Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,926

2 members and 2,924 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Does your snake love you?

Voters
1668. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know my snake loves me!

774 46.40%
  • I know my snake doesn't care. It does not feel emotions.

894 53.60%
Page 8 of 77 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I think my snake loves me

Quote Originally Posted by Waldorf_301
    I think he loves ya too! Cause if you REALLY knew what he was thinking of You... Ohh Boy!.... That be 1 homeless snake. lol JUST KIDDING

Hope I didn't make you mad w/that.. My snakelooks so cute right now, cause he's about to shed, he's rubbing his nose on the glass to loosing the skin.

I just wanna poke him and say " hey snake..look " And that! Was how America was won buy the French.."

Where he @???Where he @???Peanut butter Jelly Time,Peanut butter Jelly Time, PeanutButterJelly,PeanutButterJelly, PeanutButterJelly With A BaseBall Bat!
    agreed

FREAKING A! ITS PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME OH MY GOOOOOD!!!
    (i used to think that every time i saw the banana! but that dancing carrot threw me off.)

Thanks

Yeah I saw the carrot and I was like " oh, k" then I saw the banana ! and then I knew..... OH YEAH, IT'S ON !!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hey folks....so far, we've had a very calm and deliberate debate going here. Let's keep it that way. We don't need to tell people how qualified they are to post an opinion based on how much education they have. People are free to believe what they wish, regardless...and so long as it fits within the framework of this site, they are free to express it here as well.

It doesn't do anyone any good to get yourself so worked up over something that someone else believes and your angst isn't going to change their mind. (The "you" in this sentence is to everyone in general and not to any single person.)

My personal opinion (and I tried hard to stay out of this, but since I have to post here anyhow...) is that snakes and other reptiles are incapable of feeling "love" as we know it and understand it. Or loyalty or companionship or any of the other "warm & fuzzy" feelings we like to attribute to our pets. However, I do think it is the height of pride (hubris, if you will ) to suggest that snakes are incapable of any feelings/emotion whatsoever. To assume that just because they are biologically primitive and have small brains that there is no function for some sort of feelings, I think, is just as wishful thinking as to assume they can love us just because we want them to. We simply can't know all that goes on within them....or any other creature.
    -- Judy

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

AlexisFitzy (02-20-2014),Annarose15 (12-30-2011),Christine (03-02-2010),cristacake (09-10-2015),fluffpuffgerbil (07-27-2011),Fortune (04-19-2013),Ogre (12-26-2016),Parysa (01-03-2013),Surrealle (10-01-2013),Tanziny (08-15-2010),vivi (04-28-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakey68
    interesting perpective I doubt the masses will agree with you however but at least you state your beliefs.

personally I dont think your arguement holds any water whatsover and you could relate your thoughts to a stick insect or a spider for example, it does nothing to alter the perception of an emotional response in the creature.
    I do apply my definition of love to all, even to the least sophisticated microbe. I think it makes the world a more interesting place. I could be wrong on all this. It is just my opinion.

Now, I am more interested in seeing some Daytona pics. Those are some phreaking hot looking snakes!!!
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Shahrazad)
    0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Joey)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jessie_k_pythons
    I'm much warmer then every one in the house and that I smell like mice and rats.

BINGO!!!!
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Thanks

even though it is opinion, etc etc, if we can kindly look to the poll's results it seems people with more experience with bps voted 'no love'. ironic?

either way, as 'philosophical' as this debate was (or could be anyways) it was amusing.

Thanks

Personally my opinion is that snakes dont feel love towards there owners, as has already been stated here they operate on instinct alone.
    Saying that though we cant just say because they have small brains they have no emotions what so ever, parrots for example eg :African greys they have a brain the size of a walnut but are one of the most intelligent of animals and science studies have found that African grey have the intelligence of a 5 year old and the emotions of a 3/4 year old

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steveo
    Personally my opinion is that snakes dont feel love towards there owners, as has already been stated here they operate on instinct alone.
    Saying that though we cant just say because they have small brains they have no emotions what so ever, parrots for example eg :African greys they have a brain the size of a walnut but are one of the most intelligent of animals and science studies have found that African grey have the intelligence of a 5 year old and the emotions of a 3/4 year old
    I dont think anyone here is saying they dont- trust me, i bet crowley gets hot to trot when he hears that mouse thumping around his hide!

African Grey's are very clever little animals- along with pigs- I used to think that dolphins were also intelligent, but someone new has suggested prehaps not so considering they can be 'trapped' in fishing nets where the tuna intentionally hunted have no problem flinging themselves over the rim. dolphins do not......?

Thanks

I don't know what I think. I believe that snakes are capable of recognizing different people, and feeling more comfortable with certain people. There was actually a study on retics that showed they were able to recognize different people, becoming extremely defensive around new people, and just calmly coming out of the cage to their owner. My Olive python I believe is capable of recognizing different people, and remembering who they are. I know people will tell me I am wrong, but several people that come over here comment on how remarkable it is that the snakes seem to recognize me. So in one sense, yes I think snakes can show love in their own way. I don't believe it is in the same way we show love, but I do believe they can show comfort with their owners.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dougie For This Useful Post:

Brokenangelr (08-20-2012),cristacake (09-10-2015),Fortune (04-19-2013),Kimber (11-06-2012),Miss Mayhem (07-09-2017),PokeyTheNinja (01-14-2016),vivi (04-28-2020)

Thanks

I agree with Dougie. I don't think snakes are capable of 'love' (although my friend insists that my snake hates the world...), I do think they recognize those that hold them all the time. My Children's python is VERY defensive and jumpy when anyone else but me holds her, even if hand her off to the other person.

But then again, my brother's corn snake doesn't seem to react different to anyone at all....hm...now that makes me question my whole opinion...lol
    ~Lisa
    0.1 Children's Python, "Isis"
    0.1 Spotted Python, "Cora"
    1.1 Dogs, "Coco"- Cockapoo, "Thumper"- mutt 0.1 Cat, "Jinx"

Page 8 of 77 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast