Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,866

3 members and 2,863 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question What do you guys thik about housing a burm and a blood together?

I ask because I recently visited a major international zoo. Their reptile husbandry seemed excellent in all respects but they have housed a big burm and a blood in the same enclosure. This seemed rather odd to me - I assumed all big snakes were very much keep in solitary.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Monty)
    Various fish
    0.1 Wife

Thanks

Re: What do you guys thik about housing a burm and a blood together?

All snakes should be kept in different enclosures. The zoo you went to must either have space issues or a reptile keeper who's not right in the head. Like our zoo, which has two Emerald Tree Boas in the same cage as poison dart frogs. What the heck?
    flickr
    Reptiles: 0.1 Colombian BCI

Thanks

Maybe the Emeralds and the frogs are from the same area in the wild? I don't know if this is true, just a guess to why they would justify doing it.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

Maybe some zoos are like pet stores with reptiles.

Call them and ask them why, because I'm sure they don't feed in seperate containers, as a big burm would be WAY too big to get up and move to another container JUST to feed.
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bpkid
    I'm sure they don't feed in seperate containers, as a big burm would be WAY too big to get up and move to another container JUST to feed.
    I'd rather go through the trouble of moving my burm than trying to feed two snakes in one enclosure.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

They have a lot of carefully set up multi species exhibits although none involving moe than one species of snake (actually for that matter snakes were always either alone in conspecific pairs) the burm/blood stood out as rather odd. This is abig zoo with an international reputation and a stronge concervation remit so I figured they ust know wosmehtign I didn't I may quietly email them and ask for comment.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Monty)
    Various fish
    0.1 Wife

Thanks

Try and remember guys, not all zoos are on the up and up. Closing the Long Island Reptile Museum was one of the best things that could have happend for those animals...
    He was in buisness a long time. Doesn't mean he was in the right.
    Species should be kept seperate. Unless you have a proper viv setup. Frogs, toads, anoles.
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks

Burm and blood.....I have seen a large green anaconda with a rainbow boa ...corn snakes in with rattlesnakes......all in a large zoo. Generally, snakes do not mix with other snakes 99.9% of the time... and offer all sorts of problems so I never quite understood why they would want to do something like that. However....

Quote Originally Posted by JasonGranger
    Like our zoo, which has two Emerald Tree Boas in the same cage as poison dart frogs. What the heck?
    Actually, ETBs and dart/reed frogs are great for multispecies systems (however, only one ETB per enclosure is ideal). Since ETBs are aboreal and dart frogs are terrestrial, both will not consider each other as a threat or food source, they originate from similar environments, and are great display animals....that makes them ideal to go together in an multispecies system.

There is no problem with creating a multi-species enclosure as long as you are experianced enough to know the proper animals and environment to setup in the system (it all goes downhill when someone thinks they are experienced enough...but really are not). A successful multispecies vivaria is on of the hardest things to accomplish in herp husbandry and care, but when created properly by someone that is very experianced in ALL aspects of reptile care.....they can be a masterpiece. There are so many things that must be factored into what is designed...everything has to be fully planned before hand....it is not just throwing two or three animals in together....although thats what some people believe.

I have plans for some very nice multispecies vivaria in the future. However, the level of skill required for the enclosure that I plan on attempting will require way more knowledge than just the reptile know-how that I already have. This is just one of those herp husbandry and care things that you have to ease yourself into. With the first few that I have planned, I am trying to build up a knowledge base so I can go for the full effect a 5-6 years from now.....live plants....bioactive substrate...both land and water components...both nocturnal and diurnal animals.....5-6 different species

LOL....As my first attempt, I tried using live plants in my cham enclosure...but they died in the first two weeks. I will get more plants....then try again until I have vivaria plant life completely figured out.....

...then next I will get into bioactive substrates with the monitors I plan on picking up....after that, I will be about halfway to learning how to setup and maintain the environment the way that I want....definately not just throwing two animals together in an enclosure.

LOL...I have it all mapped out....years of projects just to gain experience to setup one enclosure If anyone else is interested in taking on such a task too....let me know....I love having people to share info and talk to about this stuff
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

I saw a couple of pics of some one housing a 11ft red-tail and burm together
    Collection: 1.2pastel 1.1albino 1.1het albino 1.0 het pied 0.1 pied 1.0 mojave 1.0 african lesser 1.1 cinny 1.0sable 0.1spider 0.1enchi pastel 1.0 pinstripe 1.0bumble bee 2.17 normal 0.1 green tree python 2.0 boas

Thanks

I saw a pic once with a HUGE Anaconda with a small Ball python.. but the man I knew was only joking when he put those two together. They were one big mass of snakes... well 98% was the Anaconda. only the small head of the ball python could be seen through the coils of the big baby. The Bp wasnt at all small when you help it though. She was HUGE for a Bp I guess. I'd guess she was close to 6ft and almost 15 yrs of age. And the guy only put the two together when there was a HUGE arguement over keeping different snake species together.. he didnt help the dispute at all... but I wouldnt even attempt to house snakes of different species or even of the same species together... too many problems and other complications happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast