Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,832

1 members and 2,831 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Does your snake love you?

Voters
1668. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know my snake loves me!

774 46.40%
  • I know my snake doesn't care. It does not feel emotions.

894 53.60%
Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 276768697071727374757677
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: I think my snake loves me

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    i think snakes are much more intelligent than people realize - which is being confirmed with recent intelligence studies pertaining to them - i also think they’re capable of base emotions and are emotionally intelligent - i aim to do more research into this however i would point out anecdotally that there have been peer reviewed studies involving bees and arachnids which demonstrated that they are capable of experiencing base emotions eg: when subjected to negative stimuli they produced more chemicals that we typically associate with fear and stress in humans - insomuch as reptiles can be socialized and insomuch as humans can form bonds overtime with specific snakes who do indeed feel these base emotions i think i could say they love me in that sort of Star Trek Data “I’ve gotten use to you” sort of way you know
    Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    The two main "emotions" I think most if not all animals can feel is stress and contentment. I believe reptiles also possess fear and familiarity, and some more may experience a food-associated or pseudo-companionship type of relationship. Many definitely enjoy the warmth from people too. I have owned frogs which, at the very least, can understand the behaviors and actions I took before I fed them and of course turtles often splash around and reach for their owners in their tanks if they think they are being fed. Its very cute
    I agree. Not based on any official study, but just my experience of many years living with & knowing so many snakes. And seeing that they remember & trust me, even when not handled often, & that trust carries over to others when I've shared them, even at the vet's office. None of my snakes have ever bit anyone else once tame with me- I'm not calling it love- more like trust- feeling safe. And it makes sense to me- in the wild, they learn their way around & learn where they are safe from predators- when they're captive pets, we're part of their environment that they learn to trust. If things change around them, they're instinctively unsettled until they learn they're still safe.

I do remember reading that snakes that are rehomed are more likely to get sick- ie. their immune system responds to stress much as ours does- stress negatively affects health. That's why anytime I get a new snake, I try to treat them like a newborn in the ICU- lots of "TLC" while they settle in, & hands off for a while. New snakes- whether shipped from a breeder or from a store or an expo- have often been thru a LOT & exposed to other diseases along the way- so you want them to remain healthy & have their immune system work as well as possible.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-02-2022 at 01:50 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I agree. Not based on any official study, but just my experience of many years living with & knowing so many snakes. And seeing that they remember & trust me, even when not handled often, & that trust carries over to others when I've shared them, even at the vet's office. None of my snakes have ever bit anyone else once tame with me- I'm not calling it love- more like trust- feeling safe. And it makes sense to me- in the wild, they learn their way around & learn where they are safe from predators- when they're captive pets, we're part of their environment that they learn to trust. If things change around them, they're instinctively unsettled until they learn they're still safe.

I do remember reading that snakes that are rehomed are more likely to get sick- ie. their immune system responds to stress much as ours does- stress negatively affects health. That's why anytime I get a new snake, I try to treat them like a newborn in the ICU- lots of "TLC" while they settle in, & hands off for a while. New snakes- whether shipped from a breeder or from a store or an expo- have often been thru a LOT & exposed to other diseases along the way- so you want them to remain healthy & have their immune system work as well as possible.
    i’ve only had 1 non-arachnid/non-snake animal, which was my childhood dog, who was a female pure bred chow chow and i did research once and saw that she as an adult dog had the same cognitive and intellectual abilities of a human child aged 3-5 years old - so it’s like with that, combined with observable behavior that we know eg: how Cuban boas will hunt like velociraptors for bats in caves or how retics will construct nests or how king cobras will mark their territories and recognize the markings of other snakes - i truly think their much more “conscious” than we often think - makes me wonder how things could be if we explored that more because another thing i think about is how our behavior effects their behavior and how if we act all closed off because we assume their mindless instinct machines how that probably adversely effects the relationship between keeper and snake
    het for nothing but groovy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2023)

Thanks
    i also would say per your second paragraph - that’s the real struggle - my coastal carpets are as big as pencils and I’m *dying* to start handling them and taming them but i know it’s best to wait 😩🤌

5. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2023)

Thanks

i also would say per your second paragraph - that’s the real struggle - my coastal carpets are as big as pencils and I’m *dying* to start handling them and taming them but i know it’s best to wait 😩🤌
    How long has it been now? Sometimes you can take a cue from how "outgoing" (active) they are.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (11-03-2022)

Thanks

i’ve only had 1 non-arachnid/non-snake animal, which was my childhood dog, who was a female pure bred chow chow and i did research once and saw that she as an adult dog had the same cognitive and intellectual abilities of a human child aged 3-5 years old - so it’s like with that, combined with observable behavior that we know eg: how Cuban boas will hunt like velociraptors for bats in caves or how retics will construct nests or how king cobras will mark their territories and recognize the markings of other snakes - i truly think their much more “conscious” than we often think - makes me wonder how things could be if we explored that more because another thing i think about is how our behavior effects their behavior and how if we act all closed off because we assume their mindless instinct machines how that probably adversely effects the relationship between keeper and snake
    Of course it often colors the relationship- when people assume what animals are capable of, it's very easy to miss what's really there- we're most likely to see what we expect to see- it's more of a challenge to keep an open mind. It's a bigger problem to assume what they're incapable of- and when they're referred to as "dumb animals" (as in agriculture & bred for monetary gain) then many feel that "anything goes" for treatment, use & abuse- after all, they're "only animals". I'd rather assume too much than too little.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (11-03-2022)

Thanks

How long has it been now? Sometimes you can take a cue from how "outgoing" (active) they are.
    i have had them for over a month and the female has shed once and i am unsure if the male has yet because their enclosures are actually p complicated lol rn they’re extremely defensive, and will often run up to the front of the enclosure when i open then front opening window doors and will also attack the water stream when i give them water (which is honestly something i haven’t seen outside of my Feather-Leg + Togo Starburst baboon tarantulas) - so needless to say they’re über active lol

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Of course it often colors the relationship- when people assume what animals are capable of, it's very easy to miss what's really there- we're most likely to see what we expect to see- it's more of a challenge to keep an open mind. It's a bigger problem to assume what they're incapable of- and when they're referred to as "dumb animals" (as in agriculture & bred for monetary gain) then many feel that "anything goes" for treatment, use & abuse- after all, they're "only animals". I'd rather assume too much than too little.

I know a lot of farmers and animal breeders (I show rabbits) and just wanted to clarify that most farmers and breeders do actually care about their animals. Less stress=better quality products whether it be meat, wool, eggs, milk, etc. as stress can negatively impact that and more, plus the risk of diseases spreading is higher with stressed animals. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely people who do abuse the fact that animals will survive and breed in less than ideal conditions and I have seen that, as well as poor handling at various livestock shows but the majority of people raising livestock, poultry, or rabbits for food and show are not neglecting and/or abusing them. However, I don't know enough to say that about people breeding animals like dogs, cats, goldfish, etc. since I'm mostly around livestock breeders and farmers, although I do definitely disagree with the lack of any type of mental stimulation I see in the enclosures of some "pet" breeders' enclosures.
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-03-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    I know a lot of farmers and animal breeders (I show rabbits) and just wanted to clarify that most farmers and breeders do actually care about their animals. Less stress=better quality products whether it be meat, wool, eggs, milk, etc. as stress can negatively impact that and more, plus the risk of diseases spreading is higher with stressed animals. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely people who do abuse the fact that animals will survive and breed in less than ideal conditions and I have seen that, as well as poor handling at various livestock shows but the majority of people raising livestock, poultry, or rabbits for food and show are not neglecting and/or abusing them. However, I don't know enough to say that about people breeding animals like dogs, cats, goldfish, etc. since I'm mostly around livestock breeders and farmers, although I do definitely disagree with the lack of any type of mental stimulation I see in the enclosures of some "pet" breeders' enclosures.
    Yes, I agree- & it's really too big of a subject to generalize- I was thinking more about cattle feed lots, & puppy mill types- & even some reptile wholesalers- & the fact that many people buying just would rather not know what goes on & therefore they tacitly accept it by continuing to purchase. But yes, on the local level you mean, many DO care a great deal & provide excellent care. Part of the problem is that in such a big world with animals marketed far from where they originated, we don't always see the sources to know- & that's the problem.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (11-03-2022)

Thanks
    this is about bees but i think it only stands to reason - if this is true of bees then what about other, more complex life forms, like snakes?

study:
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...03347222002366
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 02-25-2023 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I feel like I should chime in because this is such a longstanding thread here!

I didn't answer the questions in the original post because neither option worked for me. The current science is absolutely clear - snakes definitely feel emotions. But love? We have no way of knowing that. Heck, we can't even know for sure if the particular combination of mental and physical responses that one person calls 'love' are really the same thing as what another person labels as 'love'. So I just don't think we have the capacity, language, or understanding of their cognitive processes to know about other species' experiences of emotion.

I can't judge keepers who believe their snakes love them; I can't judge keepers who believe their snakes don't love them (I will admit to being a little judgmental about those who claim that snakes are basically just instinct-driven tubes with no emotional responses - only because the science that claimed that is so, so outdated and disproven). But I do know that my snakes recognize me and trust me. A few of them (not all) actually seem to seek out some contact with me.

Achieving that degree of trust not only across species, but with an animal that is not domesticated, is an incredible experience. And it's enough for me.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2023),Homebody (02-27-2023),OatBoii (03-28-2023)

Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 276768697071727374757677