amazon Tree Boas can be just as beautifull and come in MANY colors (click here to see mine) Even though I have kept snakes for years arboreals are new to me and even though the loss would be just as great for any animal, a $50 amazon tree boa would be less of a financial hurt than a $300+ green tree python or emerald tree boa. Of course the choice the yours.

Some websites:

Amazon Tree Boa Info:
    http://www.corallus.com/species.html
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=25

Emerald Tree Boa Info:
    http://www.thedarkgrove.com/webpages...caresheet.html

Green Tree Python Info:
    http://www.pythons.com/chondro.html

Awesome Tree Boa breeder:
    Http://www.ghireptiles.com

Some of these sites are random and some are not. You can use key words such as species names for further searching in google or other search engines.

Good Luck.

www.WarrenReptiles.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast