Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,455

0 members and 1,455 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

I know against some peoples wishes my minds made up

Ok, I have come to the conclusion that unless I want to throw away money i'm going to have to get something from the store that sold me some sick animals. Someone had mentioned that I should use the money at the store for some supplies but i have everything I could need for a hatchling or sub adult so I couldn't do that. The only thing I could come up with is to purchase another animal and get him checked out by the vet. I have done my research and I believe im going to go with an asian water monitor. It was a monitor that I have had my eye on for a few weeks or so and now I have MORE than enough room. I have a few 10 gals , 20gal, 72 gal, and a 6 foot cage to start off with. Now the way I understand it is that a healthy water will grow up to 3 feet or more his first year so that will give me plenty of time to build or convert a bedroom for adequite living facilites. Unless something happens from now til tuesday im pretty sure this will be my choice and I hope ya'll will support me through this and help as you have before. Thanks, Trey

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Re: I know against some peoples wishes my minds made up

People here are only giving you advice on what would be best in their opinions.
    Personally, I think you shouldn't get something that will be that big right off, especially not from a place that has shown to sell sick animals too.
    But if you are going to do it anyway, then at least you have this place to advise you on how to best care for it.
    I was advised to not get a peach-throat as they are not handleable, but others told me with work they could be, so I ended up with one.
    I just don't htink that an Asian water monitor is a good choice for someone that hasn't had a lot of experiance with monitors. But its your money, and your choise.
    Wolfy

Thanks

Well thanks. I guess im still bitter about what happened and I expected to get a hard time about it. The only other monitor I might get is a baby black throat but i'll have to talk to them about it.

Thanks

no offence trey but i have a question. if you dont want to answer that is perfectly ok with me. that said i was wondering how old are you. or if you dont want to answer could you at least tell us weather or not you are still at home with the folks or do you have your own place. because if you are still in school and at home with the folks it might not be the right time. but if you are on your own i say what the hell. if this is what you want go for it just read the care sheet on them at www.proexotics.com.
    if you do decide to get one i am behind you all the way and you will have my full support. best of luck let us know what you decide. and if you do get one post a ton of pics.
    matt fisher
    Last edited by fish21; 08-13-2006 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks

lol, no problem buddy. Im 25 and I do stay with my grandmother but it's to help her out so she doesn't have to go into a nursing home. We live in a 5 bedroom house and only 2 rooms are taken. As far as me being in school, I am but I only take one class and that's my EMT so im not consumed with school.I hope this answers it. I also wear a 30x30 lol, j/k

Thanks

ok cool i just want to make sure that you werent some young 15 year old kid. who wasnt mature enaugh to know what they were getting in to. hell you are a year older than me. haha.
    i love my water. he is verry hardy and has done quite well. i would also like to commend you for what you do for your gram, that is a great thing to do.
    if you are like me. when you get a monitor you want the biggest one out there. waters are huge but also some of the tamest ones you can own. akies are cool but if i wanted something that size i will just stay with my bearded dragons. they are a hell of a lot tamer. you have just had a run of bad luck thus far. hopefully third time is the charm!

matt fisher

Thanks

here are some pics of mine.

Thanks

Thanks for the commend. My aunt ( her daughter ) just ran out on her and doesn't have anything to do with her. The sad thing is she lives 10 minutes from our house and she hasn't been here to as much say hello in about 8 months but this isn't about that. Yeah, I was told that the waters tame down and really enjoy company from humans. I tell ya I really like the sulfer's but I don't have a few thousand for one right now.

Thanks

sulfers are cool. but to me they aloways look a little on the sickley side. even though they are not there color just dosnt do it for me. do you have any pics of what exactly you are looking for.
    how much are the ones at the store where you are looking.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fish21
    ok cool i just want to make sure that you werent some young 15 year old kid. who wasnt mature enaugh to know what they were getting in to.
    hold on now, what was that? im 13 and doing fine, thank you.

he's grown from this:

to this, since may 23:

thats from 7 inches to over a foot.

its not the age that counts when it comes to keeping reptiles, its responsibility and maturity. i hate it when people call teens irresponsible and immature. dont get me wrong, i know some real idiot teens but im certainly not one.

now, onto Trey. im with you if you know what you're getting into. waters are the second largest bodied varanid (komodos being the first) and they take a lot of money, space, and time.

to start him off put him in the 72 gallon. the 20's will be usless and he'll be done with either in a month or two. be sure to cover almost all of the screen, leaving very little to hold in heat and humidity.

after he's outgrown the 72 move him into the 6 and be building the home-made enclosure this whole time. keep in mind for cage it needs to be twice as long as the animals length and as wide as the animals length. it needs to have a large pool, atleast big enough for him to submerge himself into. you can even use waterland tubs for this once you've finished the permanent enclosure.

if you have any specific questions just ask.
    Last edited by mr~python; 08-13-2006 at 07:29 PM. Reason: adding more
    -marshall

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast