Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,119

1 members and 3,118 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Does your snake love you?

Voters
1668. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know my snake loves me!

774 46.40%
  • I know my snake doesn't care. It does not feel emotions.

894 53.60%
Page 1 of 31 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

I think my snake loves me

Vote wether or not you believe your snake knows and show affection in odd noticable ways.
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    1.1 Nerd Lemon Pastel & VPI Pastel
    1.1 100% Het Albino and Homo Albino
    1.1 100% Het Butterscotch/Yellow Hypo
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kilo For This Useful Post:

Ratikal (12-26-2016),Sanyassin (11-21-2019),tegu (12-06-2016)

Thanks

Re: I think my snake loves me

no,snakes don't have feelings they're mindless.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to python kid For This Useful Post:

vincenzo (09-17-2019)

Thanks

This is just an opinion poll! (no facts allowed lol)

-Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    1.1 Nerd Lemon Pastel & VPI Pastel
    1.1 100% Het Albino and Homo Albino
    1.1 100% Het Butterscotch/Yellow Hypo
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kilo For This Useful Post:

h00blah (07-08-2010),platinumbp (11-27-2014),Ratikal (12-26-2016),ZiggiGirl (09-27-2015)

Thanks

Well, its not an opinion. Its a fact that snakes can't love or hate.
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shaun J For This Useful Post:

akjadlnfkjfdkladf (11-24-2011),Monty44 (04-18-2017),tegu (12-06-2016),vincenzo (09-17-2019)

Thanks

How do you know snakes can't love or hate? Have you ever been given the super human talent of feeling what other creatures experience?

I believe they do "feel" ... hell, i have one bp that's ticked off all the time and hisses any time i stick my hand in the tank and who strikes the glass when i walk by and another who while very young, escaped his tank (my own fault) and after hours of looking everywhere, i flop on my bed to cry and feel something under my pillow, turns out my escape artist turned up in my pillow case ... not my husbands, or in a nice warm spot.

He knows I'm the one who rubs my nails gently down his back - he arches himself so that i don't lose contact all the way to the tail. I drop the mice in his tank. I made him feel better when he had mites.

Maybe a snake loves (respects, admires, is thankful for) their owner if they are treated right (and I choose to believe this), but any creature who is cared for by another recgonizes the caretaker and will usually respond with an affectionate demeanor.

Cobra's will spit aiming at the eyes of what it feels to be it's enemy (it's a snake, how does it know to spit towards the eyes? It's not human but knows what to do to us to disable us quickly).

If a snake can instinctively know how to harm us, don't you think that if we respect them for what they are and provide them with all their necessities they just might develop a respect (or dare i say a love) for us?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ksbrneyes30 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (01-14-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksbrneyes30 View Post
    How do you know snakes can't love or hate? Have you ever been given the super human talent of feeling what other creatures experience?
    I do have super human talents but that is neither here nor there.

escaped his tank (my own fault) and after hours of looking everywhere, i flop on my bed to cry and feel something under my pillow, turns out my escape artist turned up in my pillow case ... not my husbands, or in a nice warm spot.
    Of course it was YOUR fault.

So your saying that you didn't secure one of your enclosures and your snake got out....slithered his lil self all over sniffing your pillow out cause...He loves you...

I don't buy it.

I made him feel better when he had mites.
    How did he get mites?

Maybe a snake loves (respects, admires, is thankful for) their owner if they are treated right (and I choose to believe this), but any creature who is cared for by another recgonizes the caretaker and will usually respond with an affectionate demeanor.
    What are you referring to...dogs, cats, domesticated animals???

You are probably right...your snake just wants to be hugged and kissed...

I tell you what...If your snake 'knows' you so well and LOVES you soooo much...Hold a rat on feeding day and then put just your hand in the tub and tell me if he strikes you. I mean...if he loves you why would he strike you???

Cobra's will spit aiming at the eyes of what it feels to be it's enemy (it's a snake, how does it know to spit towards the eyes? It's not human but knows what to do to us to disable us quickly).

uhmmm I don't know anything about cobras but I would have to say....that is their defense mechanism...which they do to all other species also.

If a snake can instinctively know how to harm us, don't you think that if we respect them for what they are and provide them with all their necessities they just might develop a respect (or dare i say a love) for us?
    Sure...cause snakes are just that complex.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

No I haven't. But as humans we like to think that emotion is a trait solely possessed by humans. Is it possible that animals can feel emotion...maybe..but to take a firm stand that "YES THEY CAN" with no more proof than we can offer to disprove the fact is just as naive.

I believe they do "feel" ... hell, i have one bp that's ticked off all the time and hisses any time i stick my hand in the tank and who strikes the glass when i walk by
    This sounds like a fear response not an anger management problem. See because we as larger creatures with round pupil forward set eyes are seen in the animal kingdom as a predator. This sounds like when you walk by the cage or stick your hand into it your snake feels like your going to try and eat it. So it tries to keep you from it. Even a long time pet snake with snap into defensive mode if surprised or startled.

and another who while very young, escaped his tank (my own fault) and after hours of looking everywhere, i flop on my bed to cry and feel something under my pillow, turns out my escape artist turned up in my pillow case ... not my husbands, or in a nice warm spot.
    As heart warming a thought as this is you must remember your snake had also been dozens of other places before that and had it not been found would have been many more places after the pillow case.

He knows I'm the one who rubs my nails gently down his back - he arches himself so that i don't lose contact all the way to the tail. I drop the mice in his tank. I made him feel better when he had mites.
    Please try something for me get your husband to try this with a wooden spoon or just his hand and see if you don't get the same response. Again this is a typical response that I get from snakes I have had for years and snakes I don't even own.

Maybe a snake loves (respects, admires, is thankful for) their owner if they are treated right (and I choose to believe this),
    I am glad that you feel so strongly about your pets it is a great thing to be an animal lover and even more so because they are herps. I just hate to think that you have false expectations about what your snake gets out of being your pet.

but any creature who is cared for by another recognizes the caretaker and will usually respond with an affectionate demeanor.
    And yet you have one that hisses and strikes and wont even let you in it's tank. So is that because of the caretaker or because the animal is afraid?
    Lions that are well cared for and loved by the people that care for them killer their keepers, The family dog will bite if scared or injured even if the person is acting in its best interest.
    In the end snakes are wild animals could they survive in the wild maybe but that doesn't make them any less wild.

Spitting cobras spit for the same reason balls ball up its how they have over years learned to best protect themselves.

Do i feel that reptiles can learn to understand we aren't going to hurt them, in a word show them that we aren't a predator. The answer is a resounding YES!!!!!

Do I feel they can experiance love as we do or on any level no. As much as I would like to have snakes that missed me when I am gone and cried when I came home from a long trip, its just not how the animal is designed.

Just my two cents
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

luluizzi (07-27-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun J View Post
    How is this a fact?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by van_garret2000 View Post
    How is this a fact?
    I want to know the same thing. A fact requires proof. If there is proof that snakes can't love or hate, I'm interested in seeing it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun J View Post
    how would you know? are you a snake? nope, didnt think so.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mariah Leigh Mills For This Useful Post:

minguss (11-24-2011)

Page 1 of 31 1234567891011 ... LastLast