Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,813

2 members and 2,811 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Does your snake love you?

Voters
1668. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know my snake loves me!

774 46.40%
  • I know my snake doesn't care. It does not feel emotions.

894 53.60%
Page 10 of 77 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I think my snake loves me

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo
    But how do you honestly know that the snake is ok with being kept like that? The point people here are tyring to make (not taking sides) is how in the hell can you proof that what you are saying if even somewhat correct? Just because the majority agrees?
    No one can prove snakes don't have emotions....because it is impossible to prove a negative. All anyone can go by is the evidence provided by scientific studies and by personal obvservation....neither of which are capable of fully proving or disproving either point.

However, the BULK of the evidence would suggest that snakes have no capacity for experiencing complex emotions like "love" or even "affection." Scientific evidence, such as a tiny, relatively primitive brain structure...and personal observation of animals thriving in "plain" captive conditions would suggest that the snakes really don't care if they have fake plastic vines in their territory.

If some people want to use "personal observation" of their snake coming willingly to their hand when its placed into their enclosure as proof of some sort of emotional preference....well, more power to 'em.

I do believe there is far more to emotional make-up than scientists can possibly know...and it would be quite prideful to assert that snakes feel NOTHING simply because we have no comprehension of their ability to feel or what they might feel. But based on the preponderance of the evidence we do have available, I choose to believe they can thrive just fine in a plastic tub with the proper environment set up, no matter how "sterile" it might appear to us emotional humans.
    -- Judy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Pip (06-26-2010),STjepkes (01-18-2013)

Thanks

But how do you honestly know that the snake is ok with being kept like that? The point people here are tyring to make (not taking sides) is how in the hell can you proof that what you are saying if even somewhat correct? Just because the majority agrees?
    If a ball python thrives in a simplistic setup, wouldn't that mean it was okay with it? If it "didn't like it," don't you think there would be repercussions? I.E., stress. Look at breeders like Adam, NERD, etc. Their ball pythons are kept in simplistic setups, and they eat, shed, poop, breed, etc. I think that's a good way of judging if your snake "likes" his home.
    flickr
    Reptiles: 0.1 Colombian BCI

Thanks

Judy and Jason: I'm not disagreeing with you guys/girls at all! I house my snakes in tubs also. I was just asking... if we could proof wether or not they mind it. But yet again Judy drops the knowledge bomb and teaches me a lesson. Thanks for taking the time to shed some light on my questions.
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    1.1 Nerd Lemon Pastel & VPI Pastel
    1.1 100% Het Albino and Homo Albino
    1.1 100% Het Butterscotch/Yellow Hypo
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

1. If my snake eats every week.
    2. If it shows no signs of regurge, RI, etc...
    3. (Once they are older) If they breed with no complications...
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Thanks

Oh let me wade in here LOL. I would say I agree mostly with Judy's thoughts on this matter and strongly disagree with some of the posts calling snakes "mindless". Typical human belief system that we are this totally superior being and anything that isn't just like us is therefore "mindless".

Snakes may not have the capacity to show love as humans do, not because they are mindless but simply because nature didn't require they do so to thrive. They are perfectly developed for their place in our world and have a brain/mind just as fully developed for that place as we do for ours.

Do my snakes love me. Not likely and not in any way I could ever perceive so that's a moot point anyways. They are reactive to me in the only way they can be. I appreciate and honor their interactions with me for what they are, not trying to read human emotion into a non-human yet fully functional and developed creature of this world.
    ~~Joanna~~

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to frankykeno For This Useful Post:

Brokenangelr (08-20-2012),cristacake (09-10-2015),Miss Mayhem (07-09-2017),PokeyTheNinja (01-14-2016),soulmeetsbody (12-10-2011),STjepkes (01-18-2013),Tanziny (09-12-2010)

Thanks

I voted yes my snake loves me! Even though I dont think snakes are capable of such a complex emotion as love (heck a lot of humans cant even manage that one) I do believe that they can form bonds and begin to trust thier owner. Often times you will see a snake acting very docile in the hands of its owner, but when a stranger reaches over to hold it the snake becomes very timid, or aggresive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cady
    Often times you will see a snake acting very docile in the hands of its owner, but when a stranger reaches over to hold it the snake becomes very timid, or aggresive.
    I have experienced the complete opposite before....does that mean that my snake hates me?
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

No...lol

Thanks

Some thoughts:

My BP ~loves~ her privacy.
    She ~loves~ me for allowing and providing her that privacy.

Emotions are also called feelings, right? If one can feel, one can emote. Anything with a nervous system can obviously feel. It's a matter of opinion whether or not to think that "to feel" equates with "having feelings." I think that love is such a strong emotion for humans (and other mammals), because we are warm blooded and feel that blood very strongly in our hearts, and therefore the nerves that are deeply connected to that circulatory system. Snakes are built so differently. Being cold blooded, they have no warmth to share with others like we do. They express their love toward places in their environment that provide warmth and safety.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to arajara For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (01-14-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Oh let me wade in here LOL. I would say I agree mostly with Judy's thoughts on this matter and strongly disagree with some of the posts calling snakes "mindless". Typical human belief system that we are this totally superior being and anything that isn't just like us is therefore "mindless".

Snakes may not have the capacity to show love as humans do, not because they are mindless but simply because nature didn't require they do so to thrive. They are perfectly developed for their place in our world and have a brain/mind just as fully developed for that place as we do for ours.

Do my snakes love me. Not likely and not in any way I could ever perceive so that's a moot point anyways. They are reactive to me in the only way they can be. I appreciate and honor their interactions with me for what they are, not trying to read human emotion into a non-human yet fully functional and developed creature of this world.
    i think this pretty much sums up anything i tried in vain to say.
    perfect.
    awesome post.

Page 10 of 77 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast