Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,192

0 members and 2,192 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

some growth updates on my ackie...

i just figured out some averages for my ackies growth. its amazing how fast he grows. on average he grows 2.4 inches and gains 16.5 grams a month. he's went from 7 inches, 8 grams at may 23 to 16-17 inches, 74 grams today. ill have pictures of him tomorrow if i take any good ones, but here's one i took of him on the first day.

he snout to vent length is longer then this container now.
    -marshall

Thanks

Re: some growth updates on my ackie...

How old? Hey btw do you know much about Nile Monitors? just curious. I think mine hates me most of the time.
    1.0 Spider (Ash)
    0.1 Leo (Yennifer)
    1.0 Dobbie (Sigi)
    1.0 Kiddo (Sim)
    1.2 Brown Tabbys (Bonnie,Clyde, Ally)

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you DO are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi

~Terra~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luluizzi
    How old? Hey btw do you know much about Nile Monitors? just curious. I think mine hates me most of the time.
    They get big...real big, possibly up to 7 feet. I sure hope you didn't buy your monitor on impulse. Most monitors aren't "tame" by any means, more tolerant of people or deemed "handleable". So by saying yours hates you, its more than likely fear turned into aggression....he'll probably never love you like you want him to (that's anthropomorphizing) but with a lot of work he may tolerate being handled occasionally, or a pat on the back..however with the Nile's track record that probably won't be the case. If you want something you can hold, or have out for long periods I'd recommend a dog. Remember, do a lot of research before you buy any pet.

BTW Marshall, glad to hear your ackie is doing wonderfully! Can't wait to see recent pictures.

-Jason
    Jason

Thanks

He's looking great, Marshall and growing like the proverbial weed

My sav tolerates me pretty well, really, for a monitor. How old is your Nile? I know they're pretty well known for being aggressive but I have heard of some people who have got to the stage of mutual toleration with them. Hopefully you don't try and grab him out or anything as that will reinforce the aggressive response in him.

Thanks

She's about 5-6 months, actually she hated me more so yesterday being that i had to clean her cage. Usually she's a bit better. But gotta do the dirty work.

She is tolerable but i do handle her almost daily. She dosen't like it but it's only when feeding. I choose not to feed her in her cage but in a seperate one for a few different reasons.

I know she'll never be tame enough, she wasn't an impulse but a rescue of a sort. The guy that bought her was going to breed her and had a pair. I knew they were very aggressive and would be very challenging, have had other lizzards b4 though this is diffrent.

Just hoping to get tips on her breed being there isn't much info out there .
    1.0 Spider (Ash)
    0.1 Leo (Yennifer)
    1.0 Dobbie (Sigi)
    1.0 Kiddo (Sim)
    1.2 Brown Tabbys (Bonnie,Clyde, Ally)

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you DO are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi

~Terra~

Thanks

Looking Great Marshal. Cant Wait To See New Pics.

Matt Fisher

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

sorry, i couldnt get around to taking pics of him while he was still above ground today because i had school all day. when i walked in my room his head was poking out of the boards so i fed him one last roach (i put 6-7 in a container in his cage this morning) and he went into his burrow to sleep.
    -marshall