Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,835

1 members and 2,834 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Does your snake love you?

Voters
1668. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know my snake loves me!

774 46.40%
  • I know my snake doesn't care. It does not feel emotions.

894 53.60%
Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I think my snake loves me

Quote Originally Posted by BeansTheDerp View Post
    I voted yes, but for a reason I will explain. one day I was cleaning my ball python's enclosure and I had him in a snake bag, the bag was far away from me and between me and him was a vent blowing warm air that was around his enclosure temps. the vent was closer to him than I was, like way closer, but instead of going to the vent he went to ME. and crawled up in my lap and looked up at me and curled up into the "my body is my pillow" position WHICH MEANS IT IS RELAXED AND CALM. and yeah every will say "Oh that's because it trusts you" well, doesn't trust have to do with love, like seriously! you trust something because you feel calm and good around them and you love them. and seriously how does the scientist that found out they're missing a part of their brain not know if they might have a different part of the brain that allows them to feel the emotion? and plus, scientists thought they didn't have ears, but they were just covered by scales. and so many people have TRIED to make me think other wise, but what about the time when I was crying because I got to stressed out about something, AND THIS LITTLE NOODLE, looked me in the eyes, and pressed his nose onto mine and held it there for a little bit. THIS LIL DUDE BOOPED ME. and another time when I was upset he went around my neck and started flexing his muscles (keep in mind he's only a year old this wouldn't be some sort of mating thing or whatever) and it was like he was massaging me, he's done it to my dad as well but the things he does, it's so obvious. you can SEE IT, in his eyes and his behavior. and when at the vet they came out and they were like, "he was so behaved! usually they're a bit like 'ew no get away' but he didn't care!"

Again it's my opinion and my proof and so many people can give different things of why he does each thing but honestly I don't see it as anything else because, when your family member is sad wouldn't you hug them? maybe give them a neck massage! also Beans let's me Boop his nose whenever and he let's me pat him on the head and pet under his chin, he'll afterwards even go into the "body is my pillow" formation, believe the stories or not, I know some of you won't, but hey if you don't want to believe me that's your loss not mine.

and another thing, how do they associate me with food if I just put the rat in the enclosure and watch him eat, I don't hand feed him, the only thing they WOULD see you as with food is that you watch them eat, and he doesn't even see me put the rat in he'll just be in his hide. so how in the world would they be able to see me as the food giver if they don't see me give the food.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

Thanks

and another thing, how do they associate me with food if I just put the rat in the enclosure and watch him eat, I don't hand feed him, the only thing they WOULD see you as with food is that you watch them eat, and he doesn't even see me put the rat in he'll just be in his hide. so how in the world would they be able to see me as the food giver if they don't see me give the food.
    They see you come in, they get fed. They associate you coming in the room and going to their enclosure with getting food. It gives them a positive association to you and they "want" to be around you because you have a positive association. They don't have the chemical in the brain for love. They might want to be around you because you benefit them but they don't "love" you.

Thanks

well my snake is in a big black tub, the top has a back pet safe mesh spot for us to see in. and he's usually in his hide so he wouldn't see anyways! and once I remove the hides, he just see's a rat in his face. and me watching him eat, you don't look at the person watching you eat and be like "oh they must have supplied this burger I now stick near their side for more burger." that's just not what you would do, and it even sounds weird for a animal.
    Last edited by BeansTheDerp; 05-13-2021 at 09:00 AM.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

, you don't look at the person watching you eat and be like "oh they must have supplied this burger I now stick near their side for more burger." that's just not what you would do, and it even sounds weird for a animal.
    This is exactly what animals do though. There are tons of examples in nature of animals associating certain areas or things with food or water, and therefore are "drawn" to them. Think about African elephants, who use the same migration routes year after year after year. They do it because they know where the water is. The matriarch of a group of elephants leads the rest of the herd down those routes because she associates them with what they need. Sea turtles will continuously go back to the same nesting grounds to lay their eggs. They don't love the route or the nesting ground, it's just ingrained into their brain to behave that way. Your snake crawls to you because every time it's gotten to eat there you are.

Your argument that a human wouldn't do that isn't entirely accurate either. How do you think humans survived on Earth as long as we have? We learn to associate certain things with danger, pain, safety, warmth, etc etc. I don't love fire, but if it's cold outside and there's a fire I know I can go over there and warm up. That's all a reptile is doing, associating you with food, safety, warmth, something that benefits them. It doesn't mean that YOU can't love your snake, but your snake doesn't love you.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 05-13-2021 at 09:31 AM.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-30-2021),Erie_herps (05-13-2021),GoingPostal (11-01-2022),hihit (05-13-2021),jmcrook (05-13-2021),KL888 (05-13-2021),Spicey (05-21-2021)

Long Island, NY; moving soon to Gainesville, FL
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    This is exactly what animals do though. There are tons of examples in nature of animals associating certain areas or things with food or water, and therefore are "drawn" to them. Think about African elephants, who use the same migration routes year after year after year. They do it because they know where the water is. The matriarch of a group of elephants leads the rest of the herd down those routes because she associates them with what they need. Sea turtles will continuously go back to the same nesting grounds to lay their eggs. They don't love the route or the nesting ground, it's just ingrained into their brain to behave that way. Your snake crawls to you because every time it's gotten to eat there you are.
    And also there are tons of examples of training animals in captivity to associate certain sounds/visuals/smells with food. You can train backyard chickens to run to you when you ring a bell by ringing the bell whenever you feed them or give them treats. Do the chickens physically observe the bell handing them the food? No, obviously not, but they learned over time that "sound of bell => food is here". Clicker training is also very much a thing with many types of animals, who learn to associate the sound of the clicker with food. The snake in question probably learned that "human standing over enclosure watching me => food is here" (also even if he doesn't see you, he can probably sense you in other ways, such as smell, or the sound of the enclosure being opened, etc).
    Everyone's weird in their own stupid way.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hihit For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (05-14-2021)

Long Island, NY; moving soon to Gainesville, FL
    Thanks

And I'll add that even cats and dogs, which I regard as fairly intelligent animals with a higher emotional capacity than snakes, make the same types of food associations as your snake probably is. And humans make food associations too, even if we don't realize it. We're all just animals, after all.
    Everyone's weird in their own stupid way.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hihit For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (05-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Anyone else having this thread highlighted as having new messages despite none being here?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Anyone else having this thread highlighted as having new messages despite none being here?
    Yes, but that's normal- it's because someone answered the poll- so that shows up as a "post".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (11-02-2022),Homebody (05-16-2022)

Thanks

i think snakes are much more intelligent than people realize - which is being confirmed with recent intelligence studies pertaining to them - i also think they’re capable of base emotions and are emotionally intelligent - i aim to do more research into this however i would point out anecdotally that there have been peer reviewed studies involving bees and arachnids which demonstrated that they are capable of experiencing base emotions eg: when subjected to negative stimuli they produced more chemicals that we typically associate with fear and stress in humans - insomuch as reptiles can be socialized and insomuch as humans can form bonds overtime with specific snakes who do indeed feel these base emotions i think i could say they love me in that sort of Star Trek Data “I’ve gotten use to you” sort of way you know
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 11-01-2022 at 05:16 PM.
    het for nothing but groovy

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (11-02-2022),Bogertophis (11-02-2022)

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

The two main "emotions" I think most if not all animals can feel is stress and contentment. I believe reptiles also possess fear and familiarity, and some more may experience a food-associated or pseudo-companionship type of relationship. Many definitely enjoy the warmth from people too. I have owned frogs which, at the very least, can understand the behaviors and actions I took before I fed them and of course turtles often splash around and reach for their owners in their tanks if they think they are being fed. Its very cute
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-02-2022)

Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677 LastLast