Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,424

0 members and 2,424 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What would you do?

Well, I decided I was going to do research about Burmese Pythons and help out with any reptile shelter I can that has Burmese Pythons until I finish college and can handle and afford these gentle giants. I would definately rescue one from a shelter when I am ready. (Once again...not now, after I am done with college. )

I was just wondering, how would you get one of them off if they decided to go for a chunk of me and constricted? I know for smaller snakes that you would use some sort of alcohol and pour a little on them, but I don't know if this is true for a 120 pound 15 foot snake!

Also, any good references for care and tips on keeping them?
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Wink Re: What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by bpkid
    Well, I decided I was going to do research about Burmese Pythons and help out with any reptile shelter I can that has Burmese Pythons until I finish college and can handle and afford these gentle giants. I would definately rescue one from a shelter when I am ready. (Once again...not now, after I am done with college. )

I was just wondering, how would you get one of them off if they decided to go for a chunk of me and constricted? I know for smaller snakes that you would use some sort of alcohol and pour a little on them, but I don't know if this is true for a 120 pound 15 foot snake!

Also, any good references for care and tips on keeping them?
    The answer is plain and simple,NEVER place yourself in that type of situation!!! Never try to handle a large snake by yourself,always have someone near.Remember everytime you open its enclosure you are entering his world.I have had both albino burmese pythons and a retic and they were a handfull and then some.I used welders gloves when ever i opened there enclosures to reach in and they learned it was not food and i never once had one attempt to bite me.If by chance you are ever in the situation and are attacked i have been told alcohol soes work.Please remember you are the one who decides if you are attacked or not by not doing something stupid,the snake only reacts to what you have done.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Re: What would you do?

I will NEVER take a chance like that. I would always have at least one other herp savvy person with me whenever the cage is opened, whether for cleaning, or for handling.

Thanks

I will NEVER take a chance like that. I would always have at least one other herp savvy person with me whenever the cage is opened, whether for cleaning, or for handling.
    Smart man
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    Smart man

So I'm told

Thanks

Keep a bootle of pure grain alcohol in the snake room and NEVER go near a large constrictor alone. Always have someone nearby.

If bitten and constriction starts, the alcohol poured on it's head (it will get in the mouth that way) will make the snake release.

Make sure you do not smell like food.
    Never lean into a large constrictors cage headfirst.
    Use tongs to feed.

Buy a hook. Use the hook to tap the snake and make it aware of you whenever you need to work with it. When feeding it, NEVER have the hook with you.
    You want the snake to relate the hook with coming out and no hook with food.

This guy wrapped me once and even though was small (only about 9 feet and thin), it was almost impossible to unwrap him with one arm free. Thankfully the wife was there and poured some grain on him. He let go right away.

With time, you can get to pick up on the snakes body language but since you are talking about rescues that may have been abused, they are far more unpredictable and you won't have the benefit of learning about the snakes habits as it grows. This one came to me after being underfed and poked with clothes hangers by it's previous idiot owner.

Thanks

Thanks SPJ, that was very helpful!

Does anyone suggest any books that can be found at a local library?

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ
    Keep a bootle of pure grain alcohol in the snake room and NEVER go near a large constrictor alone. Always have someone nearby.

If bitten and constriction starts, the alcohol poured on it's head (it will get in the mouth that way) will make the snake release.

Make sure you do not smell like food.
    Never lean into a large constrictors cage headfirst.
    Use tongs to feed.

Buy a hook. Use the hook to tap the snake and make it aware of you whenever you need to work with it. When feeding it, NEVER have the hook with you.
    You want the snake to relate the hook with coming out and no hook with food.

This guy wrapped me once and even though was small (only about 9 feet and thin), it was almost impossible to unwrap him with one arm free. Thankfully the wife was there and poured some grain on him. He let go right away.

With time, you can get to pick up on the snakes body language but since you are talking about rescues that may have been abused, they are far more unpredictable and you won't have the benefit of learning about the snakes habits as it grows. This one came to me after being underfed and poked with clothes hangers by it's previous idiot owner.
    Nice looking retic Steve .They poked it with a hanger huh? Makes ya kinda want to poke them and see how they like it
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Thanks SPJ, that was very helpful!

Does anyone suggest any books that can be found at a local library?
    A waste of time as most books in library are so old and full of crap.Google search and read up on things that pretty much tell you the truth not some old wise tell misbeliefs from the 1950 lol.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    A waste of time as most books in library are so old and full of crap.Google search and read up on things that pretty much tell you the truth not some old wise tell misbeliefs from the 1950 lol.

OK, lol. So the alcohol will make them let go right away? Or is this with some snakes only?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast