Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,838

1 members and 2,837 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Finally settling in....

OK, so his home is not your typical monitor type caging, however it has what he needs and it works for him. He started in a rubber maid that was see through, but he was so nervous, I went out and bought this 50 gallon rubber maid bin, and turned it into a decent home where he feels more comfortable. I mimiced (sp) housing I saw elsewhere, the one I mimiced is a trough for feeding and watering horses and cattle, 110 gallon I think, however, mine is smaller and more appropriate for his current size with a few modifications. Originally, he was to go in a 40 gallon breeder tank... but this worked out better any how cause it provides him with security, and right now, thats my number one priority. Oh yes, by the way, no that blue thing in the pic (inside his cage) is not FULL of water, in fact, it only has about 2 to 3 inches of water in it, he seems to like to be able to get in the water on his own for soaking..plus he likes to use it as a bathrom every morning... and yes he can get in and out easily without issues.

We had him out yesterday, and he calmed right down and crawled up to my shoulder and perched himself there for awhile, till he was ready to come back down and lay on my chest and went to sleep while I scratched/rubbed his neck. This AM I had him out, cause he looked itchy, rubbing himself all over everything,his skin is coming off in tiny pieces (he is in shed), so I figured he was due for a bath and some help shedding.. he once again fell asleep on me.

He is a sweet guy, and has made an awesome addition to our growing collection.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Finally settling in....

That's awesome Jeanne! I'm looking forward to watching that one grow up...so keep taking lots of pics!
    -- Judy

Thanks

Oh he's a good looking fella, Jeanne! Can't wait to see him when he's fully grown.
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

ooh, he is looking good Jeanne! good luck with the shed! i bet he'd love some dirt to dig into.
    -marshall

Thanks

Hey Marshall, what do you do if anything when/if your monitors have shedding issues, same as I have done?
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

you have to remember monitors dont shed in one piece. they continually shed, even into the next shed "cycle" you'll see them shedding along and then ANOTHER layer of skin will start to shed. just leave them be. they're not having shedding problems until you start to see the tail tip or claws starting to become constricted. then you catch the shed with your fingernail and help it along, soak if needed.
    -marshall