Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,918

1 members and 2,917 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Need advice on Mean Kingsnake

I have a female kingsnake that is a constant pain in the butt. She is so agressive that it has become a hassle to do her regular tank maintenance. I have been bitten by her at least a dozen times.

When she bites me she holds on for dear life and tries to swallow me.
    I posted once before and someone suggested that I should try feeding her more. So I tested the theory by dumping 4 hopper mice down her in two days. This made no difference in temperment. She is so food crazy I bet she would eat 10 hoppers at a time.

Any more suggestions? If not, I am trading or selling her off.

Thanks

Re: Need advice on Mean Kingsnake

How old is she? Can you descride in detail her housing and feeding situation?

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

how long have you had her?
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Need advice on Mean Kingsnake

Try feeding her in another cage or tub.Every time the cage is opened she thinks its food time in turn attacks.Give this a try and see if she stops trying to kill you.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

A lot of kingsnakes are just nippy.. not necessarily because they are hungry, just because they have attitudes.

Get a good pair of gloves and try handling her regularly for short periods of time.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

I think she is about a year and a half to two years old. I have had her for a year in december. 36" long and maybe inch in diameter. Her regular feeding schedule is once a week. She gets a frozen thawed hopper just big enough so you can see a little bulge in her mid section. I do not feed her in the tank. I remove all of my snakes and feed them in tubs. Her tank is a 20 long with thermostat controlled under tank heat. Stays about 88 on warm side and about 75-77 on cool side. I simulate a night drop of a few degrees by using timers on my lighting system. The cool side drops a couple of degrees but the UTH stays on all the time. Room humidity stays about 35-40%. Her sheds are always one piece. Currently I am using the walnut shell substate because I got a huge bag for cheap. After that is used up I will probably switch her to cypress mulch.

I have started using gloves to remove her to avoid being bitten. They dont hurt. Its just annoying to have to remove a snake from your hand. It seems like she is doing it out of desperation because she will actually advance you. She will not back away.

Thanks

what kind of a kingsnake is it? i have a speckled florida king and she is the absolute nicest snake ever, never shy, never aggressive, she is the nicest pet i've ever had. another thing to try would be washing your hands before handling her, its possible that she smells something that sets her off but most likely i'd say its just an attitude problem. thats the trouble with snakes, you cant smack them on the butt like you could a dog or squirt them with water like you could a cat. how exactly do you discipline a snake... bad snake, no, no, bad snake!

Thanks

Talking Re: Need advice on Mean Kingsnake

Quote Originally Posted by asther00tsundo
    what kind of a kingsnake is it? i have a speckled florida king and she is the absolute nicest snake ever, never shy, never aggressive, she is the nicest pet i've ever had. another thing to try would be washing your hands before handling her, its possible that she smells something that sets her off but most likely i'd say its just an attitude problem. thats the trouble with snakes, you cant smack them on the butt like you could a dog or squirt them with water like you could a cat. how exactly do you discipline a snake... bad snake, no, no, bad snake!
    You bite it back .Just joking .I have a pair of banded kings and they could care less what i do with them.Take your time and be patiant(spelling),it might calm down someday.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

It sounds like a "typical female"..... oooops, I didn't say that!
    Scott Collien

Sputnik's Reptiles

Thanks

Talking Re: Need advice on Mean Kingsnake

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik
    It sounds like a "typical female"..... oooops, I didn't say that!
    O yes you did now i gotcha
    Joe Haggard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast