Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,135

1 members and 3,134 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Breeding question (not genetics though)

I just got access to a female sunglow corn and a possible male great plains rat snake (which cross for creamsicle babies) The question is....are they to old? The sunglow is about 10 and the great plains rat snake is about 15. I have a friend that is going to probe the rat snake for me because the owner isnt sure. They two owners have agreed to let me breed them, and i told them i would take care of breeding them and deal with the eggs for a couple of the babies. I think im goin to try it with out cooling first, but if that doesnt work, I'll cool them and try again. They both said the main reason they hadnt tried to breed any before is because the cooling was somewhat of a pain. Anyway, do you think they're to old to breed?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Breeding question (not genetics though)

The great plains is a male. FINALLY got it sexed today. I now have access to a small frige, so im gonna turn it as warm as it will go, and see if it will go warm enough to cool them in. If it will im gonna go ahead and cool them the first time as much as i hate to have to wait. Better to have a more sure thing i guess. Anyway, im cleanin out the fridge monday, then i have to check the feeding records and see how long since their last meal, then finish the 2 weeks of not feeding before the cooling starts. The guy that came to sex it for me said he didnt think the age should be a problem and that the female(i had him check it too since it was a babie when it was bought, and mistakes can be made in sexing) looked very healthy and should be in good shape to breed. I CANT WAIT

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by piranhaking
    The great plains is a male. FINALLY got it sexed today. I now have access to a small frige, so im gonna turn it as warm as it will go, and see if it will go warm enough to cool them in. If it will im gonna go ahead and cool them the first time as much as i hate to have to wait. Better to have a more sure thing i guess. Anyway, im cleanin out the fridge monday, then i have to check the feeding records and see how long since their last meal, then finish the 2 weeks of not feeding before the cooling starts. The guy that came to sex it for me said he didnt think the age should be a problem and that the female(i had him check it too since it was a babie when it was bought, and mistakes can be made in sexing) looked very healthy and should be in good shape to breed. I CANT WAIT
    A correct me if i misunderstood you here.Are you going to place these snakes inside of this refridg in order to cool them down? If so you will NOT cool them down but infact you will KILL them from lack of oxygen .Also its kinda late to try to breed for this year and to early for next season.Majority of people breed there colubrids in the spring as i do also.If these are not even your snakes are you sure they are even healthy enough to breed? What if one dies or both in your possesion are you able to reamburse the owner for his loss?I am not trying to be rude here,just shocked and confused by your posts .
    Joe Haggard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I do plan to ventalate the fridge. We will be sitting it up to use for nothing else so i will be able to modify it as needed. I should have mentioned that in the first post, but i didnt. As far as timing goes, I have read that some breeders are breeding year round and with out cooling, and being successful with it. It seems to me that it shouldnt matter all that much. I dont see where the snakes would have any way of knowing what part of the year it is anyway. They have no input from outside. They are both kept inside, in rooms with no exterior windows. They have no way to detect changes in the temp, or day length, etc. They have both been in captivity for atleast 10 years. Once the young are born, they will be inside, their food will be provided, so they dont have to rely on being able to find food of the right size. There is no issue with temp, because once again, they are inside. The guy that came to sex them for me is involved in alot of snake breeding. He took care of most the snakes at the school before he graduated, and since he gratuated he has been working strictly with a breeder that has been working with alot of milk snakes and did corns for a while. He said both snakes looked to be in very good shape. I completely understand your concern though, you didnt come across as rude at all. I may be way off base on the aspect of the timing not being as important though. I guess i need to look into that a little more. Maybe i should go ahead and wait a few more months. Also, any ideas on any other way to cool them when theres not a room cool enough around.
    Last edited by piranhaking; 09-15-2006 at 11:34 PM.

Thanks

I do plan to ventalate the fridge. We will be sitting it up to use for nothing else so i will be able to modify it as needed. I should have mentioned that in the first post, but i didnt. As far as timing goes, I have read that some breeders are breeding year round and with out cooling, and being successful with it. It seems to me that it shouldnt matter all that much. I dont see where the snakes would have any way of knowing what part of the year it is anyway. They have no input from outside. They are both kept inside, in rooms with no exterior windows. They have no way to detect changes in the temp, or day length, etc. They have both been in captivity for atleast 10 years. Once the young are born, they will be inside, their food will be provided, so they dont have to rely on being able to find food of the right size. There is no issue with temp, because once again, they are inside. The guy that came to sex them for me is involved in alot of snake breeding. He took care of most the snakes at the school before he graduated, and since he gratuated he has been working strictly with a breeder that has been working with alot of milk snakes and did corns for a while. He said both snakes looked to be in very good shape. I completely understand your concern though, you didnt come across as rude at all. I may be way off base on the aspect of the timing not being as important though. I guess i need to look into that a little more. Maybe i should go ahead and wait a few more months. Also, any ideas on any other way to cool them when theres not a room cool enough around.
    Ok i understand now,you just freaked me out with the refridg thing :eek: .Good luck
    Joe Haggard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yea, id say soo. Id have probably went a little :eek: too, now that i look back at how that sounded. They joys of knowing what we mean and unintentionally assuming other people do too. haha

Thanks

OK,you added some as i was writing lol.The only ways i have heard of some cooling there snake is placing them in a basement or a closet in a unheated room.This of course is done during the cold months.If you want my opinion i would wait till spring and feed them well over the next several months.I do not cool my snakes at all ever and still have had positive results.I forgot where are you?
    Joe Haggard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Im in Tennessee, but i dont know of anywhere at school that is cool enough (even during winter) and there is no way i could bring them home (parents) The corn i have now, and the ones ill be getting will be kept at school, till i move in a couple years.

Thanks

Im in Tennessee, but i dont know of anywhere at school that is cool enough (even during winter) and there is no way i could bring them home (parents) The corn i have now, and the ones ill be getting will be kept at school, till i move in a couple years.
    Wow thats going to be really hard to deal with then.What about vacations like Thanksgiving and stuff who will be able to care for them at school?Good luck and keep me posted if anything comes about with the breeding
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    Ok i understand now,you just freaked me out with the refridg thing :eek: .Good luck
    Arent you suppose to slowly cool them down? Not dramatically cool them down then dramatically bring temps back up. That was said to me from someone before when i asked about breeding my snakes. And arent fridge temps a bit too cold for normal? I hear 60 degrees is pretty cool enough for them to recognize its cold and then after a few months like that slowly bring temps back up to the 80's....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast