Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,091

5 members and 3,086 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help plz

Thanks

help plz

can sum one tell me where i can find somthing that can tell me how to raise a handleable monitor plz

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: help plz

ackies are the best "beginner" monitor. read the pro exotics caresheet and ask plenty of questions.
    -marshall

Thanks

hey mr python can u send me that like forum on how to make a moniter handleable plz

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

-marshall

Thanks

uhhmm for sum reason it cant show

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

hmmm, you're right. i dont know what happened. its worked before. im really sorry. if you'd like i can explain it really quick.
    -marshall

Thanks

plz do so

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

well, when you first get your monitor leave it alone. completely ignore it other then to feed it and clean its cage until its comfortable with you being in or near its cage. let him get used to his cage and new surroundings.

after that start to sit by its cage and read, do homework, etc. but still completely ignoring it. this will give him a chance to observe you instead of you observing it.

once you've done this you can start to place your hand in his cage. away from him. if hr doesnt come to it just wait, then wait some more, then wait some more until your arm gets tired. the next day put your hand in there but a little closer, then a little more closer the next day, then a little closer the next day, etc, but never touching him. let him do the last part (climbing up your hand). if he shows any signs of aggravation (curling tail, puffed up throat, etc.) or of stress (closed eyes, running to his hide) then take your hand out and try again tomorrow.

pretty soon he will want to investigate your hand and you will have a handleable monitor (ive found this step is particularly easy with some help from a mealworm or two ). but remember, only handle him when he wants to be handled. if you open up his hide and just pick him up he might lose trust in you and you'll have to start over again.

that was the jist of it anyway
    -marshall

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr~python
    completely ignore it other then to feed it and clean its cage until its comfortable with you being in or near its cage.

So Marshall, let me get this straight here man..lol.. I am actually doing this all wrong then... I have not been getting in his cage with him... Marshall, I am not the tallest in my family for sure, I am the midget around here that all the tall ppl have to be around to get stuff in cabnets for me when THEY put stuff up to high, forgetting I am height challenged...

So anyhow.. I dont think I can fit in his enclosure with him..any suggestions short of having the family make me shorter by chopping off my legs so I can fit in there with him? I really want to do this right Marshall.... if we figure a way around this..do I have to sleep in his hides with him?

Disclaimer: This is a joke, made to make others get a chuckle....
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

yeah i like to walk around in my ackies cage every once and a while.

i actually just meant putting your hands in the enclosure to change water, pick up poop or anything by saying "in". lol
    -marshall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast