Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,411

0 members and 1,411 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Savs- how active?

Just curious, for those of you who have savs... how active are they? What do they spend thier time doing? Or not doing?
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Savs- how active?

Jeanne, i dont own a sav so i cant tell you how long "mine" does, but i dont think thats what really matters.

what matters is what it does while its active and if the animal is happy and healthy. for example, if a sav is trying to climb up the sides of its cage while its active then you have a unhappy sav. he is trying to get out of his cage. if you have a sav that is basking for extended periods of time you have a sav that has too low basking temperatures.

that said, ive noticed my ackie isnt active all day. he's active for a few hours out of the day to do what he needs to do. while he's active he basks, eats, basks, and occasionally explores the cage. investigating nooks and crannys, sometimes test digging, and generally just making his rounds. then he goes back asleep till the next day.

i hope that helped.
    -marshall

Thanks

I find them to be a "laid back" varanid species. But every once in a while we get that one that is as active as a nile. Always running and trying to climb (not all that gracefully I might add).
    So I would reference them as a slower more laid back animal. But when it comes to feeding time or when they are over heated they will get up and be active. They can run faster then you'd think.
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks

Wink Re: Savs- how active?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Reptiles
    I find them to be a "laid back" varanid species. But every once in a while we get that one that is as active as a nile. Always running and trying to climb (not all that gracefully I might add).
    So I would reference them as a slower more laid back animal. But when it comes to feeding time or when they are over heated they will get up and be active. They can run faster then you'd think.
    Rusty
    Definitely correct in my book. Mine is chilling out next to me right now. LAID BACK is the right answer. LOL, good luck with your decision.

Thanks

Ditto what the others said. Mine at a year has his active and non active times (they seem to be more non-active than active). He tends to lie in a bit when the light first goes on then will come out and bask for a bit. Look around then go back in his cave. He always knows what time I get home in the afternoon and is ready waiting for his food (I swear he has a clock in there somewhere!) He makes himself very obviously visible when it's feeding time. After feeding he'll go off and rest some more.

And yes, they do move very fast, when I let him out he can race across the room if he wants to - but normally he'll just find a nice place to rest

Thanks

Thanks to all who responded.

The reason I was asking..I was trying to gauge if Thing is doing what is normal.

Things light comes on at 7 AM, he lays under his warm hide, with half his body sticking out most of the time, from time to time, he cruises his cage (never wall dances or acts like he is trying to get out).. he cruises and hangs out for a short bit here and there on the cool side, then goes directly back to his warm hide and procedes to lay with half his body sticking out, I assume so he can watch his environment... he actually rarely basks and when he does it is not ever for long. I have doubled checked and re-checked his temps again over and over again, just to be sure all is where it should be, all is well..... was just curious what would be normal behavior or not as far as what I have observed.....
    *Jeanne*

Thanks

LMAO! Is Thing really his name?

Mine sits half out his hot hide mostly in the evening - it's when all us humans are around and he can watch us I think.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Razaiel
    LMAO! Is Thing really his name?
    Yep.... Thing is his name...
    *Jeanne*

Thanks

Hah! Cute Must admit quite a few times my critters get called "Wotsit"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Jeanne, your monitor is perfectly normal.
    he lays under his warm hide, with half his body sticking out most of the time
    that is an excellent behviour. he is basking while hiding. what he would normally do out in the wild with his head poking out of a burrow, rock outcropping, etc.

sounds like you're doing great with your sav. congrats!

Jeanne, did you ever get my reply to your pm?
    -marshall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast