Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,434

2 members and 3,432 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mourning

Thanks

Unhappy Mourning

I'm having a difficult time right now and just wanted someone to "talk to".

Our pet rats started out as intended feeders, but became pets.

Smudge was MAYBE 2 yrs old but appears to have had a stroke 3 weeks ago. On the 1st he was very unstable and lethargic and wobbly. We took him in to an emergency appt. He had lost soooooo much weight so quickly, and the vet couldn't find any myco/RI/tumors but gave Smudgey tetracycline treatment.

He couldn't even sit up and hold his food, and after two days of not much hope he started getting better, but the only eating was what I was giving him w/the syringe of A/D mixed w/milk (I forgot...no dairy) but then I'd thin it w/water. 10cc of lactated ringers 1/day because he was dehydrated.

Last week he actually started eating his yogies on his own, as long as they were under his nose, and the pureed squash & cat food. He would still eat small pieces of the bread soaked w/olive oil.

Came home this morning to him sounding really stuffy, and repeated sneezing---not quite gasping, but just not doing well. I would have LOVED to stay home night after night to feed him every 2 hrs, but I couldn't.

He died in my arms this morning around 0730, before I could even get him to the vet in an emergency appt. at 9.

Luckily, Squeeky is his daughter, but I'm having a hard time w/this right now.

Thx for listening.

RIP Smudgey. You'll be missed.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

Unhappy Re: Mourning

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I send my condolences to you. It is hard losing an animal regardless if Smudge was going to be a feeder or a pet. I actually had a hairless pet rat when I was a kid. I never will underestimate the intelligence or personality of rats since I owned "Splinter" (teenage mutant ninja turtles if you remember). He taught me to respect creatures regardless of what part of the food chain they are on, I was just so used to feeding my boa adult rats at the time. It was hard losing him after a couple years of ownership and bonding, he will always be missed.

Again I am sorry for your loss. Long live the memory of Smudge your pet rat.

-Danny

Thanks

Re: Mourning

Thx Danny!

It doesnt help that my closest friend said "well, just feed it to your snake". Smudge lost sooooooo much wt, that even if he WASN'T a PET, he would have only been an appetizer to Hera.

Now I have to tell Robin when I call her tomorrow. I'm sooooo NOT looking forward to that call.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

Oh no, I am so sorry about what happened to him. At least you know that you did everything you could; I know from experience that rats make awesome pets (much better than most other small furry critters.) At least he is not suffering anymore with that horrible disease; sounds like you did everything you could.
    I would possibly have the vet do a postmortem, just to see what had caused all of this.. I wish you my sincere condolences.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

I can definitely understand your pain my rat's are growing on me , especially the female's we are keeping back.When they are pink's I have no problem feeding them off but when they start getting bigger they start gettting cuter.The female's my Wife is keeping are already her pet's I can't even touch them. I'm positive you gave your little buddy a great life RIP.
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Thanks

Thx soooo much guys! I knew ppl here would understand how I'm feeling.

I'm getting razzed "because it's only a rat", but he was a lover pet. Even having gotten him from the local feed store, once he got over his nervousness and would let us handle him, he liked to be petted and held.

Gin, I considered a necropsy and mentioned it to Dr. F, but he's almost certain it was a stroke because of the tipping and coordination problems Smudge had and said the expense wasn't necessary.

I'm glad he's not hurting any more!!! I really am, but my <3 hurts.

R.
    Sweety314

Thanks

I am terribly sorry for your loss, Nobody can take away your pain from losing a pet no matter what kind of pet it is! I am sorry you had to go through it!
    1.0.0 Brother (Kilo, Pain in the neck)
    0.1.0 Sister in law (Blondie, GGRRR but gotta <3 her)
    2.0.0 Ball Python (Kilo my baby boy, Gonzo My new male)
    1.2.0 Breeding Rats (No pups yet)
    0.0.1 Gecko (unamed at this moment)
    0.0.1 Chinese Water Dragon (Mister)

You can lead a horse to water, But you can't make it drink.....

Thanks

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. Your heart will heal with time. It's never easy to lose a pet, and it sounds like you did everything possible. Shoot most people wouldn't have even taken a rat into the vet in the first place. Just try and remember all the time you did get to spend with him. Do you have any favorite pictures of him to share?
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

The sad part is that rats only live about 2 years or so. It sounds like Smudge did have a lovely long life really and was a well loved and cared for pet who will be greatly missed. Tell anyone who gives you the "it was JUST a rat" comment that love isn't bound by species and it's too bad they think only certain animals "deserve" our care and attention. Rats actually make wonderful pets but even if they aren't a pet they are still a living creature that we house and tend so they deserve respect for that if nothing else. Even my feeder rats get the best life I can provide. I know I'll be sad for every breeder that eventually passes away because they are named and I know them each by their unique little rattie selves.

If you have some pics we'd love if you want to share them.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

When my first rat (Camilla) died when I was in third or fourth grade, I missed school for a couple days. My older cousin got made fun of for bursting into tears in class over my rat (she's 4 years older than me.) People don't understand how smart they are!
    -Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast