Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,875

0 members and 2,875 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question Snake Terrarium.. HELP

I have a terrarium for my ball python and I was wondering if it would be okay to put frogs and other small amphibians in with it? And another question is.. would the snake eat them? And I'm talking about small frogs and salamander caught from outside near a brook by my house. The environment will be good for the snake as well as the frogs. Please help. I don't know if I should or not.

Thanks

Re: Snake Terrarium.. HELP

i'm guessing that they have different temp. and humidity needs, plus i'm pretty sure the other constant captive roommates would add to the stress of your ball. i'm guessing most will agree that it would be better to keep the bp separate. that would be a neat little environment though but yeah...i'm still going to go with separate. i saw on a show today that cobras in tanzania normally eat amphibians and i don't know, if the bp gets wind of that...you knows.....jk.
    -billy
    We are here to laugh at the odds and live so well that Death will tremble to take us -Bukowski
    0.1.1 BPs (Aza and Abasi)
    0.1 RTB (Eden)
    0.0.1 Cornsnake (Sarge)
    1.0 Sphynx kitten (Doorknob)
    0.1 Boo (Brett)

Thanks

Also, don't forget that wild caught animals may bring unwanted diseases or bacteria into the enclosure and infect the bp as well.

Thanks

It's bad enought to keep two balls in the same tank, let alone different species.
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Thanks

It's bad to put two balls in the same cage? Why is that? I got them from the same tank at petco. They had like 10 in the same cage and I'm pretty sure they're all siblings. They get along, lol. Always wrapped up together.

Okay, I probably won't put in the other animals if it does make them stressed, but just thought it would be a cool idea. Thanks for your help!

Thanks

i hear that them wrapping together or "cuddling" is usually a competition for dominance/ the best spots such as heating and security. there are a ton of threads about it hear that i've read. check it out. cannibalism doesn't happen much but chances are they will be more stressed out. i think you might be kidding though? anyone else?
    -billy
    We are here to laugh at the odds and live so well that Death will tremble to take us -Bukowski
    0.1 RTB (Eden)
    0.0.1 Cornsnake (Sarge)
    0.1 Boo (Brett)

Thanks

What do you mean you think I might be kidding? And they were in the same tank when I got them so they always knew eachother. Won't that be a good thing?

Thanks

just because they were in the same tank when you got them doesn't mean it was good. i've seen a lot of things wrong in pet stores that go against obvious correct husbandry such as not supplying hides for ball pythons, no heat gradient, multiple animals in one tank, and on and on. from what i know, snakes are solitary animals and thrive in their own personal space. if they were sugar gliders than yeah i would say have them together, those are community animals as opposed to the way snakes in nature work. i would recommend getting a separate enclosure for one of them for the best situation they both could be in. i love the quote (i forgot who has it on their signature) "once you put an animal in a cage YOU are 100% responsible". I'd read up on it more or ask someone that knows more than I do. Pretty sure I'm giving correct advice though.

-billy
    -billy
    0.1 RTB (Eden)
    0.0.1 Cornsnake (Sarge)
    0.1 Boo (Brett)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think you're kidding.

Snakes are not social creatures. A pet store puts a bunch of them in one tank because they can cram more animals for sale into a smaller space that way. Doesn't mean that's the right way to permanently keep them. In fact, pet stores are notorious for having NO CLUE about how to properly care for most of the reptiles they sell...so please don't think that just because they do something means its the right way.

Ball pythons are "loners" in nature. They live alone. They hunt alone. They come together briefly to mate and then separate again. They dont' want to live with other snakes. They want their favorite hide...their favorite warm and cool spots....and a fresh, healthy rodent. Another snake in their territory is merely something that must be competed with, tolerated, or dominated. (And in rare instances...eaten.)

Also...if one of them regurgitates....how will you know which one it is? If one of them has runny poo, how will you know?

Your snakes may survive living together, but if you want them to thrive...they need to each have their own enclosure.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwk811
    What do you mean you think I might be kidding? And they were in the same tank when I got them so they always knew eachother. Won't that be a good thing?
    No its a very bad thing. They don't want it or need it. Seperate them ASAP for their health.

PETCO is the worst place to get advise.

Snakes don't cuddle up. They are competing for either heat or dominance.
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid