Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,826

2 members and 2,824 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

My new Blackthroat

Hello.
    I went to the show to determine what type of monitor I wanted. The peach throat is gorgeous, but she tolerates handling barely. I talked to a woman about her blackthroat at the show, I read up on them on Proexotics who said they never had a dissatified owner of an Ionides(sp?) so I decided on them instead of a tegu(honestly I heard great things about both, but I liked the look of the black throat more than the tegu).
    I was TOLD that it was captive hatched, but I believe more likely farm hatched.
    The guy looked and said his best guess was it might be a female, so I named her Moggie.
    Here are some pictures.

I'm currantly soaking her, and she is definately shedding. I will of course take new pictures when she has finsihed shedding. I am going to make a appointment with an exotics vet this week so she can be wormed and checked out.
    I already trimmed the tips of her nails.
    Wolfy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: My new Blackthroat

let her shed on her own, get her dirt to burrow in, no monitor is for handling. if you want lizards to handle dont get monitors. if you want to clip an animals nails get a dog. that looks like too small of an enclosure also. im sorry to sound kinda harsh but it's the truth.
    -marshall

Thanks

I only tipped her nails slightly.
    THe people I've talked to handle their monitors. I'm not about to think she is a dog.
    That is a WAY too small enclosure, temporary until tomorrow when I can go get a lid for the other large tank. Thanks for the concern on her, though. I know you are thinking of the animal which I totally respect.
    I am thinking of getting this for her permament cage.
    http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=V...ure&lPictID=86

And when she outgrows it, I will build a custom enclosure or simply buy a much alrger one. She is SO getting dirt too! I've heard how much they like digging, so she will not only have dirt, but a few pieces of slate rock to dig under, to sit and bask on, etc.
    I don't want a reptile that will sit in my lap and lick my hand, fetch the newspaper, I want a reptile that won't freak out and stress simply because I need to move her, and that I can occasionally interact with.
    Wolfy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=1110696,1110696

she will probably outgrow that 90L in 5-6 months if cared for properly.

who exactly have you talked to?? monitors are not a handling type of pet.
    -marshall

Thanks

I've read that a few times. That is what I am looking for. And the three people I know that had black throats handled them a lot. One was carried around a lot, and sat on the couch next to the owner some. All three enjoyed a good scratch, when THEY approached and rubbed, they liked a good scratch and then would sit.
    Like I said, yeah, they can be a handable pet. They CANNOT be a dog. I've done quite a bit of research, and talked to people at Proexotics as well.
    I figured that she would outgrow the cage in 8-12 monthes, but 6 months gives me MORE than enough time to get a custom enclosure built, at which point I can use the "old" smaller one at my shop to show off a python or something.
    I have several relatives that are carpenters etc, so building is quite easy.
    Wolfy.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound
    Like I said, yeah, they can be a handable pet.
    looks like you and those 3 people got it then boss.
    -marshall