Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,904

0 members and 2,904 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Does your snake love you?

Voters
1668. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know my snake loves me!

774 46.40%
  • I know my snake doesn't care. It does not feel emotions.

894 53.60%
Page 7 of 77 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I think my snake loves me

Quote Originally Posted by mr~python
    thats what im talkin about.
    i believe most animals become conditioned...and most reactions are based on that.

oh..and PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!
    *_*Erica*_*
    And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance,character; and character, hope.
    Romans 5:2-4

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4Khan
    PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAHHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!
    -marshall

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shhhli
    do what now??
    i do not believe for a minute that feeling secure or emboldened or safe are a definiton of love. i have never won a debate and gone "wow, i feel empowered LOVE YES" or some other .. thing that has caused emboldenment in my own personal self. yes love is very over used- but those words, they have no relation to the word love, they can be put into a sentence with the word love- but as far as someone using the word 'secure' as a synonym for love. nope.

Dictionary dot com:
    and i hope im not diminishing it..?
    1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
    2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
    3. sexual passion or desire.
    4. a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
    5. (used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?
    6. a love affair; an intensely amorous incident; amour.
    7. sexual intercourse; copulation.
    8. (initial capital letter) a personification of sexual affection, as Eros or Cupid.
    9. affectionate concern for the well-being of others: the love of one's neighbor.
    10. strong predilection, enthusiasm, or liking for anything: her love of books.
    11. the object or thing so liked: The theater was her great love.
    12. the benevolent affection of God for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God.
    13. Chiefly Tennis. a score of zero; nothing.
    14. a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter L.
    –verb (used with object) 15. to have love or affection for: All her pupils love her.
    16. to have a profoundly tender, passionate affection for (another person).
    17. to have a strong liking for; take great pleasure in: to love music.
    18. to need or require; benefit greatly from: Plants love sunlight.
    19. to embrace and kiss (someone), as a lover.
    20. to have sexual intercourse with.
    –verb (used without object) 21. to have love or affection for another person; be in love.
    —Verb phrase22. love up, to hug and cuddle: She loves him up every chance she gets.
    —Idioms23. for love, a. out of affection or liking; for pleasure.
    b. without compensation; gratuitously: He took care of the poor for love.

24. for the love of, in consideration of; for the sake of: For the love of mercy, stop that noise.
    25. in love, infused with or feeling deep affection or passion: a youth always in love.
    26. in love with, feeling deep affection or passion for (a person, idea, occupation, etc.); enamored of: in love with the girl next door; in love with one's work.
    27. make love, a. to embrace and kiss as lovers.
    b. to engage in sexual activity.

28. no love lost, dislike; animosity: There was no love lost between the two brothers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: bef. 900; (n.) ME; OE lufu, c. OFris luve, OHG luba, Goth lub?; (v.) ME lov(i)en, OE lufian; c. OFris luvia, OHG lub?n to love, L lub?re (later lib?re) to be pleasing; akin to lief]

—Synonyms 1. tenderness, fondness, predilection, warmth, passion, adoration. 1, 2. Love, affection, devotion all mean a deep and enduring emotional regard, usually for another person. Love may apply to various kinds of regard: the charity of the Creator, reverent adoration toward God or toward a person, the relation of parent and child, the regard of friends for each other, romantic feelings for another person, etc. Affection is a fondness for others that is enduring and tender, but calm. Devotion is an intense love and steadfast, enduring loyalty to a person; it may also imply consecration to a cause. 2. liking, inclination, regard, friendliness. 15. like. 16. adore, adulate, worship.
    —Antonyms 1, 2. hatred, dislike. 15, 16. detest, hate.

now, if you feel that some how we are taking bits of 'love' and forgetting others i am for one a bit offended. i have several types of love- for my boyfriend who i intend to spend the rest of my life with and endow a great deal of my heart and emotion- the love for my family, friends, pets and things that i enjoy to do at leasure- i am sorry, i do not feel in any shape form or fashion that anything a snake will feel or 'think' comes anywhere near any of those i have just described.

one might say that #10 could support your ideas BUT lets look at it a bit closer.
    My Snake LOVES his tree limb.
    reasons:
    -stake out for prey
    -protection from predators
    -temperature/climate

you could say that that, is, indeed love but i have sever doubts, why? because the snake did not decide on that tree branch. through experience, location, or bodily needs did that snake pick that tree branch. only does it continue to go to the branch is because it -knows- it can get the food better and have a higher predatory success rate OR that it feels for the time being THAT is the location of safety when it is just as likely to hide anywhere else and FINALLY its BODY is telling it it needs that temperature, that humidity that basking spot RIGHT NOW for its on life's purposes. later its body will tell it to go higher or lower. snakes imo are like an organic machine, living breathing and deserving of the care and effort we bestow upon them, but a machine none the less.
    eat. sleep. poop. shed. mate. reproduce. survive.
    You seem to claim that love can encompass nothing more than what is in the text of the definition in the dictionary. Love is a concept that artists and scientists have since the beginning of recorded time tried to define. A legalistic and inflexible definition from some on-line dictionary does not settle the debate for me about what love is and is not and I hope it doesn't settle the debate for others either.

Your entire argument seems to say that if another being can not love the way that you love your boyfriend, family, pets and what-not, then whatever they feel can not be considered to be love. In that case then I am a bit offended by your hubris.

I think that your definition of love does diminish it as a total concept because I do feel that safety, security, and emboldenment are parts of the overall concept of love. Maybe poets and authors do not wax on and on about these concepts, but try to experience love without them. That love would be like the proverbial house built on sand.
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Shahrazad)
    0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Joey)

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RWillinnable For This Useful Post:

3x0dys (09-06-2010),Aiion (10-13-2009),Fortune (04-19-2013),Kimber (11-06-2012),Miss Mayhem (07-09-2017),MonkeyShuttle (03-05-2014),PokeyTheNinja (01-14-2016),vivi (04-28-2020),wonderfvl (12-04-2016)

Thanks

My male Baby knows me from any one else and comes up to me... it also might be the fact that I'm much warmer then every one in the house and that I smell like mice and rats.

My cat and my female rat wont leave me alone as well... ... :eek:
    (I think I know why!)
    Jessica K

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RWillinnable
    Your entire argument seems to say that if another being can not love the way that you love your boyfriend, family, pets and what-not, then whatever they feel can not be considered to be love. In that case then I am a bit offended by your hubris.
    If what you say is true then you won't have a problem nameing a few animals and the actions they exibit that you interpret as an expression of love. You can start with the ball python you own, I'm curious.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard
    If what you say is true then you won't have a problem nameing a few animals and the actions they exibit that you interpret as an expression of love. You can start with the ball python you own, I'm curious.
    OK. As I defined it earlier, I believe that in the overall concept of love, there are inherant building blocks. I used the words safe, secure, and emboldended. My BP has never had a problem with being held or me reaching into his cage or with me in any kind of way that I have noticed. He also seems to enjoy stretching out completely and me massaging his body. The conclusion that I come to in regards to my definition of love is he feels love towards me and his surroundings because he feels safe, secure, and emboldened.

I got into this discussion because I am troubled when people claim absolute understanding of a concept that is wholly fluid. Love, much like religion, has no one fundamental truth, but many subtle and underlying concepts which support it and I believe a few of those supports are the things I have mentioned.
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Shahrazad)
    0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Joey)

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to RWillinnable For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

3x0dys (09-06-2010),Aiion (10-13-2009),Brokenangelr (08-20-2012),cristacake (09-10-2015),Fortune (04-19-2013),Level12Teleport (03-29-2017),masonhall (05-29-2012),Miss Mayhem (07-09-2017),Parysa (01-03-2013),PokeyTheNinja (01-14-2016),Poseidon (07-03-2012),soulmeetsbody (12-10-2011),vivi (04-28-2020),wonderfvl (12-04-2016)

Thanks

OK. As I defined it earlier, I believe that in the overall concept of love, there are inherant building blocks. I used the words safe, secure, and emboldended. My BP has never had a problem with being held or me reaching into his cage or with me in any kind of way that I have noticed. He also seems to enjoy stretching out completely and me massaging his body. The conclusion that I come to in regards to my definition of love is he feels love towards me and his surroundings because he feels safe, secure, and emboldened.

I got into this discussion because I am troubled when people claim absolute understanding of a concept that is wholly fluid. Love, much like religion, has no one fundamental truth, but many subtle and underlying concepts which support it and I believe a few of those supports are the things I have mentioned.
    interesting perpective I doubt the masses will agree with you however but at least you state your beliefs.

personally I dont think your arguement holds any water whatsover and you could relate your thoughts to a stick insect or a spider for example, it does nothing to alter the perception of an emotional response in the creature.
    There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

Thanks

You seem to claim that love can encompass nothing more than what is in the text of the definition in the dictionary. Love is a concept that artists and scientists have since the beginning of recorded time tried to define. A legalistic and inflexible definition from some on-line dictionary does not settle the debate for me about what love is and is not and I hope it doesn't settle the debate for others either.

I think that your definition of love does diminish it as a total concept because I do feel that safety, security, and emboldenment are parts of the overall concept of love. Maybe poets and authors do not wax on and on about these concepts, but try to experience love without them. That love would be like the proverbial house built on sand.
    assumption makes an *** out of you and me, btw.
    what i was saying is that if you want to put a snakes usually one track mind on my level of 'love' than wow you're out of prespective.
    dilly dally all you want with philosophy, snakes have none.
    really- go watch the dog wisperer or something, then maybe you can learn no matter what people think, animals are not people and do not respond the way people do. simple.

*and yes, crowley gets 'seemingly' excited when i run my finger down his spine and arches his back. what could this mean? if someone did that to me i'd jump also. he also streatches out on me when i hold him, or clings to my neck- but oh wait! he also stretches out a lot in his cage AND clings around the outside of his hides! gee golly!

Thanks

Talking Re: I think my snake loves me

I think he loves ya too! Cause if you REALLY knew what he was thinking of You... Ohh Boy!.... That be 1 homeless snake. lol JUST KIDDING

Hope I didn't make you mad w/that.. My snakelooks so cute right now, cause he's about to shed, he's rubbing his nose on the glass to loosing the skin.

I just wanna poke him and say " hey snake..look " And that! Was how America was won buy the French.."

Where he @???Where he @???Peanut butter Jelly Time,Peanut butter Jelly Time, PeanutButterJelly,PeanutButterJelly, PeanutButterJelly With A BaseBall Bat!

Thanks

Horse wash. get off of you're blazing saddle and quit acting like you have a PhD in Aesthetic Philosophy or something similar because I can assure you you do not. So until you have some actual 'scholar' time and can put out some text on your 'beliefs' and have them approved by people of better standing then. just dont.

of course religion has no one fundamental truth. there are multiple religions.

i dont believe any of this gollap you have produced means (edit: anything). are you a poet? are you a writer. in all my ten years of writing stories and poetry have i ever used your tag-tails for love in my prose. i really dont know of others who have or directly state that to be secure is love. now, can you feel secure about something and love that? then yes. do i think a snake has a 'i love security' bit in his brain? no. i do however, think that a snake and his body would prefer the lesser stress level of security. so 'call it what you will' no matter how you poets and writers dolly it up- there is always the basic cold calculating but yet beautiful clockwork of these animals. no, they do not feel love- seriously- but its not hard to percieve that they do.

Page 7 of 77 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast