Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,048

5 members and 3,043 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Sav feeding question

Well, my sav has been with us for almost 2 weeks now.... I expected him to not eat as well as what would be normal considering he was suppose to be settling in, and I was right. He would not touch pinkies no matter what, could not figure out why....

Yesterday, I found a new petshop just around the corner from my house, and it turns out the owner has a nice supply of different size rats and mice... including pinkies, fuzzies and whatnot.... So, I bought 2 tiny mouse pinkies and a hopper cause I was really unsure whether or not he would even touch them to begin with....I started with the pinkies, and he gobbled them down like they wewre nothing and continued to cruise his enclosure looking for more... so I fed him the hopper, once again, he gobbled it down. But did not look for more after that... so I assummed he was full.

Keep in mind, he is a juvie, not sure of the age, wish I had a better guess on age, cause I have no clue..he is about 12 inches long from head to end of his tail....

My questions:
    1. How much on average will a sav eat a day? And what prey items/food are most commonly offered by those who keep savs?
    *something tells me these guys can be bottomless pits if you let them, but I just want to be sure he eats enough daily
    2. Whole prey items- how often should they be fed? How many a week on average should I be prepared for at this stage of the game with my sav? What is the most common/preferred way to feed whole prey? (No I am not starting a live vs. f/t debate, just asking what the norm is..what others do)

and I think thats all..... for now
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Re: Sav feeding question

i feed my savannaha that is only about 8 in bigger 1 adult mouse every other day and about 25 crickets on the off days. yours at his size could easily eat a medium mouse. it is aloways cheaper to feed 1 larger pray item than it is to feed three smaller. keep in mind he is going to start takeing huge dumps now, that reak.

as far as what type of item to feed. i for the longest time just stuned ( smacking them off the hard flore) them then threw them in whial they were twitching (this seems to be what he goes after the hardest). i have also fed live. your savannaha will eat them alive, one of the most bizzar things you have ever seen!. but now i only feed F/T and he still eats the crap out of them.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Sav feeding question

feed him as much as he will eat everyday. keep the diet mainly insects and try not to feed rodents often.
    http://repticzone.com/forums/Monitor...es/959459.html http://repticzone.com/forums/Monitor...es/884080.html this should help you a lot.
    -marshall