Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,274

3 members and 3,271 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hey... Im new...

Hey im new to this forum and to snakes. I have had many other reptiles in the past, like anoles, bearded dragons, and varying species of gecko, but i have finally decided to venture into the world of snakes and purchase a ball python... i havent got it yet and i am first making sure that i have everything set up right... so here i go...

20 gallon long(i have many other tanks that i can use if he outgrows this one[fish], i have a spare 29gallon, 30gallon, and 60gallon)

for substrate i am going to use firbark...

i have 2 really cool logs that i am going to put in there, along with a kinda half-log thing for a hiding place and i have a lot of fake plants to put in there.

i have a spray bottle that i am going to spray in the tank 3 times a day and i have a pretty big water dish so he can cool off and this will aslo add to the humidity...

im gonna get a couple more thermometers and a hygrometer.

im gonna keep the basking area at around 90'f and the rest of the tank between 85-75'f also i have a couple reflector domes to use for the lights along with the florescent that runs the length of the tank. is it ok to use them for the heat, or should i use something else.

tell me if i missed anything...

Thanks

Re: Hey... Im new...

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyhysteria9669
    Hey im new to this forum and to snakes. I have had many other reptiles in the past, like anoles, bearded dragons, and varying species of gecko, but i have finally decided to venture into the world of snakes and purchase a ball python... i havent got it yet and i am first making sure that i have everything set up right... so here i go...

20 gallon long(i have many other tanks that i can use if he outgrows this one[fish], i have a spare 29gallon, 30gallon, and 60gallon)

for substrate i am going to use firbark...

i have 2 really cool logs that i am going to put in there, along with a kinda half-log thing for a hiding place and i have a lot of fake plants to put in there.

i have a spray bottle that i am going to spray in the tank 3 times a day and i have a pretty big water dish so he can cool off and this will aslo add to the humidity...

im gonna get a couple more thermometers and a hygrometer.

im gonna keep the basking area at around 90'f and the rest of the tank between 85-75'f also i have a couple reflector domes to use for the lights along with the florescent that runs the length of the tank. is it ok to use them for the heat, or should i use something else.

tell me if i missed anything...
    Welcome! Some thoughts for you...

Half logs dont make good hides. Balls like small tight spaces where they can hide and half logs are just too open.

Your temps should be 92-94 on the hot and 82-84 on the cool. Anything lower than 80 for extended periods and you are risking respiratory infections. Balls dont require any supplemental lighting. I personally would also use an under tank heater for heat. Heat lamps tend to dry out the air. Additionally, you shouldnt need to mist that often. You dont want them in a wet environment. Good luck and check our care sheets for more info.

Jamie

Thanks

To go along with what was already stated. This thermometer/ hydrometer works great.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...7GT&lpage=none
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Thanks for the input... i have a heater to put under the tank... dotn know why i didnt think about it before... ill use that... ok and ill make sure the temp satys up there... adn ill cut down on the spraying to about once a day. ok i wont use a log, but do u know anything elase i could use??? and i just use the flourescent lighting to use it as a light while i am checking up on him...

open to suggestions!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyhysteria9669
    Thanks for the input... i have a heater to put under the tank... dotn know why i didnt think about it before... ill use that... ok and ill make sure the temp satys up there... adn ill cut down on the spraying to about once a day. ok i wont use a log, but do u know anything elase i could use??? and i just use the flourescent lighting to use it as a light while i am checking up on him...

open to suggestions!!!
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ighlight=hides

The rest sounds good!

Thanks

Thanks i think i have a ceramic pot with a pretty good sized hole so i'll look into that.

or maybe even a basket

thanks

Thanks

I'd pointedly avoid fir, cedar or pine as bedding for reptiles.

Aspen is ok if you are looking for a wood-based cip tupe bedding though - newspaper serves fine as well.

Welcome to the site - these great folks will have you hooked up in no time!

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

Aslo, make sure you don't get those stick on thermometers or dials. Get a digital thermometer. Lights aren't good for ball pythons, because they can suck out the humidity, and they can't be on 24 hours a day. Get a heat pad. They work much better, and you can leave them on all day, all night. You are also going to need a thermostat to keep the heat at the right spot. Dimmers and rheostats work good too. Just whatever you do, don't get the thermostats that cost 30 bucks. They are VERY bad.

Welcome to the site.
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Thanks

ok ill keep that in mind... thanks for the input

Thanks

ALSO, I forgot to mention tubs (like rubbermaid, sterlite) work very well for snakes. All of my snakes are in tubs and I would never even think about putting them in an aquarium, unless it's a corn snake.
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast