Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,000

1 members and 2,999 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handling

Thanks

Question Handling

1rst timer here with BP's. So here is my problem. I have been researching this fascinating animal for the last month and a half, I can't wait till the day I can have my snake lay on my chest. Or allow my daughter to hadle her.

Since I picker her up from this reptile store 3 days ago she will not allow my to reach in and pick her up. The day before I picked her up, she was fed. The clerk said give her a couple of days before you start handling her.

My question is this, should I wait a couple more days before I try to pick her up again? Maybe she needs more time to acclimate ?

If so, do I leave her completely alone? I like to sit in front of her tank and watch her but everytime I go by her cage she goes into her defense position.

Thanks-

Thanks

Re: Handling

Give her a week before you handle to acclimate to her new environment, thats the general rule, although most here would wait a few consecutive successful meals before handling.

Sometimes they're a bit sassy until they've been handled a few times, best bet is to just stick your hand in no hesitation and pick her up, thats how i dealt with my grouch male, he was more bark than bite.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

i would wait a week or two. give it some time to settle in and get comfortable with its surroundings.

Thanks

Yes, you should wait at least a week before handling her. It would be even wiser to wait until she ate a couple of times. I'm not sure what you mean by not allowing you to get her. She might hiss or get into a strike position, but just gently reach in and grab her from behind. I'm sure she'll calm down as soon as you have her in your hands. Right now she thinks you're coming to eat her, so give her time to get used to her new environment and realize that you're not trying to eat her, and she'll calm down.

-Lawrence

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Everyone has given so great advice about that letting them settle in and all. Good luck with the little guy/girl.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Thanks all for those quick replys. I'll just wait for her next feeding day which is on Saturday " 5 days from now" before I attemp to pick her up.

Hopefully she'll calm down by then.

Thanks to all again....

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltcreep
    Thanks all for those quick replys. I'll just wait for her next feeding day which is on Saturday " 5 days from now" before I attemp to pick her up.

Hopefully she'll calm down by then.

Thanks to all again....
    I know how anxious you are to handle your new snake...we've all been through that phase. But I really want to advise against handling her on her feeding day. If she's already stressed and nervous, doing so will not help her feel any more secure...and she'll very likely refuse to eat.

One of your best indicators of whether she's feeling secure in her new home is if she readily takes her food. So what I would recommend is to feed her first before you attempt to handle her again...hopefully she'll eat. If she does, give her a couple more days to digest...and THEN pick her up for a short handling session. Of course, it's easy to recommend waiting until she's eaten 2-3 times before beginning any handling, but I do understand how impatient we can be. What I'm recommending would be the very bare minimum to give her a chance to realize her new home is secure and safe.

Good luck with her! And welcome to BP.net! :
    -- Judy

Thanks

Just try to remember to think of it from the snake's point of view. It hasn't a clue who you or your daughter are...you are just big possible predators in it's little basic mind. It only wants to survive so it's going to act defensively for awhile till it gets used to your being around it. It can't bond or interact like a dog or cat will do but with patience, kind but firm handling, respecting it for what it is and more importantly for what it's not most come around quite nicely.

The best thing is to establish habits and routines that you do over and over again. Eventually the snake will come to recognize them in a basic way and be less stressed by your being around it. I know it's hard but remember that you have a long relationship with this snake ahead of you so these first slow, careful weeks and months are building the relationship. It's never going to be like a "normal" pet...it is afterall a snake and basically wild at heart but it and you and your daughter can end up with a lovely, very special bond that's unsurpassed in my mind.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I'm a newbie of only 3 1 /2 weeks and I can't say enough of how much of a difference there was between week one and week two and even more so with week three. It was like a whole diffferent snake after that first week. The first week was disappointing to say the least. The snake was VERY defensive when just walking by its enclosure. My son tried filling his water bowl on day two and got nailed by him on his finger. Talk about being disappointed.

We were fortunate enough to have a friend who has 7-8 snakes, 2 being BP's, who was willing to stop by after the first week and work with my son and I on handling him during this acclimation period. I highly recommend if you have such a person to ask them to help you out the first week or two.

Someone mentioned earlier about not "second quessing" your attempt to pick him up. I would have to agree with that statement. The more you move your hand back and forth wondering if you should pick him up, the snake will get nervous at your motion and no doubt strike/bite. Dive in there with a "steady" motion and lift him out. Make sure you support the mid/heavy body section. The snake will learn to trust your support/lift technic eventually.

After week 3 recently we have a NICE & doscile BP.

Hang in There!
    Last edited by BPdad; 08-30-2006 at 02:11 PM.
    Lon
    1.0.0 Ball Python, 0.1.0 Normal Corn Snake, 1.0.0 Fluorescent Orange Corn Snake, 0.1.0 Striped Motley Anery Corn Snake, 1.0.0 Albino Checkered Garter Snake
    1.1.0 D. tinctorius: Surinam Cobalt, 0.0.2 D. azureus
    1.0.0 White's Tree Frog
    1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1.0 Weimaraner

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Just try to remember to think of it from the snake's point of view. It hasn't a clue who you or your daughter are...you are just big possible predators in it's little basic mind. It only wants to survive so it's going to act defensively for awhile till it gets used to your being around it. It can't bond or interact like a dog or cat will do but with patience, kind but firm handling, respecting it for what it is and more importantly for what it's not most come around quite nicely.

The best thing is to establish habits and routines that you do over and over again. Eventually the snake will come to recognize them in a basic way and be less stressed by your being around it. I know it's hard but remember that you have a long relationship with this snake ahead of you so these first slow, careful weeks and months are building the relationship. It's never going to be like a "normal" pet...it is afterall a snake and basically wild at heart but it and you and your daughter can end up with a lovely, very special bond that's unsurpassed in my mind.
    excellent advice Jo.
    There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast