Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,012

1 members and 3,011 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: feeding

Thanks

feeding

a friend ov mine got a baby corn about 3 weeks ago and is haing troubel getting him to feed is this commen? and have any of you got any advice that i can give him. would be greatfull for any help thanks

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: feeding

What is he trying to feed them? Some snakes wont take f/t mice very well at first ive heard. That may be part of the problem. We have some baby rat snakes here that havent eaten yet (two weeks old) one of the professors that deals with the snakes said its no problem for them to go well over a month before eating the first time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skunkbunny
    a friend ov mine got a baby corn about 3 weeks ago and is haing troubel getting him to feed is this commen? and have any of you got any advice that i can give him. would be greatfull for any help thanks
    Ok i need some info before i can attempt to help here.First describe the setup and include the temps,size of enclosure ,what he is trying to feed it,and the general age or size of the corn(baby can be viewed differantly to some).If possible have your freind become a member here and i can work with him/her directly .Sometimes baby corns never eat no matter what you do.In my 2yrs of breeding them i have only had 2 out of 30+ never eat.I will watch for your response here and will try and help your freind to the best of my ability.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piranhaking
    What is he trying to feed them? Some snakes wont take f/t mice very well at first ive heard. That may be part of the problem. We have some baby rat snakes here that havent eaten yet (two weeks old) one of the professors that deals with the snakes said its no problem for them to go well over a month before eating the first time.
    Its true that some colubrids take there time eating for the first time.Allthough i think your professor needs to view them not eating for at least a month now a little differantly.You might want to ask him if he has ever attempted placing the head of a pinky in a baby rat snakes mouth to give it a clue of what it needs to do.I have only lost 2 corns in my 2yrs breeding corns and i tried everything to get them to eat on there own.I even cut up the pinkies in little pieces and they never kicked in .
    Joe Haggard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I dont know that he's dealt a great deal with babies, but he had dealt with snakes for atleast 15 years, so he knows his stuff pretty good it seems. Ours are only two weeks old now (three of them ate today and yesterday ). I am the one taking care of the snakes in question, he hasnt had any dealings with them other than me asking a few questions. I did try today sticking the heads in their mouth, but as soon as i let go, they dropped them right out (I'm feeding live by the way, we raise our own).

Thanks

I dont know that he's dealt a great deal with babies, but he had dealt with snakes for atleast 15 years, so he knows his stuff pretty good it seems. Ours are only two weeks old now (three of them ate today and yesterday ). I am the one taking care of the snakes in question, he hasnt had any dealings with them other than me asking a few questions. I did try today sticking the heads in their mouth, but as soon as i let go, they dropped them right out (I'm feeding live by the way, we raise our own).
    OK,do me a favor freeze a couple pinky mice and then thaw them out in a day or two.Try the placing the head of the pinky in the snakes mouth.Now this takes some patience so dont get discuraged.Sometimes the movement of the rodent scares the baby snake,thats why i always try a frozen thawed rodent.Keep me posted
    Joe Haggard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

All but three have now ate, with no help. It seems they eat better in the dark, because i had to leave yesterday in a hury, and when i came back this morning all 4 that had pinkeys in their bowl had eaten. Anyway, 9 down 3 to go. If they dont eat today I'll try that. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks

Talking Re: feeding

All but three have now ate, with no help. It seems they eat better in the dark, because i had to leave yesterday in a hury, and when i came back this morning all 4 that had pinkeys in their bowl had eaten. Anyway, 9 down 3 to go. If they dont eat today I'll try that. Thanks for the advice.
    No problem .Sending a message to little uneaters to EAT lol.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

thanks for the help well he still cant get his snake to feed so im gettin a bit worried my self the snake had eaten wen it was with a previovs owner but it was force fed. hes got it in a nice size viv with 2 hides on seperate sides ov the tank a deacent water bowl i think he said his temp was at just under 80 and hes trying to feed it mice pinkys if any1 has some more addvice i would be verry greatfull thanks once again